DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 truck with 16k miles on it. I have a slight vibration whenever I brake going at around 50mph. Am pretty sure its rotors starting to wrap, took it in for inspection under warranty. Well dealer wanted 55/= to replace brakes and rotors! Dealer said my brakes are worn, this is even before getting my keys! Dealer said brakes do wear out not covered by warranty, but rotors do so i have to pay for the brakes. Glad am leasing, will not pay a penny more for a brand new truck I bought last year in March. Do brakes need replacement every year? Buyers remorse here...

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Depends on how hard you are on the brakes.
Of course everyone always says they are not hard on the brakes :)

Brakes are usually 12,000/12 months.

I have a 2016 with 20k miles on it and my brakes are perfect yet, and out of that 20kmiles about 19k are towing and/or fully loaded bed and cab.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I suppose it's possible for the rotors to warp if you go through a long downgrade and heat the rotors up then hit a puddle and rapidly cool part of them. I have 47,500 miles on my original brake setup, but, about 6,000 miles of that was towing cross-country, so not a lot of braking. I also don't have a lot of city driving to wear them down.

You can try a different dealer and see if they feel the same as the first.

If the pads have worn due to a defective rotor they should be covered IMO, but brakes and rotors are considered wear items IIRC. Perhaps reaching out to FCA and asking the question would help.

I had a rear wiper motor replaced under warranty on my wife's 13 Grand Cherokee a few months ago. The dealer said that they may break the rear glass separating the motor from the glass, and if they did, the glass wouldn't be covered under warranty. I called FCA and explained that if they cannot remove a part covered under warranty without breaking another part, that's not something I should be held responsible for. They agreed and authorized the replacement of the glass IF it broke during removal of the old motor. the point is, it doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The warranty states that brakes would be covered for 1 year or 12k miles, which you are unfortunately over. After that it seems that any rotors or pads are not covered (even if the calipers froze from how I read it). However, if it was a froze caliper (one side lots worse than the other) you could at least have some leverage to get them to do it all under warranty. However if all pads are worn equally you may be out of luck.
A wearout at 16k miles seems too soon, but it all depends on driving habits and loads carried/towed. I was gentle enough to have gotten 105k out of brakes on my 97 Seville, so I at least expect 50k on my big heavy truck.

·
Premium Member
32,785 Posts
I changed my 2009 Dodge Rams brake pads at 100,000 miles
I had the rotors turned at the same time
While they were doing the brakes, i had them install new Shocks

I just regret going with CENTRIC brake pads
If i were doing it today, i would go with Power Stop hardware

1 - 5 of 5 Posts