DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i have problem with the volts the alternator puts out, changed the 2 batteries and the alternator yesterday, only goes up to 12-13 volts, befor it stayed at 16 if im right, what could cause this?? i changed the batteries last week, the the volts where at 12 and when i gave gas it moved up to 16 and down again, now i changed the alternator and it stays steady at 12 ??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not sure what type of vehicle you have but it sounds like you have a voltage regulator problem. Your vehicle may have a type that's external to the alternator.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I think 13.4 to 14.3 is the norm...I would check your voltage with a more reliable digital multimeter, you can probably pick one up on ebay for $1.99, used. I would also check for corrosion at both ends of your batt terminal wire ends, paying particular attention to the ground wire connections NOT at the battery. I had this happen years ago, and it turned out to be the block to body bonding wire , it was totally green and rotten. R2'd it and it straightened up several problems. If you cannot find a bonding wire from the block to firewall, it certainly couldn't hurt.... Good Luck!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts