DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv been batteling this for years over diffrent veh. Everytime I wash the veh I get heavy waterspots on the windows to the point it's leaving white spots. Iv changed soaps with no help do obviously their is lots of minerals in the water. If I go to the car wash it's fine.. what are u doing to stop and remove?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have the same issue with our water. I immediately dry our vehicles after washing which eliminates most if not all of the spots. Then glass cleaner for the windows if needed.

Years ago there was a product availabile that was a hose nozzle that accepted a filter cartridge. It was specifically marketed for rinsing vehicles without water spots. I had one and it work well as a final rinse. I don’t recall the brand name but haven’t seen it in the stores in years.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i may have to look for that... I dry off the windows but it really does not seem to help as then they just get a haze to them and window cleaner is not helping im assuming their is to much build up on the windows now.. I don't really bother dying the truck as the water just beads off with the ceramic coat. My truck is going to a detail shop here shortly thanks to someone at work decided they were going to spray paint things with the wind blowing right at my truck so now everything is covered in overspray.. So that will bring everything back to clean again.

Just quickly looked up the filter and its commonly use on RV's and campers available everywhere.. wont hurt to try

·
Super Moderator
1,437 Posts
May want to clean the outside of your windows with some 0000 steel wool, then widow cleaner and maybe apply Rain-X. May make removing the water spots a little more easy. I have hard water here & have the same problem. I usually keep the whole vehicle wet while washing so I can dry before it has a chance to spot bad (windows 1st).

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well 3 hours later and they are finally clean. Steel wool removed all the overspray and some of the water spots. Had to go get some chemical guys water spot remover to tackle the hard stuff. Definately one of those products you follow the directions and do not apply in direct sunlight was a real pia to get off... went back to their soap as well had way less spotting with their car wash

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
1,171 Posts
Well 3 hours later and they are finally clean. Steel wool removed all the overspray and some of the water spots. Had to go get some chemical guys water spot remover to tackle the hard stuff. Definately one of those products you follow the directions and do not apply in direct sunlight was a real pia to get off... went back to their soap as well had way less spotting with their car wash
Best way to prevent it from happening is doing a final quick rinse with distilled water. There was another guy on a different forum that said he used distilled vinegar...but I have reservations on that one lol.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That would get a little expensive going to the store and buying water.. i see the idea and it would work. Even yesterday after cleaning everything and drying the windows i still get water spots. Im going to get a filter that is used on campers and give that a try, have nothing to loose except $50 or i may try a house filter system since their is multiple cartages available.

One thing i find strange is the tonneau cover never gets water spots or the rest of the truck.. just the windows

·
Super Moderator
1,437 Posts
That would get a little expensive going to the store and buying water.. i see the idea and it would work. Even yesterday after cleaning everything and drying the windows i still get water spots. Im going to get a filter that is used on campers and give that a try, have nothing to loose except $50 or i may try a house filter system since their is multiple cartages available.

One thing i find strange is the tonneau cover never gets water spots or the rest of the truck.. just the windows
Save your money, I tried the camper filter and still got spots. With hard water the only way is to run it through a water softener system. I planned on adding a whole house system but you may be able to get a portable one a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Years ago, I was into the whole car show thing. Just local show and tell types. We always used a chamois to dry the cars after washing. If done right never a water spot, even on glass. Real chamois are a little pricey but the synthetic ones work well too and far cheaper.

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
1,171 Posts
Years ago, I was into the whole car show thing. Just local show and tell types. We always used a chamois to dry the cars after washing. If done right never a water spot, even on glass. Real chamois are a little pricey but the synthetic ones work well too and far cheaper.
I just bought one a few days ago lol. Will probably try it this weekend.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have used glass cleaner for smooth glass stovetops to remove some mineral spots.

Prevention? Maybe waxing the windows with vehicle wax might help a bit.
Been using it for years on my '09, I tried alll the "old ways" to get them off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Iv been batteling this for years over diffrent veh. Everytime I wash the veh I get heavy waterspots on the windows to the point it's leaving white spots. Iv changed soaps with no help do obviously their is lots of minerals in the water. If I go to the car wash it's fine.. what are u doing to stop and remove?
Simple, have your water analyzed. Probably need a water softener.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same issue with our water. I immediately dry our vehicles after washing which eliminates most if not all of the spots. Then glass cleaner for the windows if needed.

Years ago there was a product availabile that was a hose nozzle that accepted a filter cartridge. It was specifically marketed for rinsing vehicles without water spots. I had one and it work well as a final rinse. I don’t recall the brand name but haven’t seen it in the stores in years.
It was a product from mister clean...worked great.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a "So called" good synthetic one but it just is not cutting it. Think ill go back to a leather one they always worked great

·
Registered
87 Posts
Go to lowes hardware and purchase a box of borax. This softens the water. Just a little is needed. I use it in the laundry and dishwasher also. It compliments the detergent being used and cleans better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i may have to look for that... I dry off the windows but it really does not seem to help as then they just get a haze to them and window cleaner is not helping im assuming their is to much build up on the windows now.. I don't really bother dying the truck as the water just beads off with the ceramic coat. My truck is going to a detail shop here shortly thanks to someone at work decided they were going to spray paint things with the wind blowing right at my truck so now everything is covered in overspray.. So that will bring everything back to clean again.

Just quickly looked up the filter and its commonly use on RV's and campers available everywhere.. wont hurt to try
Amazon features the hose connected filters for hard water, a little pricey. Get your glass good and clean and apply a ceramic finish product (use it on your entire vehicle) or RainX. Makes keeping your glass clean easy. Bug goo comes off easier also.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts