DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1997 1500 5.2 it's been parked for a while and I replaced Plenum gasket last summer and entire dash so this week was first drive in a year or so, problem is it will not run at normal water temp, the water pump is barely 2 years old, I replaced thermostat last summer and once again this week along with the temp sensor. When I start it up it takes about 5 minutes and the temp hits exactly halfway between 200 and 260 and STAYS there doesn't move at all. I've tried burping the system, I know for a fact thermostat is good, sensor is brand new as of today. I do run heater on high when I burped it, it didn't blow hot air hot until I revved it a little, also I watched for when the thermostat opened, it did it when it was already reading about 240 then after it opened it went to 225-230 right at halfway. Definitely doesn't feel like it's overheating nothing is crazy hot. Just find it strange that it stays at that temperature, doesn't rise or fall.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
If you drill a small hole (1/8) in the body of the t stat you won't have this problem(air getting trapped) again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you drill a small hole (1/8) in the body of the t stat you won't have this problem(air getting trapped) again.
You think air inside is still the problem? The tstat is 180 so it's pretty far off where it should be, I mean I've burped the system 3 times about 15 min each and a decent amount of bubbles has comes out but no more

·
Registered
86 Posts
The next thing to suspect or at least inspect is the radiator. These radiators aren't known for excessive cooling capability. If a few veins are clogged up, then the ability of the radiator to exchange heat is compromised.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The next thing to suspect or at least inspect is the radiator. These radiators aren't known for excessive cooling capability. If a few veins are clogged up, then the ability of the radiator to exchange heat is compromised.
That's what I was thinking about getting to next, top hose is hot while bottom hose isn't at all, same thing with radiator, cold on left and hot on the right. I'll check it out today, thanks

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I do run heater on high when I burped it, it didn't blow hot air hot until I revved it a little,

This means there is air in it! It's hard to "burp" because the air is trapped in the manifold/top of the block. Take it out on the highway doing 50(overdrive off) as soon as the t stat opens the air will come out. May take a few cycles but it should work. To avoid this drill a hole in the t stat! For some reason the t stats don't come with air bleeds built in like a lot of others do. Below is what it looks like.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will try that as well, although the one I just put in did in fact have a bleeder on it. Gonna finish flushing out radiator and then drive it hopefully something works

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The problem was a temp sender, forgot these had BOTH a sensor and sender, replaced that and it shows correct temp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts