DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today after washing my truck that on the driver side windshield post where the handhold is, a small amount of water was coming out of the top hole where the handle is bolted to the post. My 2005 Ram 1500 did the same thing and my Dad has a 2006 Ram 1500 Mega Cab and his has done it also. I can't figure out where the water is getting in from, must be a direct stream of water to a certain area...I don't know. Anyone else had this problem? It's not the end of the world but I wouldn't have thought a brand new truck would do it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
They had some issues a while ago with sunroof drains leaking and thats the area it would leak from. If you dont have a sunroof then it has to be something with the windshield, not normal by any means.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Check also your light outside at the rear of the cab the 3rd break light bed light unit, it might be loose and water might get in there and follow over the side of the cab. Just a thought..

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
3rd brake light leaks are very common. Sunroof leaks are also common. I did a write up on how to check and fix a 3rd brake light leak, just use the search and my name and search for "water leak" or "3rd brake" or something like that you should be able to find it.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
3rd brake light leaks are very common. Sunroof leaks are also common. I did a write up on how to check and fix a 3rd brake light leak, just use the search and my name and search for "water leak" or "3rd brake" or something like that you should be able to find it.
damn i wanted to say 3rd brake light...haha

snrusnak's post fixed a 2 plus year leak in my old ram...after my mechanic buddy told me there is no way the water on my passenger floor pan was from the 3rd brake light seal!! haha

snrusnak's the man with his seal job...

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Glad my write up is being put to good use :)

I don't think they fixed the leak, my friend's 2011 RT leaked. Mine's a 2010 and leaked.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Glad my write up is being put to good use :)

I don't think they fixed the leak, my friend's 2011 RT leaked. Mine's a 2010 and leaked.
My old 2010 leaked as well when it was new and the dealer fixed it, from what I read everything after a certain date in 2010 had a different lens and seal. This 2012 light is a little different, didnt take it apart to look at the seal, it doesnt leak though..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My truck does have a sunroof, I'll look into this 3rd brake light. Should I go ahead and let the dealer know, just for documentation?

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
^I would. But I would also do the fix my self if it is the 3rd brake light. It's quick and easy, and you will do a better job than the dealer.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
We usually always do a better job than the dealer, that's cause its not our job and we have a great forum with everything we need here and experienced members that allow us to do a better "Real World" job. :D

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
^that and the fact that for the 3rd brake light fix the dealer sub's it out to an outside company and they just caulk the light with clear silicone. I don't understand how all the people that have had that done on their trucks that I read about on here are ok with that, then bitch about things like "the left side of the truck is 1/8" lower than the right" lol.

·
Registered
168 Posts
^that and the fact that for the 3rd brake light fix the dealer sub's it out to an outside company and they just caulk the light with clear silicone. I don't understand how all the people that have had that done on their trucks that I read about on here are ok with that, then bitch about things like "the left side of the truck is 1/8" lower than the right" lol.
I think the right side of my truck is 1/8" lower than the left!!! :55:

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have no idea what the dealer did to fix mine, when I picked my 2010 up on a rainy day I noticed water on the inside of the back window. Whatever they did in a hour worked for 2.5 years, thats all that mattered to me ;)

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
^silicone caulking takes about 30 seconds to apply. The problem is that it looks terrible and in 5-10 years it'll peel/crack and leak again. Then you have to scrape it off the paint. Some may not care about these issues but I personally do. Also, if you need to change the bulb good luck lol.

·
Registered
563 Posts
^silicone caulking takes about 30 seconds to apply. The problem is that it looks terrible and in 5-10 years it'll peel/crack and leak again. Then you have to scrape it off the paint. Some may not care about these issues but I personally do. Also, if you need to change the bulb good luck lol.
I never keep a truck more than three years and the 2010 is long gone, but I have looked at it pretty close when I washed it and I didnt see any smeared on silicone. Its more than possible they glued the lens on with silicone and the lens will be a PITA to remove - but I'll never know :)

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Yeah and they may have come out with a new gasket by now but I know when I had the issue last year there was no new design.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yeah and they may have come out with a new gasket by now but I know when I had the issue last year there was no new design.
The lens on this 2012 is definitely different then the one on the '10, I'm sure they figured out a new gasket by now since it was a pretty common problem - but with Dodge you never know.

Believe me I would have rather fixed it myself, but picking a brand new truck in October of '09 and noticing water streaming down the inside of the back window in the pouring rain I was willing to let the dealer take a shot at fixing it :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts