DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys do to wash your black trucks? it seems like black shows ever mark and when wiping it with a rag or shammy would be leaving scratches i notice these in a certain light, so anything you rub on a vehicle causes some amount of sratches so what are fellow back truck owners doing?
black vehicles hard to keep clean but damn do they look sharp when all shined up

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't own a black truck but I have a black Harley Davidson and I've never had anything that's so sensitive to scratches. I have a detail guy that takes care of me (hmmm, my mistakes) and he says the key is keeping any and all dirt out of your cleaing rags. This isn't so hard when waxing or polishing but when your washing your truck it's impossible not to get dirt and grit in the washing mit or rag because the bucket you use for soap and water is going to get dirt and grit in it as you rince your washing mit or rag. If someone can figure this out they may make a lot of money lol.

Another trick he stated was to not use just any wax or polish as they have abraisives in them which causes swirl marks. He stated Zymol is the best store bought product for non abraisives. I personally have him special order me this stuff you can't get in the stores that has NO abraisives or very, very little. 3M is also a great product but can get expensive for the good stuff. You just have to make sure that you keep your finishing rag free of any dirt, I always snap it every so often to get any grit out of there but always end up with a small scratch.

Yea, I'm anal about my Harley but then again I have over $35000.00 sunk into that bike LOL.

·
Addicted to the Z
15,437 Posts
It's hard to keep clean but you can't beat the way it looks when it's all shined up. My process seems to work. I always wet it down first and use simonize car wash and a clean micro fiber wash mit. I try and get as much off the truck with the hose first. I then rinse it off and use a shami to dry it off completely. I use Turtle wax maximum ice quick detailer on a regular basis. Twice a year I do the whole truck with a porter cable polisher and this product -> http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=90954. The shine on my RAM is still like showroom condition.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Another trick he stated was to not use just any wax or polish as they have abraisives in them which causes swirl marks. He stated Zymol is the best store bought product for non abraisives. I personally have him special order me this stuff you can't get in the stores that has NO abraisives or very, very little. 3M is also a great product but can get expensive for the good stuff. You just have to make sure that you keep your finishing rag free of any dirt, I always snap it every so often to get any grit out of there but always end up with a small scratch.

Yea, I'm anal about my Harley but then again I have over $35000.00 sunk into that bike LOL.
For what it's worth, you can't get Zymol in stores. [the Zymol that is offered in stores is made by Turtle wax, so instead of the real Zymol, that is actually some of the cheapest stuff available].

And there are hundreds of polishes online that would work just fine. Many use Meguiars #7, which is a pure polish [no abrasives].

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't have a black truck, but I use my leaf blower to dry my truck. This helps with the water that leaks out of crack when you move the truck and the water that's left in mirrors, etc. After I blow dry it, I usually wipe it down with a clean rag and detail spray from Meguiars.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I have a black truck trick is to use a 2 bucket system and when your done washing it always use a micro fiber wash towel then remove your spray nozzle and stream water over it. But to be honest go to adams website (its polish company) and watch there vids i was like thats alot of work but when you try it youll be like HOLY SHIT THAT WORKS

http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-Detailing_Video_Vol_7_Chapter_06_Car_Washing.aspx

this is what i wash mine with
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-397-adams-jumbo-professional-car-wash-pad.aspx

Ive used adams products for years ive used almost everyone out there and must say as far as shine protection and looks these products cant be beat.

See how it shines no swirls scratches and the flakes jump right out

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I use a touch less wash and then go home and use a quick wax and a quick detailer both spray types. I do this about 2times a week. The water just runs off most of the time. I would say to get a black truck that is easy to maintain is to get a really good wax layer and keep it up. That way dirt and grime washes off without a lot of pressure. My truck always looks wet the way I do it. So for now I'm going to continue that. I need to get some higher quality cleaning and polishing materials.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
you could also try using a good high quality polymer paint sealant and topping it with a couple coats of wax, instead of just was alone. no offence to the guys who have great success with turtle was products, but i wouldn'tt use them. You can buy high quality detailing products for about the same price as the turtle waxes and other OTC brands carried by your local automotive retailer.

i've recently switched from Meguiars to Wolfgang products (one of many premium brands of polishes/waxes etc) and have found that most of the dirt on my black truck just rinses away without much need for a good wash, especially in the winter. While there is really nothing wrong with the Meguiars line of products in my opinion, i find alot of them are silicone based, and the wolfgang line is not, and wolfgang was alot easier to work with.

i know it is hard, but absolutely try to stay away from automatic car washes (even the touchless ones) as the cleaning chemicals are very harsh on your paint and finish.

When i do a hand wash, ive been using a lake country foam washing sponge and poorboys superslick and suds soap. works pretty good. also the leaf blower and two bucket system is a great tip.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I bought my blk truck new.. it has the metallic flake paint. Since day one I have used a garden hose (never a power washer) and a soft washing sponge, the type you can stick your hand in and use as a glove. For drying, I use microfiber towels. One or two to dry the truck initially and then I got back over the entire truck with a completely dry micro fiber to rid the truck of any water spots and streaks. I have zero swirls in the paint. Looks just like it did the day I bought it, a year and a half later.

·
Registered
87 Posts
When you travel anywhere after washing your truck and THEN try to chamois or towel it you run the risk of dragging dirt from the drive around on your paint. Also, wash mitts, sponges, rags etc all have pores and nooks and crannies for dirt to settle, all it take is a few good pieces of sand or gravel and your sponge is a piece of sandpaper. light scratches are inevitable if you intend to keep the truck clean. Just plan on a good buff/wax once or twice a year. I use a brush believe it or not....i used to work in a truck wash, thats all we used, when i opened up my detail shop i bought myself some nice soft wash brushes and some grit gaurds for my buckets that allow all of the dirt to fall below where the brush sits. I also keep the brush in water at all times so the dirt always has a chance to run off in between washes and the bristles (more like hairs theyre so fine and soft) never harden up.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I do all of the washing in the shade. Wash with mothers car wash soap and a microfiber mitt. Dry with an electric leaf blower followed by a chamois. Detail with Lucas slick mist, wax with mothers gold.

My neighbors look at me funny when I use the leaf blower. :)

S

·
0 Posts
I did a quick wash (no wax) through the local car wash then hit her with an application of Fukken Wax. Simple, effective, and she looks wet!

·
Registered
88 Posts
While I haven't washed (or seen in person) my black 2012, my previous vehicle was a black 2006 Audi A4... One of the biggest tricks is to use 2 buckets (one to rinse your microfiber mitt or sponge off and one with the actual soap in it) with your second bucket having a grate in the bottom that keeps your sponge a couple inches off the bottom of the bucket where whatever little bit of dirt/grit will settle... I also always used Meguiars soap... I think the gold class stuff? Can't remember off the top of my head and am about 8000 miles from my garage to check, lol... Then, after washing, I used microfiber towels and you don't wipe it dry but set the towel on the car and just drag it across... you'll likely need a few towels to thoroughly dry trucks of our size, but I needed usually about 3 of them for my Audi. I talked to a few people that swore by chamois, but the microfiber felt softer to me so I always felt safer using it... Afterward I always took the time to put a layer of wax that's high in Carnauba with no abrasives. I can't remember the name of the wax, but it was a larger tin that I got for like $50 or something and was what the detailing guys all recommended on the Audi forums similar to this one. A lot of people use way too much wax, and in this case a little goes a LONG way, and I used a microfiber wax applicator... well... I actually used 4 or 5 of them at least when I was taking the wax off... But with this method I was not only able to turn my Audi into a black mirror, but it also took care of nearly all of the scratches from the previous owners sub-par cleaning methods after a few washes and wax applications. I also had a few friends that would use the Quik Detailer stuff on their cars to keep them looking clean... I never really trusted it though, and once you get a good thick layer of wax going you don't need to wax your truck every time you wash it, but you have to build it up first. Oh, and don't wash/wax in direct sunlight if you can at all avoid it!

Black vehicles can be a pain to keep their paint looking perfect, but damn it if a wet-looking black vehicle just doesn't turn heads and give you a hardon, if you'll excuse the expression, lol

·
Registered
754 Posts
DODGERT is correct you need to use the two bucket method. Plus you must clay bar you truck prior to putting any good wax on. talking wax is like talking oil everybody has their own opinion. Turtle wax has a wax just for black paint. it inculdes a three step system. check it out

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I did a quick wash (no wax) through the local car wash then hit her with an application of Fukken Wax. Simple, effective, and she looks wet!

nice display piece for the fukken wax...great detail job from this distance!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
They make a Grit guard that fits in the bottom of a bucket that keeps the grit away from your microfiber sponge or whatever you use to wash with. Also a clay bar and detailing spray before waxing helps tremendously.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
My neighbors look at me funny when I use the leaf blower. :)
Mine do too! It sure helps with the drips from places like door handles, mirrors and the grille though!:smileup:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
27 Participants
Neurobit
DODGE RAM FORUM
We’re the ultimate Dodge RAM forum to talk about the RAM 1500, 2500 and 3500 including the Cummins powered models.
Full Forum Listing