DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed many times but I couldn't find anyone with my specific issue. My third brake light is definitely not leaking (dry and clean headliner). I have a solid back window too so it isn't that. I was wondering if water could be leaking in through the cabin vents between the cab and the bed? Don't know where else it would be coming from. 2018 crew cab short bed.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Yes those vents are known to leak, they disintegrate. Other leak places could be roof seams , sunroof , and or drains , antenna , cab lights , windshield , take a hose to the rear window the gasket may be leaking . Most likely it’s the vents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes those vents are known to leak, they disintegrate. Other leak places could be roof seams , sunroof , and or drains , antenna , cab lights , windshield , take a hose to the rear window the gasket may be leaking . Most likely it’s the vents.
Ok thank you sir. Will do. Appreciate your response.

·
Registered
962 Posts
It still could be the 3rd brake light and most likely is. My headliner never got the least bit wet. There is a metal channel where the light sits that funnels the water toward the pillar. Then the water goes down to the floor and fills the storage bin area. 2 screws and the light is out. You could then look at the gasket. I tried the aftermarket seal as suggested and it failed also after a time. Best result was a new housing with a very light coating of sealer on the gasket, same as the TSB. Has been working great for years. Can't go too heavy on the sealant in case the light needs removed to replace a bulb.

The vents aren't as big of a problem as some make them out to be. My truck is 10 years old and sat it's entire life outside. They look brand new. So an '18 with bad vents, not very likely. Could check them to see that they were properly seated in the body though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It still could be the 3rd brake light and most likely is. My headliner never got the least bit wet. There is a metal channel where the light sits that funnels the water toward the pillar. Then the water goes down to the floor and fills the storage bin area. 2 screws and the light is out. You could then look at the gasket. I tried the aftermarket seal as suggested and it failed also after a time. Best result was a new housing with a very light coating of sealer on the gasket, same as the TSB. Has been working great for years. Can't go too heavy on the sealant in case the light needs removed to replace a bulb.

The vents aren't as big of a problem as some make them out to be. My truck is 10 years old and sat it's entire life outside. They look brand new. So an '18 with bad vents, not very likely. Could check them to see that they were properly seated in the body though.
Thanks for the input. Never realized it could be the 3rd brake light going down the corners. I'll have to check that out.

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,722 Posts
Yeah pull the 2 screws and if there is any dampness behind you found the problem. Most common after a carwash throwing gallons into the surround.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this has been discussed many times but I couldn't find anyone with my specific issue. My third brake light is definitely not leaking (dry and clean headliner). I have a solid back window too so it isn't that. I was wondering if water could be leaking in through the cabin vents between the cab and the bed? Don't know where else it would be coming from. 2018 crew cab short bed.
My 2018 had this problem and we resealed the 3rd light several times but it never worked. Some research by a local customize came up with the door weather seals and rain gutter have holes in them for the seal to connect to the frame but not all the wholes are used. He filled them with silicon and put the weather seal back on and that stopped the water from pooling in the bottom of my backseat areas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2014 1500 had both issues. I didn’t realize there was a channel from the brake light that ran the water to the pillar until I pulled it. The water slowed but didn’t stop. I then replaced the two air vents. The gaskets on both of them were terrible also. No more water leaks after that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2014 1500 had both issues. I didn’t realize there was a channel from the brake light that ran the water to the pillar until I pulled it. The water slowed but didn’t stop. I then replaced the two air vents. The gaskets on both of them were terrible also. No more water leaks aft

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had that problem with my 2010 quad cab replaced 3rd brake light and went to car wash and used wand all around back window. Then went thru high powers touch less wast no leak.it was so hard that it peeled some of the black paint off the killer between the doors but no leak.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts