DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, bought a 2016 dodge ram dually last year with 13k miles from maher chevy last year. i was told it was still under the factory warranty. i called jerry ulm dodge today to bring it in for a code p2609 and a ticking sound after it warms up under warranty. they checked the vin and said it it has no warranty and is restricted. told me to call ram. they looked it up and said the emissions/engine was tampered with. they couldn't tell me any more.only thing i see is a K&N air filter on it. the cats look to be intact. i have a call in to mahers salesman. the car fax was clean and noted that the warranty was still active with 19 months full coverage at the time. it was actually sold to auction by Philips dodge in 2017 with 13k to auction and bought 2 months later by Jerry ulm who sold it to auction 4 months later that maher Chevy bought . (should have been a red flag.) any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
well i would contact a lawyer to go againts chevy

chevy told you it was covered by the original warranty

if chevy would of told you it was not warranty you would probably not had buy it?

so with a lawyer get chevy to buy back and give you a equivalent warranty

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Do you have anything in your purchase paperwork stating in writing that there was still factory warranty left? If there is call chevy, explain the situation, if they bawk, time for a lawyer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i believe it said the remainder of the factory warranty on my sales sheet,need to check when i get home. i am waiting to hear back from maker. i called philips dodge (the original seller from day 1) and they didn't have anything other then the usual maint and a few warranty repairs listed before sending to auction. he said nothing stood out. i did ask him why he didn't sell it on his lot and he said he didn't know. if it is compromised emission wise , is it not illegal to sell it?

·
Registered
156 Posts
What was the original warranty on it? If it was a 3 year warranty and being a 2016, it could have been purchased in 2015, so the warranty period would be over. I know some warranties only apply to original owner also.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Maybe the original owner did an EGR delete on the truck. Being that the truck wasn't that old, I would guess maybe a repo? If the EGR was deleted, that may explain the auction sales rather than being sold on the lot as EGR is mandated by the feds although I would think something else had to be happening too.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Since the fault is the "intake air heater", I would have to say it is entirely possible the K&N voided the warranty for that particular part.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
However, depending on your state, it may be illegal for a dealer to sell a vehicle with tampered emissions - usually they or the person trading it in has to restore the vehicle.

But then the question becomes, is the k&n tampering or allowed? CARB number ?

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
...or since he's in Florida did someone remove the grid heater? Maybe it's an easy fix and just a solenoid issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
ok , found out more info. the original owner had a leak on the def tank , instead of bringing it in for warranty he tried to fix it himself . apparently he used yellow RTV sealant. either he had it repoed or traded it in . went to auction i believe Mayer Chevy eventually bought it and had the water pump recall performed at sun coast Chrysler dodge where they discovered the different colored rtv sealant that ram doesn't use, resealed it and put a restriction on it. total chicken s**t! now i am screwed. it had a 5year /100k i stll had until November of 2019 for the 3 year bumper to bumper . i called ram hq again and said the only way to have it reversed was to have the area service manager request it. i called the reg service manager and he said it would have to be made whole again. he wouldn't give me the area managers #. when i asked what that meant he said new o2 sensors what ever may have been affected. (nothing was affected) again total bull. the cats and everything is in place. when asked about a aftermarket service plan he thought i might run in to trouble if they go back to ram for coverage. when i talked to the salesman who sold it to me he said he didn't know about it and i need to talk to his sales manager, which i plan on today. this thing is like brand frigging new. all this because of a different sealant color.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
If the GM dealer sold it to you and was advertised as having the factory warranty in effect yet, to me this means they are responsible to "make it whole again".

They should contact the Ram dealer and take care of whatever is needed - really shouldn't be that hard to do.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Magnussen Moss Act

ok , found out more info. the original owner had a leak on the def tank , instead of bringing it in for warranty he tried to fix it himself . apparently he used yellow RTV sealant. either he had it repoed or traded it in . went to auction i believe Mayer Chevy eventually bought it and had the water pump recall performed at sun coast Chrysler dodge where they discovered the different colored rtv sealant that ram doesn't use, resealed it and put a restriction on it. total chicken s**t! now i am screwed. it had a 5year /100k i stll had until November of 2019 for the 3 year bumper to bumper . i called ram hq again and said the only way to have it reversed was to have the area service manager request it. i called the reg service manager and he said it would have to be made whole again. he wouldn't give me the area managers #. when i asked what that meant he said new o2 sensors what ever may have been affected. (nothing was affected) again total bull. the cats and everything is in place. when asked about a aftermarket service plan he thought i might run in to trouble if they go back to ram for coverage. when i talked to the salesman who sold it to me he said he didn't know about it and i need to talk to his sales manager, which i plan on today. this thing is like brand frigging new. all this because of a different sealant color.
While I don't like citing Wikipedia the following should give you the info you need, here is just the first excerpt of the Federal Law but in a nutshell the act basically says that the dealer has to prove that the "sealant" used actually caused a failure. It also describes what constitutes a warranty which I think the dealer violated.

Any warrantor warranting a consumer product to a consumer by means of a written warranty must disclose, fully and conspicuously, in simple and readily understood language, the terms and conditions of the warranty to the extent required by rules of the Federal Trade Commission. The FTC has enacted regulations governing the disclosure of written consumer product warranty terms and conditions on consumer products actually costing the consumer more than $5. The Rules can be found at 16 C.F.R. Part 700.
Under the terms of the Act, ambiguous statements in a warranty are construed against the drafter of the warranty.
Likewise, service contracts must fully, clearly, and conspicuously disclose their terms and conditions in simple and readily understood language.
Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.[7] This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions[8] and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

1 - 12 of 12 Posts