DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that take your truck when you travel with the family, and dont want a tonneau cover, what are you using to keep suitcases and other stuff dry in case of rain?

Was looking at picking up something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CSLAWO/ref=psdc_15737921_t3_B004UZDPY4

I've seen the soft ones but wanted something a little more durable.

Would love to hear feedback of what others are using.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just get one of the plastic tubs with a lid from Walmart and duct tape the lid to seal it. I have probably done this at least a hundred times over the past 15 years and never had anything get wet or damaged. Cheap way to keep things in the bed and keep room in the cab.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
throw down a tarp and then load the bed. Then bungee the edges of the tarp together across the cargo so its kind of like your stuff sitting in a boat. Then throw a tarp over it and strap it down.

This is the method I usually use; much cheaper than a tonneau and doesn't limit the height of your cargo

·
Registered
135 Posts
throw down a tarp and then load the bed. Then bungee the edges of the tarp together across the cargo so its kind of like your stuff sitting in a boat. Then throw a tarp over it and strap it down.

This is the method I usually use; much cheaper than a tonneau and doesn't limit the height of your cargo
Just about all tonneau covers leak. You have to use this tarp method for large items that won't fit in a plastic container regardless, cover or not, if you want to be sure things stay dry.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
I'll be getting this bag from Tuff Truck here soon, definitely before my next camping trip this Fall. I think this will workout perfectly. And I'll be able to utilize the cargo management rail system in my Rambox bed to secure it down. I've done tarps, and for the most part they do work well. But they seem to always come loose on me or a piece starts flapping in the wind. It's just a hassle at times.

I like tonneau covers, and have always had one on my previous trucks that I could remove quickly and easily. But I haven't found one I like for my Rambox bed that isn't several hundred dollars, which I refuse to pay that kinda money for a bedcover.

So I think this is the ticket, at least for my use and budget:

https://www.amazon.com/Tuff-Truck-Bag-Waterproof-Carrier/dp/B004UZDPY4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1534187329&sr=8-3&keywords=pickup+bed+storage+bag

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
. I've done tarps, and for the most part they do work well. But they seem to always come loose on me or a piece starts flapping in the wind. It's just a hassle at times.

Sounds like you're forgetting the duct tape :gy:

I do like the bag idea. Looks like it stores easier and is easier to remove than a tonneau, and you're not relying on the tailgate to seal

·
3,247 Posts
Sounds like you're forgetting the duct tape :gy:

I do like the bag idea. Looks like it stores easier and is easier to remove than a tonneau, and you're not relying in the tailgate to seal
Never did try duct tape, but I did use a lot of straps and a spiderweb type of cargo net. It worked well for the most part but as mentioned there was always some flap that got loose it seemed, at least on the longer road trips at highway speeds. But yea, I'm anxious to try out the tuff truck bag. Like you said it looks to store well when not in use and should keep cargo dry.

My setup in ole' TruBlu with the tarp:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Trublu,

Would love to hear how well this bag works. Specifically, would be interested in using it on top of my Diamondback cover for additional waterproof space. Please come back and update on us the product. Thanks in advance.

VIC

·
3,247 Posts
Trublu,

Would love to hear how well this bag works. Specifically, would be interested in using it on top of my Diamondback cover for additional waterproof space. Please come back and update on us the product. Thanks in advance.

VIC
VIC - I sure will. I probably won't be using it before my October camping trip, but if I can find a reason to, I'll certainly post a review of it. Of the reviews I read online, the only negatives I found was about the zipper. But I do wonder if that was due to user error. Probably some were being careless when zipping, not sure. I'm still excited about it and think it'll be great for my use. Sounds like it would work great for you as well on top of your Diamondback cover with the anchor points you have on it.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
You could buy 2 of them and run the bed length with the 40", in a 6' 4" bed it would be tight but since it is soft would probably work fine. I think it is a very neat product for sure. Personally I've never felt the need to do anything extra with gear in the back when I had my tonneau cover or cap now. There are seems and drain holes so you still get water in the bed on really wet bad days but I've never had any problems our issues with soft gear in the bed.

·
3,247 Posts
The bag arrived today. Maybe if it rains this weekend, I'll drive around with some stuff in it to see if keeps everything dry. I'll write up a better review after I actually use it.

I'm sorta concerned about the fitment with my Rambox since it's so narrow. I definitely need to adjust the straps some, but it's 95 degrees outside with 200% humidity. I'll mess with it more tomorrow. But I'm still excited about it. Can't wait to use it on the camping trip! In addition to keeping things dry (hopefully), this will be nice to use with light stuff that could potentially blow out of the bed. Sorry about the poor lighting, it's getting dark and the truck is in the garage. It stores well in the Rambox.

·
3,247 Posts
Okay, I wiped the sweat from my brow, cracked open an ice cold Buschhhhh Light and went back out. I adjusted both the tension on the straps, as well as my cleats on the cargo management rails. It looks great! Takes up 90% of my bed when fully deployed and stretched out, but I can slide the cleats to make it any size I need. Again, I'll write up a better review of how it does going down the road 75mph in the pouring rain once the opportunity to do so presents itself.

Oh and R.I.P Aretha Franklin. Her story was on my garage tv while messing with the bag.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Lol, you couldn't wait to set it up.

Looks like about a perfect fit for a Rambox bed, just enough room for fishing gear on the sides

·
Registered
15,698 Posts
If you travel often enough, why not get a cover. A gator cover can be had for about 250.00. takes 15 minutes to install and be easily removed. Mine hasn't leaked yet.

·
3,247 Posts
Lol, you couldn't wait to set it up.

Looks like about a perfect fit for a Rambox bed, just enough room for fishing gear on the sides
Thanks. And yes, I think it will work well for my needs. I tell ya, this bag is really air-tight. After setting it up and taking a peak inside the bag, I had to unzip it again to get the air out before I could roll it back up. So if that is any indication of how water-tight it will be, then I don't think anything will be getting wet inside this bag once zipped up. :smileup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts