DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Whats bad about current supercharger kits for 2002-2008 RAM Trucks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the current supercharger kits for 2002-2008 RAM's suck?

Ever since we started posting info regarding our 4the GEN RAM kit, we are getting numerous requests for earlier year supercharger kits. Are there problems associated with kits, function, fit and finish or performance. Or is a lack of attention by the companies? Price issue?

We'd like to know

RIPTPECH

·
Registered
47 Posts
seems like anything 2002 to 2008 was forgotten for watever reason. on another note how many ppl actually end up buying a supercharger or turbo kit for even the 09+ trucks. ive been playing with the idea of supercharging my 08 but after having a highly modded car and it popping the motor kinda turned me off pretty quick as the trucks my dd

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
seems like anything 2002 to 2008 was forgotten for watever reason. on another note how many ppl actually end up buying a supercharger or turbo kit for even the 09+ trucks. ive been playing with the idea of supercharging my 08 but after having a highly modded car and it popping the motor kinda turned me off pretty quick as the trucks my dd
Well - thats an interesting point - Our kits are not set on "blast" - they are set up to add 100+hp and 100+ trq...

In our Jeep program, when guys weigh them down with gear, like bumpers, winches and long travel suspension. Turning through 35-40" tires our program has proven to be very successful in adding power and keeping the engine sound and reliable.

With our RAM program we are carrying over the philosophy, the kits set up for guys on 35-37" tires playing in the sand or mud. Or the guys that tow campers or trailers with their quads, jet skies or snowmobiles and the boys. But there is enough power on the ground for guys with light R/T's ro go drag racing with....

So your point is well taken - and we take that into consideration when in the R/D phases, because we are car guys too and we've been there done that as well. In fact we own and use the stuff we sell... :smileup:. Our 4TH Gne RAM will be towing our 2012 Jeep to shows next season... We're not looking to break down on the road.

RIPPTECH

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
My concerns are that the HEMI's aren't built specifically for forced induction and boost pressures. Eventually, they suffer some sort of ring, ring land or piston failure.

So let's talk about another question...

What does RIPP recommend with respects to building the HEMI to reliably handle "BLAST" and still run reliably over the long term?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My concerns are that the HEMI's aren't built specifically for forced induction and boost pressures. Eventually, they suffer some sort of ring, ring land or piston failure.

So let's talk about another question...

What does RIPP recommend with respects to building the HEMI to reliably handle "BLAST" and still run reliably over the long term?
We disagree - not totally but we do disagree, We've had our 2010 appart and we've built supercharged several SRT's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtC62aHa9_U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gBvgRC6B-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8rV9uCI1dk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUWP02ZOLvo

Most failures are associated with the roots type blowers, because it smashes the engine with boost right off idle and the pistons suffer. Positive displacement blowers will do that.. its fun to come out of the hole like a banshee - but the stock engine will always suffer. The lack of a proper centrifugal supercharger kit in the truck market really does bring this question to light. We knew going in it was going to be a bit of an uphill topic...

Centrifugal superchargers are a bit "lazier" with respect to delivering boost, they deliver boost based on the engines volumetric efficiency. So the more air the engine can move, the easier it is to deliver boost. Thats not to say its not "fun" its still strong, but it actually delivers less boost to get the job done because it delivers lots of volume as well. But its efficiency shows throughout the entire RPM band... it only takes 7-11 crank HP to deliver 100+ wheel hp... plus because its so big the boosted air does not get to hot (like a roots). Lastly is extremely predictable, meaning it will always deliver the boost at the same rate at the same RPM... unlike turbo or root (where the hotter they get the more they spike).

So while we know there have been horror stories out there with respect to boosted HEMI's our research shows it based mostly on positive displacement blowers. Secondly we are OEM tuners for Diablo, so our calibrations are very strong, we pay particular attention to knock counts are air fuel. Its very easy to cheat the engine out of safety. For example we won't name kits but, many provided calibrations shut the knock and rear O2 sensors off... that will more likely cause a tuning issue and ultimately engine failure.

WE DO NOT do that- we are use to Jeep guys who drive 2000 miles from home to for 100 miles into the middle of nowhere... that a very big responsibility. 99% of our clients run the provided RIPP tune right out of the tool...

But to answer your question - if your worried about the pistons... swap in a forged set or build a block on the side with components designed for boost. Your stock block will retain value as a core and you can sell it off.

Questions always welcome,
RIPPTECH

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Good info there. I do agree on the difference and impacts on the engine between the roots type and centrifugal type blowers.

Call me conservative but I disagree that you can boost a stock engine and count on longevity. But, I'd never boost a stock engine, anyway. I'd build it. That's just me because I would be driving it pretty hard....then I'd be looking for more! :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good info there. I do agree on the difference and impacts on the engine between the roots type and centrifugal type blowers.

Call me conservative but I disagree that you can boost a stock engine and count on longevity. But, I'd never boost a stock engine, anyway. I'd build it. That's just me because I would be driving it pretty hard....then I'd be looking for more! :D
Good perspective - a good build will only add to our kits validity...

RIPPTECH

·
Registered
47 Posts
hmmm this makes things more interesting. will you be offering intercooled step ups as well? and with the centrifugal blowers (correct me if im wrong im a turbo guy) but these type of blowers the compressors can be changed much like a turbo for diff mapping sizing ect insted of like the roots type where you more or less have to replace the whole damn thing? this would be much more attractive idea to me to upgrade as i go and getting the best out of each setup. as id get more powerhungry this usually ends up with every modded vehicle i own.

also another note i havent noticed much in the department of handling for these trucks(or i missed it) would you be offering any type of handling upgrades to help plant the power to these big beasts?

sorry if my ideas/questions are scattered im not very good at writting it out more of a builder thinker then paper guy

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmm this makes things more interesting. will you be offering intercooled step ups as well? and with the centrifugal blowers (correct me if im wrong im a turbo guy) but these type of blowers the compressors can be changed much like a turbo for diff mapping sizing ect insted of like the roots type where you more or less have to replace the whole damn thing? this would be much more attractive idea to me to upgrade as i go and getting the best out of each setup. as id get more powerhungry this usually ends up with every modded vehicle i own.

also another note i havent noticed much in the department of handling for these trucks(or i missed it) would you be offering any type of handling upgrades to help plant the power to these big beasts?

sorry if my ideas/questions are scattered im not very good at writting it out more of a builder thinker then paper guy
The V3 we use in our kits is a killer piece, it can handle boost levels up to 22psi. We've run them thast high in our older Mitsubishi programs. There the 3.0l V6 made 440 rear wheel hp - Supercharger differ in comparison to TC's in that they are very predictable. The boost curve is very linear and easy to map. For guys that tow its optimal because it does not spike or load up and it only requires 7-11 crank HP to deliver 100+ at the wheels. To raise boost all you need to do is change the pulley size.

Yes we use a water to air intercooler in our 09-2010 RAM kit - It uses a large heat exchanger mounted up front.

We do not offer suspension options, however Pure Performance does. We run a long travel suspension in our RIG and we can tell you first hand it takes a beating.

Supercharger specs:

V-3 Si-Trim Supercharger

View larger image

Performance Specs

Max Speed:52000 RPMMax
Boost:22 PSIMax
Flow:1150
CFMMax
Power:775
HPPeak Efficiency:78%

Performance specs apply to units equipped with standard gearcase.
Dimensions

Discharge OD:2.75"Inlet
OD:3.5"Discharge
ID:2.38"
Inducer Diameter:3.1"
Quality Features

• This design allows for supercharger installation and operation without oil lines
  • Extraordinary 78% peak efficiency
  • Ideal for latest generation of improved breathing, high-power street and strip engines
  • Vastly improved flow and efficiency at high boost levels, providing completely new levels of power gain
  • Helical gear design with 3.6:1 step-up
  • Includes remote fluid drain hose (attached to supercharger) that allows for simple fluid changes without removing the supercharger from the vehicle
  • A ventilated gear case assembly eliminates any potential internal pressure issues that are currently associated with non-vented competitive designs
  • Integrated gear case baffling for proper oil control
  • Simple oil slinger design does not require separate shaft or bearing set. This provides proper fluid delivery to gears and bearings
  • Integrated dipstick for simple fluid checks

·
Registered
47 Posts
The V3 we use in our kits is a killer piece, it can handle boost levels up to 22psi. We've run them thast high in our older Mitsubishi programs. There the 3.0l V6 made 440 rear wheel hp - Supercharger differ in comparison to TC's in that they are very predictable. The boost curve is very linear and easy to map. For guys that tow its optimal because it does not spike or load up and it only requires 7-11 crank HP to deliver 100+ at the wheels. To raise boost all you need to do is change the pulley size.

Yes we use a water to air intercooler in our 09-2010 RAM kit - It uses a large heat exchanger mounted up front.

We do not offer suspension options, however Pure Performance does. We run a long travel suspension in our RIG and we can tell you first hand it takes a beating.

Supercharger specs:

V-3 Si-Trim Supercharger

View larger image

Performance Specs

Max Speed:52000 RPMMax
Boost:22 PSIMax
Flow:1150
CFMMax
Power:775
HPPeak Efficiency:78%

Performance specs apply to units equipped with standard gearcase.
Dimensions

Discharge OD:2.75"Inlet
OD:3.5"Discharge
ID:2.38"
Inducer Diameter:3.1"
Quality Features

• This design allows for supercharger installation and operation without oil lines
  • Extraordinary 78% peak efficiency
  • Ideal for latest generation of improved breathing, high-power street and strip engines
  • Vastly improved flow and efficiency at high boost levels, providing completely new levels of power gain
  • Helical gear design with 3.6:1 step-up
  • Includes remote fluid drain hose (attached to supercharger) that allows for simple fluid changes without removing the supercharger from the vehicle
  • A ventilated gear case assembly eliminates any potential internal pressure issues that are currently associated with non-vented competitive designs
  • Integrated gear case baffling for proper oil control
  • Simple oil slinger design does not require separate shaft or bearing set. This provides proper fluid delivery to gears and bearings
  • Integrated dipstick for simple fluid checks

kind of funny you mention the 6g72 engine i own a twin turbo stealth ive been playing with for awhile dynod 604awhp. but 440 is very impressive for a super charger. guess theyve come along way since i kind of forgot about them since i was introduced to turbos.

what kind of price range are you hoping to stay in? wouldnt mind an extra 100whp to tie me over till the stealth is back together again....

·
Registered
184 Posts
They are awesome but in all honesty in todays economy it makes more sense to spend that money else where, plus then id have to pay some mechanic tons of money to install this thing.....id rather get a exhaust, CAI, and tuner for 40 percent the cost and get better mpgs which will end the end get me my money back...... and ill be honest i think my hemi is already a screamer lol and i dont require more power

·
Registered
2 Posts
The biggest problem with the 2003-06 models is the interior components. They just don't hold up to high horsepower applications, specifically the springs and pushrods. Also the pistons aren't forged, and neither is the crank. Neither of which makes for a good combination for boosting. Now, that said, if you replace the springs, pushrods, and cam with the 6.1 components (which Ma Mopar did in 2007 in the 5.7L) then it would theoretically hold fairly well with a system like yours (but not with a roots blower - again you would need forged lower components for that...) :thk:But here's an offer for you....I have a built 03 5.7 Hemi motor (forged pistons, 6.1 cam, springs, and pushrods) and heads ported for a blower/turbo setup.....would you be interested in using it for r&d in exchange for a unit for my truck?? I also have a lifted 08 that I would LOVE to have a supercharger in, which I can bring to you also to do r&d with in exchange for a unit....

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They are awesome but in all honesty in todays economy it makes more sense to spend that money else where, plus then id have to pay some mechanic tons of money to install this thing.....id rather get a exhaust, CAI, and tuner for 40 percent the cost and get better mpgs which will end the end get me my money back...... and ill be honest i think my hemi is already a screamer lol and i dont require more power
Well - those are two very different things - and we actually deliver better MPG... our shop rig picked up 3mpg in the city over the 5000 miles we've had it running.

The biggest problem with the 2003-06 models is the interior components. They just don't hold up to high horsepower applications, specifically the springs and pushrods. Also the pistons aren't forged, and neither is the crank. Neither of which makes for a good combination for boosting. Now, that said, if you replace the springs, pushrods, and cam with the 6.1 components (which Ma Mopar did in 2007 in the 5.7L) then it would theoretically hold fairly well with a system like yours (but not with a roots blower - again you would need forged lower components for that...) :thk:But here's an offer for you....I have a built 03 5.7 Hemi motor (forged pistons, 6.1 cam, springs, and pushrods) and heads ported for a blower/turbo setup.....would you be interested in using it for r&d in exchange for a unit for my truck?? I also have a lifted 08 that I would LOVE to have a supercharger in, which I can bring to you also to do r&d with in exchange for a unit....
Sure - but we are not pounding the engine with boost - we are delivering it gradually over the entire RPM band.

RIPPTECH

·
Registered
99 Posts
My little 2005 4.7L V8 is lacking something... oh yeah, power haha! I wouldn't mind a boost application for it. I'm curious about the price. I've thought about trading it in next spring for a newer Hemi Ram, but price of course plays a huge role in what we do these days. It may just be cheaper for me to add this supercharger kit to my truck then to go out and buy a newer truck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts