DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 2004 5.9 6 speed Cummins with a deck on it! I’ve got a problem with the signals from what I think is a voltage problem from the alternator maybe?... when my truck is NOT running and I just turn the key to on position all my lights and signals work perfect but when I start the truck my interior lights will be on normally(that’s if truck door is open) and all of a sudden a few seconds later they will get instantly a bit brighter and the blower fan actually speeds up as well and at that same time when a try my signals that’s when they start to blink really fast depending which signal I try and my rear signals do like a quick pulse!!... when it’s idling this will happen on and off, the signals will work normally one second then they start blinking really fast for a while again then back to normal and so on, but when I actually drive the truck around the signals are always blinking fast and it’s not good! Any help would be awesome, thanks!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, its your alternator.

Not only is your voltage going sky high, its likely to be AC as well as DC.

You'll be lucky if your battery doesn't blow up.

Back in the olden days, vehicles had external voltage regulators, but nowadays . . .

They're built into the alternators.

I recommend putting a new set of belts in there while your at it.

If it has 100k or more you may want to consider a new water pump/thermostat etc, etc.

Believe me, you won't regret it.

Spend 500 bucks now instead of thousands later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I’ve done some reading and the voltage regulator is not in the alternator but in the ecm so would you still think the alternator is the problem? And I tested my battery and my volts go up to about 15-15.5 volts which is higher than normal correct?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did you check it on the AC scale when stuff is glowing brightly ?

I suspect the screen will go blank when it happens. You know what that means ?

The meter can't handle it.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the battery when its running.

Damn, just take it to an alternator shop and say - fix it !

Don't get hurt man, its not worth it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts