DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my 99 dodge ram 2500 4x4 with the 5.9 24v cummins for about 2 years now it has about 316,000 miles on it. Well I went to change the Pinon seal and the hanger bearing last night when I took the yoke off the Pinon I can move it about 3/4 of inch in all directions I know that isn't a good thing what I'm wondering is should I just have the Pinon bearing replaced or do a compete overhaul with a new ring and pinion as well all new bearing from the axle hubs in or try to find a different axle assembly or upgrade to the dana 80 I currently have the dana 70 with 3.54 gears. All advice will be appreciated greatly. By the way this is my daily driver

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Might want to take the plate off the back and see what the gears look like. You can put the yoke back on(with the nut preloaded) and see what the back lash is. If it's excessive you will have to dig in deeper.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are two tapered bearings in there so when you remove the yoke you will have movement. Make sure you put the correct amount of preload on them when you put it back together.
So I've had my 99 dodge ram 2500 4x4 with the 5.9 24v cummins for about 2 years now it has about 316,000 miles on it. Well I went to change the Pinon seal and the hanger bearing last night when I took the yoke off the Pinon I can move it about 3/4 of inch in all directions I know that isn't a good thing what I'm wondering is should I just have the Pinon bearing replaced or do a compete overhaul with a new ring and pinion as well all new bearing from the axle hubs in or try to find a different axle assembly or upgrade to the dana 80 I currently have the dana 70 with 3.54 gears. All advice will be appreciated greatly. By the way this is my daily driver
It's normal to have a little play on the pinion shaft when the yoke is removed. I worked in a dodge dealership for 28 years and the way I did a pinion shaft seal is the first thing I do is make sure that the yoke has zero play. If zero play then I take a center punch and hammer a mark on the nut align that mark to another mark with the center punch on the pinion shaft. Reason being is after replacing the seal and installing that pinion nut the mark on the nut should be tightened a quarter of in inch past that mark on the pinion shaft. Doing that you should have the proper preload on the pinion bearings. Don't over tighten it. But also after removing that yoke from the pinion shaft make sure to inspect the yoke where the pinion seal rides on for a deep grove around the machined surface. If there is a deep groove then that yoke is junk. You need to replace it and still tighten that nut marked a quarter if an inch past the mark on the pinion shaft. Good to go.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From my understanding the 60 was in the light duty 2500. I have a gvw of 8800 witch from my understanding is the heavy duty 2500. And I referring to the rear axle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts