DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
newby here., old 2004 RAM 2500 Cummins 4x4 owner. awesome truck. I find myself paying 2100$ for a differential rebuild a second time within warranty time frame. Chrysler says different component failed; bearings vs bold holding axle clip fell out shredding abs ring filling case full of metal shards, requirement re-replacement of bearings, seals and everything other than axles, gears. after 2 stages of filing, and same story, where do i go from here? original service manager says chrysler should cover it, they disagree. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2004. The local dealer rebuilt the differential last year giving me 2 years warranty on their work. Then the differential crapped out this August on Rv trip. Rebuilt again by different dodge dealer.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Was the warranty from the dealer or Chrysler?

I was under the impression Mopar parts installed by a dealer have a 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty, not 2 years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And both dealers told me there is no dealer warranty, just Chrysler warranty.,

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I believe you, but it will most likely come down to proving what was told to you, which means having paperwork that backs up what the dealers told you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Always get everything on paper or it means nothing what they told you. Dealers lie to our faces all the time

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you have it in writing then I would say seek an attorney. If not then just move on and chalk it up to another lesson learned. Lip service is worthless

·
Registered
44 Posts
Was the warranty from the dealer or Chrysler?

I was under the impression Mopar parts installed by a dealer have a 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty, not 2 years.
According to the Chrysler Customer Service Rep earlier this year with a problem with the 2014 3000 we had at the time, Chrysler parts are covered by a 2 year parts warranty. So if as the rep says and the parts were from Mopar Parts and not an aftermarket supplier, NAPA, Autozone, or what ever, they you should be covered. But lots of dealers will buy from the local parts houses if they cannot get the Mopar parts in a timely manner.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
According to the Chrysler Customer Service Rep earlier this year with a problem with the 2014 3000 we had at the time, Chrysler parts are covered by a 2 year parts warranty. So if as the rep says and the parts were from Mopar Parts and not an aftermarket supplier, NAPA, Autozone, or what ever, they you should be covered. But lots of dealers will buy from the local parts houses if they cannot get the Mopar parts in a timely manner.
But that should not preclude the customer's warranty. Its not like the customer forced them to buy non-Mopar parts.

·
Registered
105 Posts
newby here., old 2004 RAM 2500 Cummins 4x4 owner. awesome truck. I find myself paying 2100$ for a differential rebuild a second time within warranty time frame. Chrysler says different component failed; bearings vs bold holding axle clip fell out shredding abs ring filling case full of metal shards, requirement re-replacement of bearings, seals and everything other than axles, gears. after 2 stages of filing, and same story, where do i go from here? original service manager says chrysler should cover it, they disagree. thanks in advance.
If the Diff was rebuilt due to bolt failure the 1st time, and then a bearing the 2nd time. Was it a bearing that was part of the 1st repair, i.e. replaced during 1st repair? If yes, then they have no leg to stand on and you need to force the issue. If it was a bearing not touch during the 1st repair then they are correct, different part / problem. If it was a bearing that was disturbed during 1st repair, i.e. parts that ride on it removed but still original bearing and NOT REMOVED during repair, it gets a little sticky as now you have to understand what impact the repairs may have had.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Factor recommended lube installed by dealer at first rebuild. Bearing failure first time, bolt failure 2nd time, filling case with metal shards requiring new bearings again. I think I lost this one.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Factor recommended lube installed by dealer at first rebuild. Bearing failure first time, bolt failure 2nd time, filling case with metal shards requiring new bearings again. I think I lost this one.
If the bolt was part of any replacement part, then they own it. If it was not then you need to determine, was the bolt seared off or did it rattle loose? Should the bolt have had lock-tite? If the bolt feel out or rattled loose and the threads in which it was screwed in to are in tack, and they would have had to remove during 1st service then then they may own it? If it should have had lock-tite and does not, they own it.
In any case sorry to hear that they are not willing to work with you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts