DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last time I washed my truck I noticed condensation/water spots on the inside of my driver's side window. I thought "maybe" my window wasn't up 100% and somehow some water got inside, but when I washed my truck recently, I made sure the windows were all the way up and the water/condensation is still in several places. I just took my truck back to the dealer a few weeks ago for the same exact condensation issue on my driver's side puddle light in which there is a known seal issue (and many others here) which got replaced.

I've washed my truck countless times since i've had it and this condensation issue in the corners of the inside of the window is new. Now a buddy of mine who does car installations for a living recently replaced my front door speakers and removed both door panels and seals, but from what I can see, both seals are on perfectly fine around the doors and only the driver's side window has this issue. Just like only my driver's side puddle lamp had the same issue.

I've uploaded a picture of the condensation. Again, this is in several corners of the inside of my driver's side window. This picture just shows "one" of the several areas. Anyone else experience this? And if so, was it a specific seal or something else?

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
I get that in the lower front corner of the passenger window - have not bothered to chase it down yet. I am curious however. My theory was maybe from the front mirror, but from your pic, I guess that is not the case.

·
Registered
471 Posts
ive had a window fog before when washing it because the window was warm and the water from hose was ice cold. any chance the window is warm adn maybe that is what is causing it? other than that the only thing else i can think of would be maybe the window isnt sealing itself right against the weather stripping in that corner and its making that happen. good luck to you

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ Daggertats,

that was the first thing I thought of when it happened initially as it's getting colder here now so I figured that may be the case. However, as I mentioned this only happens on the driver's side, not the passenger so I dismissed that thought when I went over to the passenger side and saw that window was perfectly fine.

The issue just isn't in that corner, it's also occurs in the opposite corner AND when I took a peak at the top section of the window I could see more of the same condensation. The good news is that not a single drop of water is getting inside my vehicle, at least not that I can tell, and i've looked thoroughly. Still, my concern is that this will get worse over time and that at some point water WILL get inside the window. I'm going to try and push the seal flush section by section and see if the next time I wash...if it makes any difference. If not, i'll be heading to the dealer for this too, just like the condensation inside the puddle light.

But out of curiosity, other then ramjam and myself...anyone else on here experience this issue?

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
No experience with automotive doing this but if it is getting colder on your area than I would think that something isnt sealing properly, especially if only 1 window is doing it, just like cheap and old windows in a house with cheap seals or old seals....

·
Registered
471 Posts
ok from what you just said about it being on top of the glass too as weird as this sounds id get a micrometer (sp) and check the thickness of the glass on the top edge. im wondering of maybe that piece of glass isnt defective and the thickness of it varies just enough to let air in. sounds odd but in the toyota forums when i had my tacoma someone worked producing windshields and he said youd be amazed at how many are defective.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@daggertats,

that's a good suggestion I wouldn't of thought of that but it definitely makes sense and i've heard weirder. The only thing is that I'm pretty sure the window thickness/size isn't an issue with my situation as I've had my truck close to 2 years and i've washed it many times (in warm and cold weather) over those 2 years. This issue is just now becoming present so I think as others have mentioned, it's something to do with the weather stripping. I went around and adjusted it by hand to make sure it was as tight and snug as it could be. When I wash my truck in the next week or so and if I see the same issue occur, I'll just take my truck into the dealer.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@ Daggertats,

I think you may of been right on with your initial post. I asked a buddy of mine who works on cars for a living what he thought about this and he said he's seen that before when a window is warm/hot and the water hitting it is cold. Basically, exactly what you said. So I thought about it for a second and realize that where I park outside, my driver's side is in direct sunlight while my passenger side is blocked by a fairly large tree I park next too.

The tree basically provides shade to the passenger side of my truck while the driver's side has no shade protection so the entire driver's side of my truck is naturally going to be warmer while the water coming from the hose (being winter time) is very cold. What I can do to test this is park my truck OPPOSITE to the tree a day prior to my next car wash and then see if it's the passenger side window that has this issue while the driver's side is fine. I'll report back when I do. Thanks for your response and helpful info. :smileup:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, now i'm convinced Daggertats and my buddy were spot on. I am home today and my truck was sitting since last night so I walked over to the passenger side and put my hand on the door and the window and let it sit there for 10 seconds....it was cool to the tough even though the sun is shining bright and it's at the peak of the UV right now.

I then went over to the driver's side (where this issue occurs) and put my hand on the window and it was warm whereas the passenger side was cool. I then put my hand on the door and after 5 seconds my hand was burning! So I looked at the sun and realized that the sun's direction directly beats down directly on the driver's side of my truck. Even though my passenger side is parked next to a tree and it gets some shade from that tree,..it wouldn't matter much as the Sun doesn't directly hit my passenger side anyway.

So my point is, I never paid attention to the sun's direction before and I can clearly see that it beats directly down on my driver's side which heats up my driver's side glass/medal as a result. When it starts to get warmer and not nearly as cold at night, the temperature differential won't be as significant which would explain why I never noticed this in other month's other then winter.

I did have my truck last winter, however, I was in a different city and had my truck parked in a car port where it never got direct sun. So when I washed my truck last year during winter, both panels were equally as cold/cool.

Anyway, RAMJAM, you may want to see how the sun beats down on your truck and see if your situation is the same as mine. But it's almost for certain the cause of issue for me is the much bigger temperature differential from the cold hose water on a scorching hot side of my truck vs. the cool side of my truck. Very, very interesting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.