DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i finally figured out what made my abs and brake light come on and my speedo not work....why my computer needs reflashed and why my stereo keeps shorting out. Warning to everyone. go to advanced or some place like that that does free alternator testing. My alternator was putting out 17-18V not 14 like it is supposed to. Aparantly it fried my engine pc...well started to which the dealer said that that is the reason for my spotty idle and random other problems along with what made my tranny pc foul up before i rebuilt it. after talking to the dealer mechanic though he said that this is a common problem with 98-02 and early model 03 1500 and 2500 gas engines. idk if this has happened to anyone else but i just wanted to warn as many people as possible to take some kind of preventitve measures to avoid a 2grand + problem.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Thats not good

Hey thanks a ton for your insight on this. It completely sucks that this happened and sorry it cost you alot. The info is greatly appreciated. I have a 2003 ram not sure if its a early one or not but a buddy of mine can test my alt. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yup, as a mechanic I hear of this a fair bit through the trade. If you don't have a dashboard gauge, think about getting one, a volt meter is probably the way to go, if you have lots of extra accessories (stereo, driving lights, powered coolers etc) then get an amp' gauge too.
Or get a handheld volt meter (spend at least $30 on a half decent multimeter, digital if possible, for what you would need you don't need one like mine at hundreds of dollars), just test at the battery posts in volt mode (pos' to pos and Neg' to neg'), don't use your multimeter "IN-LINE" to test amps on anything more than a couple of amp's, most have a fuse for 10 amp's, some fry at less....

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Another bit of advice . If you think you have a bad alternator ."DO NOT REMOVE THE BATTERY CABLE FROM THE BATTERY WHEN IT IS RUNNING " . You could do this years ago (pre computer) . When you take the cable off it full fields the alternator which makes it put out full power . Computers , modules and almost every integrated circuit in that vehicle can't take it . Pass that on . ZAP

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
not to threadjack...

But, if I jumpstart a car off of my truck, my truck starts to idle weird and sometimes stalls out. It'll start right back up and be fine, but...it acts all weird.

And, if I hold the RPMs up to like 2000...and someone jumps off of it, they'll drop to about 1200.

Any idea? My amp gauge reads dead center all day everyday, and discharges when they try to start the car...

Idk...I haven't jumped much off computer controlled vehicles, so, I don't know what to expect...lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did your abs and brake light stay on all the time? In the last 3 years I can think of maybe 4 or 5 times I have been driving down the road and my abs light will come on and my speedometer will drop out for a second then everything goes back to normal.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nope mine is on all the time. it is still on right now actually. i figured why bother to pay to take it to the dealer if the sensors and abs system is fine all that happened was that the pc is shit now. so i just deal with it. lol or at least i deal with it for now until the summer comes and classes are over so that i can work full time again ;)

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
not to threadjack...

But, if I jumpstart a car off of my truck, my truck starts to idle weird and sometimes stalls out. It'll start right back up and be fine, but...it acts all weird.

And, if I hold the RPMs up to like 2000...and someone jumps off of it, they'll drop to about 1200.

Any idea? My amp gauge reads dead center all day everyday, and discharges when they try to start the car...

Idk...I haven't jumped much off computer controlled vehicles, so, I don't know what to expect...lol
Try and check to see if your battery needs water . Even though it may say maintenance free , you can usually still check and add water . If it needs water , I recommend going to the drug store and buying distilled water .

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you should replace your battery at least every 2-3 years anyways. Or at least try to check it to make sure that it's holding a charge every 6 months or so. just a suggestion.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I thought the life of a battery was longer then that... huh. Either way, thanks for the info! I have a 2002, so now I have something to watch out for. If my truck did this I would be so incredibly sad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts