DODGE RAM FORUM banner
81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a similar problem on my 2017, 2500 HD yesterday. This seems to be the latest thread on the topic so I thought I’d add my experience. Driving along motorway at 110 Km/hr and got “Service Electronic Braking System” and “Brake Fluid Low”. Red Brake warning light and yellow TCS light. All warnings and lights remained on constantly.
I pulled over and checked brake fluid, all good sitting a couple of millimeters below the Max line.
I turned the engine off, waited 5 minutes and turned it on again. All warnings reappeared.
I figured that as the brakes were still working fine, the fluid level was good so worst case seems to be that maybe Traction Control System was now not working.
Drove the remaining 10 Km back to where we were staying and opened up Dr Google. I did wonder whether I had the same problem as reported by the OP with hcu and abs module problems. I did a scan with my Foxwell scanner and it reported an ABS Fault.
I read somewhere on here or the ‘other’ Ram Forum about someone reported loose fuses so this morning I checked the fuses in the main fuse box under the hood. I was astounded at the number of fuses that were loose in situ. Fuses numbers 26 (antilock brakes) and 76 (antilock brakes and esc) were definitely loose. I made sure that all the fuses were pressed in tight and fired it up.
Low and behold no error messages and no stored error messages. Thanks to y’all for your input. These forums are fantastic and helped out a brother from the other side of the pond.
Fingers crossed it stays fixed?

Update..... Daym, it’s come back!

Looks like a trip to a dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Running into the same issue... Again. Worst part is, the initial failure occurred at 8k miles after the truck was 14 months old... Now I'm at 19.5k miles, but 27 months later. So my 36mon/36k warranty is out and the parts replacement 24mon warranty is out. Taking it into the dealer tomorrow for them to take a look, but intermittent abs/traction control light and code C0020 general electrical failure. If that's the recommended solution I'll absolutely be filing a claim with ram. Anybody had 2 failures?

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 Ram 2500 power wagon with 26k. Same issue, same code. I have an appointment schedule with my local Ram dealership. I’m expecting the worst hoping for the best. Not looking forward to dropping a 1k to fix it!
Im happy to report that I was in contact with Teena from Ram Care FCA about my service ABS issue. She told me to make an appointment with my local Ram dealer and provide them with my appointment information. I did what she requested with little hope of them helping. I took my truck in the day of my appointment. Although they had my truck for three days I received a phone call from Teena who informed me that I would only have to pay $50 for the repair and FCA would pay the rest to have the ABS unit replaced. To say I was happy was an understatement, I figured I’d have to pay for it out of pocket. I suggest to anyone with this issue reach out to Ram Care first and make a claim.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im happy to report that I was in contact with Teena from Ram Care FCA about my service ABS issue. She told me to make an appointment with my local Ram dealer and provide them with my appointment information. I did what she requested with little hope of them helping. I took my truck in the day of my appointment. Although they had my truck for three days I received a phone call from Teena who informed me that I would only have to pay $50 for the repair and FCA would pay the rest to have the ABS unit replaced. To say I was happy was an understatement, I figured I’d have to pay for it out of pocket. I suggest to anyone with this issue reach out to Ram Care first and make a claim.
They did something similar for me, but instead offered to cover 80% as a "goodwill" repair. I don't think this is the last time this will come up, but fingers crossed I can get the truck back the first of next week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
UGH.... I have this error as well - for the 2nd time - 2018 ram 4wd diesel - first happened while still under warranty (about 20K miles) now its back - 42K miles! Service Electronic Braking System... Service Electronic Braking System... Ding, Ding, Ding. First time they had the truck they kept it for a week and replaced everything in the braking system (so they said). This is driving me crazy. Weird thing is that it seems to happen when you hit a bump like its a bad electrical connection. Was just about to buy a second truck for my business but now thinking maybe Ford... How did you get in touch with Ram Care? Do you have a number you can share?

·
Registered
1 Posts
UGH.... I have this error as well - for the 2nd time - 2018 ram 4wd diesel - first happened while still under warranty (about 20K miles) now its back - 42K miles! Service Electronic Braking System... Service Electronic Braking System... Ding, Ding, Ding. First time they had the truck they kept it for a week and replaced everything in the braking system (so they said). This is driving me crazy. Weird thing is that it seems to happen when you hit a bump like its a bad electrical connection. Was just about to buy a second truck for my business but now thinking maybe Ford... How did you get in touch with Ram Care? Do you have a number you can share?
Same thing with my 2016- 1500 @ 43K miles. On and off for a week now four lights lit on the dash ABS/Stability/Brake and Service Engine. I am installing an ABS Module tomorrow to see if that does anything. They wont cover the service since it is not power train related and I refuse to overpay for a dealer to repair or diagnostic. Oh, the safety feature (ABS) also disengages the 4 wheel drive making it very handy with the snow we have gotten recently ( thanks Chrysler )! It been absolutely freezing for me to work on it and tomorrow it warms up and I am going to add the new module and if that doesn't do anything It will be warm enough for me to test each wheel sensor and go from there. Yes, I should do that first but I only have this truck to drive and no garage to work in. Lets see how it goes tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The dealership gave me 18884267076. If you look a couple posts above I had the same problem (2 failures). One at 8k and the other at 19.5k miles. I told them what was going on and they assigned a case manager who worked with the dealership.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The dealership gave me 18884267076. If you look a couple posts above I had the same problem (2 failures). One at 8k and the other at 19.5k miles. I told them what was going on and they assigned a case manager who worked with the dealership.
Thanks - I will give them a call. From all the people that I am reading that have this issue, this should be a recall!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Hello everyone, We can definitely understand how this would be concerning! We apologize for our delayed response, however we are more than willing to assist in addressing this further for you alongside a dealer service. Please follow up with us via PM with your VIN should you require additional support throughout that process. Thank you!

Rob
Ram Cares

I'm having the same problem have to take my truck in next week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Add us to the list. It happened a few days ago. We are RV inspectors, fulltime RV living, and tow our 5th wheel with our ‘15 3500 and our work trailer with our ‘18 2500. Of course our 2500 just rolled 37,8xx miles when it pops the C0020 code. I messaged ramcares earlier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Add us to the list. It happened a few days ago. We are RV inspectors, fulltime RV living, and tow our 5th wheel with our ‘15 3500 and our work trailer with our ‘18 2500. Of course our 2500 just rolled 37,8xx miles when it pops the C0020 code. I messaged ramcares earlier.
Update: dealer pulled the codes and quoted me just over $2000 including overnighting the parts. 🤬
On the up side, the chat function for Ram Cares was great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
$2000? That's insane if it's only pump motor control and abs module. I was quoted $600 (on my second failure) before ram customer service got involved.

·
Registered
45 Posts
After reading this I worry that I will be up against this soon. :cry: I dread having to go to the dealership due to my past experiences. Ram should really try holding their dealerships accountable or change their business model altogether. Then they could take the best selling truck in America title. It sounds like Ram Cares is nice but it should be automatic not a special loophole you need to find out about on a forum otherwise likely you will end up with incompetent service and/or dishonest dealerships.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2017 Ram 2500 had ABS light, Service Brake system light and messages as well as annoying audible alarm. Could happen anytime but seemed more active when I hit a bump. ABS module replaced under warranty at 23K miles, just replaced again at my expense for $900 at 40K miles at a trusted shop (not dealer). When alarm occurs cruise control stops working. Problem cleared after repairs but I am wondering if it was the module replacement or the process of replacement or relearning that cleared the issue. It is hard for me to believe that 2 modules have only lasted 20K miles each. Maybe it is being misdiagnosed or there really is a defect. Would love for a class action suit to resolve it, I don't have time for trial and error experiments. So far Customer Service has not done anything significant.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On my way to work I had the same warning. I have a 2018 Ram 2500. Is it ok to operate the vehicle for a few days until I can get it serviced or do I need to park it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
On my way to work I had the same warning. I have a 2018 Ram 2500. Is it ok to operate the vehicle for a few days until I can get it serviced or do I need to park it?
In my experience, the truck has still been drivable with this problem. I would have it addressed as soon as possible though since shorts, ground faults, etc. aren't desirable for any electrical system. I haven't had the opportunity to open up one of the units because they've all been covered under warranty or ram customer service/ram dealer. So until somebody can open it up and do a failure analysis (saying one can be performed i.e. if it's not potted) I'd keep reaching out to customer service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I drove mine until I got it fixed. Meanwhile I am getting nowhere with FCA customer service as far as accountability for these problems that occur after warranty. Maybe I am talking to the wrong people.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have the same issue 2017 2500 have an extended warranty and dealer claims it is not covered. How a control module inside a automatic breaking system is a wearable part is beyond my understanding. Unfortunately, the cruise and 4x4 do not function with this issue so I am stuck having to pay to get this fixed.

81 - 100 of 140 Posts