DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Ram 1500 Hemi which has been having issues with the 4WD the last couple of winters. I rarely drive the truck, just when the Ohio winters are bad, and to pull our boat in the summer. The past two winters whenever I take it out of 4WD, it won't come out for anywhere between a half mile and two miles. When it does come out, it feels as though I hit a large pothole or ran over a dog.

Ran it out to my local Dodge dealership to have it taken care of before the 7/70 drivetrain warranty runs out. In addition to the 4WD problem, the 4WD indicator light has stopped working and there is a slight leak in the rear pumpkin seal. Not sure if those would be covered under that same warranty.

Just got a call from the dealership, who feels the 4WD is shifting in and out perfectly. Told me I just need to drive a little slower for it to come out, or just pop it in reverse, then it will come out. Wanted $160 to replace the 4WD sensor, but that did include the diagnostics for all of the other issues they found, which add up to over $2,000.

Is everyone getting the runaround on warranty work? I told them to go drive it again and tell me there is no issue. Still awaiting a call.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Do you think that they seem to be putting off really checking it out or working on it until the warranty expires?

·
Registered
754 Posts
No way.. tell them your calling your regional office and geeting them involved..while it is true your light is not covered.. the other stuff should be

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This current owner of this dealership bought out the previous Dodge dealership a few years back. Many of the same employees are still there. We attempted to have some warranty work done there about ten years ago, and they told us to take it to the Dodge dealership where we bought it.

I know they don't have to perform warranty work on vehicles bought at a different dealership, but most do as a courtesy. What do you do if you move a considerable distance from where you bought it?

·
Registered
754 Posts
That is not true.. every Dodge dealership has to work on your truck no matter what.. The DEALERSHIP I take both my car and my truck to for service is not the dealership where I bought eather one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After insisting they check out the 4WD again, I received a call at the end of the day. It is indeed sticking in 4WD and will not come out. Quite different then when they called at noon to say it was working perfectly.

The guy I talked to said if it was up to him, they would just replace the transfer case, but he would have to talk to the "big boss" to see how they want to handle it. How about just "fix it".

He is going to get back with me...

·
Registered
21 Posts
As somebody who has worked in dealership service departments, it's true that any authorized dealer MUST honor the manufacturers warranty.

The only exception to this rule is for aftermarket products. For example, if you have an aftermarket remote starter (which let's say comes only with a 1 year warranty) installed as part of your new vehicle purchase, the selling dealer may offer to warranty that product as part of your 3 year general warranty coverage. In that particular case, no other manufacturer has a legal obligation to warranty that product and you'd have to bring it back to the original selling dealer. Otherwise, you are free to bring your vehicle to any dealer of your choice for warranty issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really starting to get dicked around on this one...

I called last Friday to see how they were coming on the repair, they said they had the transfer case torn apart and submitted photos to Chrysler.

Their story is that this type of warranty work had to be submitted for approval, just so Chrysler can determine the best course of action. Whatever, just fix it. Told me he would know by Monday.

Called again today, no word from Chrysler yet. I told him I don't understand, I told them it's broke, they agreed it's broke, just get the thing fixed. No estimate on time of repair.

I have not yet mentioned the dealership, but believe I will if things don't improve from here on out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update (not good)

They replaced the entire transfer case under warranty. Picked it up and put it in 4WD right away, and took it out after about 50', no problem (and they fixed the indicator light too).

Put it back in 4WD, took it out, and although the indicator light goes out, it doesn't physically come out of 4WD. Drove over 3 miles at various speeds, including stops and putting it in reverse, will not come out of 4WD.

The only way I can get it to come out is to actually stop and turn the truck off. When I restart, it is back in 2WD again. It also pulls hard to the right when in 4WD.

Dropped it off at the dealership last night. Checked it out one more time on the way there. Same thing, the first time it will shift in and out OK, but the second time it will not come out. I drove six miles without it coming out of 4WD. Had to pull over and turn the truck off to get it to come out.

Just got a call from the dealership who claims "It's working flawlessly". I have to go to the dealership now and ride with a tech to show him the problem. I don't know how you could miss it or the issue with it pulling to the right. If you don't hang on to the wheel it will take you right into the ditch. What could be up?

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Sounds like Dodge OKed the repair

Sometimes a ride with a Tech is the best way to go, he can see how you drive it, when the problem happens, just what happens just before & after.
Then he can drive it & see & feel for themselves.

--------------------------------------------------------
just a note:
I still highly recommend that anyone that has not yet reached the 3 year/ 36000 mile base warranty, should purchase a lifetime warranty, preferably the MAX CARE
It may hurt the wallet a bit, but they allow you to make payments.

I have passed 3 years now, as well as the 36,000 miles. I bought my Lifetime warranty at 34,000 miles, i think it ended up costing $1,100, after the old 7/70,000 warranty was pro rated & applied to the new warranty

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have a 2005 Ram 1500 Hemi which has been having issues with the 4WD the last couple of winters. I rarely drive the truck, just when the Ohio winters are bad, and to pull our boat in the summer. The past two winters whenever I take it out of 4WD, it won't come out for anywhere between a half mile and two miles. When it does come out, it feels as though I hit a large pothole or ran over a dog.

Ran it out to my local Dodge dealership to have it taken care of before the 7/70 drivetrain warranty runs out. In addition to the 4WD problem, the 4WD indicator light has stopped working and there is a slight leak in the rear pumpkin seal. Not sure if those would be covered under that same warranty.

Just got a call from the dealership, who feels the 4WD is shifting in and out perfectly. Told me I just need to drive a little slower for it to come out, or just pop it in reverse, then it will come out. Wanted $160 to replace the 4WD sensor, but that did include the diagnostics for all of the other issues they found, which add up to over $2,000.

Is everyone getting the runaround on warranty work? I told them to go drive it again and tell me there is no issue. Still awaiting a call.
Had this exact problem in my 2003 Durango.

Dealer at the time insisted the front gear lube just needed changed.

Oddly enough, they did that and lo and behold, the issue magically went away.

Not sure why......the lube wasnt that old or worn out.

Not sure if it was just coincidence or what......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had a chance to stop at the dealership today and take a ride with the tech. As usual, put it in 4WD the first time, and it came right back out when shifted out. Also as typical, put it back in 4WD again, took it out and it would not come out.

Most of what the tech was telling me sounded like B.S. Told me to get on the gas up to about 40 MPH and let off and it would come out. It did not. Drove about a mile and finally pulled over, put it in reverse for about 10 feet and it finally came out.

Put it back in 4WD again and it would not come back out until we stopped at a stop sign a couple miles later. Tech said he has no idea why it's doing it, but believes it just needs to be "worn in".

I also asked him why it pulls so hard to the right when in 4WD. He stated the because the front axle is not positraction, the right front wheel is the drive wheel, thus pulling that way. Something smells funny.

Never had these issues prior to now. He also told me that the transfer case has a 12 year warranty on it. Is this correct?

He says there is nothing electrical that could be causing this. Also stated that it was no sweat off of him to put another new transfer case in since Dodge was paying the bill. Well, the first new transfer case didn't solve the problem why would a second new one? I would take it to another dealer but I'm sure I would end up paying another $100 warranty deductable. How do I contact my regional rep, do I have to go through the dealer?

Suggestions / comments ? Thanks guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts