DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2017 Ram SLT and it didn't come with a backup camera it's the smaller uconnect. I called a shop that does all the installs for the dealers and he wants $500.00 OEM camera Is this a good price seems a little high?

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
If it's the OEM camera the shop will also have to add the harness for the camera. From what I've heard the harness for the camera isn't there if it didn't come with the camera from the factory. That means no only installing the camera, but running the harness from the tailgate to the cab. If it were me I might put that money towards anaftermarket camera and a better radio in the truck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

I've never been a big stereo guy and when i had my dakota i never had a problem parallel parking but with the ram i just can't judge how close i am. I must be gettin old lol. I really wanted to know if the price seems fair.

·
Premium Member
32,787 Posts

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
You don't need a backup camera, but they sure are nice to have.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
I have a 2015 SLT with the 5.0 Radio . I had the camera and harness installed and Flashed by my dealer for $525.00 so $500.00 is a good price for a OEM kit ! The OEM kit w/harness is a bit less then $300.00 if I remember..
I do not use it alot but it really helps when backing into a tight space ! It is a nice feature

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just had one installed at dealer - camera kit with harness, etc was $260 but I had a coupon, I think it's just over $300 normally. Quoted 2 hours labor to install so would have been just over $500 to install and flash but it took them two days so they knocked the labor priced down a bit - but yeah $500-550 is pretty much the going rate for an OEM backup camera and install by a dealer.

You can buy other setups, infotainment.com offers a few packages if you wanted to do it yourself and save the labor, but you'll still need a flash either by the dealer or aftermarket tool to allow the radio to see the camera signal. Note if you use an aftermarket camera/harness you won't have the alignment lines turning in sync with the steering - if that's important to you.

I do find the image is very small on the RA2 radio (it's a square 4:3 image while the RA2 5" radio screen is more of a "wide" screen), so the image doesn't fill the screen. Sort of like watching an old SD TV show on a Widescreen TV with the black bars on the side. It actually prompted me to upgrade to the 8.4" RA4 which I'm putting in this weekend. I had already been considering upgrading the radio, and the small backup camera image pushed me over edge :).

·
Premium Member
32,787 Posts
RA4 8.4" radio with backup camera

I have not taken a pix showing the curving lines that show while turning the steering wheel :(

·
Registered
42 Posts
yeah my buddy's BH has the 8.4, it's a world of difference :Wow1:.

Here's the image on my 5"... it's a bit dark as the flash kept washing out the image - but you can see what I'm referring to with the image size, esp compared to 8.4 images above. You can also see the curving lines slightly as well as my tires were turned just a bit. 8.4" here I come lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
yeah my buddy's BH has the 8.4, it's a world of difference :Wow1:.

Here's the image on my 5"... it's a bit dark as the flash kept washing out the image - but you can see what I'm referring to with the image size, esp compared to 8.4 images above. You can also see the curving lines slightly as well as my tires were turned just a bit. 8.4" here I come lol

8.4 RA4 arrived - took about an hour to install, could have been quicker but I cut my finger routing the HVAC cable so stopped to clean it and put on a band-aid. I got the package from infotainment - I think you can track down all the parts separately a bit cheaper, but having it all in one box and head unit updated for my VIN, the guarantee, etc it was worth it to me. A bit spendy, but with Mil discount and trade in I think it is worth it.

Probably not the thread for this, but the difference is stunning. A quick call to SirusXM got my sub transferred, and everything else just works out of the box. Nav displays on the instrument panel, steering wheel controls, hvac/onscreen controls, etc. all work as expected.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts