DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So am picking up my truck tomorrow. Torklift gear and steps getting installed on the 6th. I will be doing the weight distribution hitch install, as it is minor stuff that I can handle myself with confidence.

Thinking of going with the Curt pro series old style(chain links and torsion bars). Only because 500-800 $$$$ seems really high to me for some of the newer style hitches. Also, the old style looks like it might be the easiest for her with the torsion bars and chains. (Attaching and detaching when needed for backing up, plus just removing the trailer from the truck for access to the camper)

Frankly, am not even sure that the 3500 will need it, but want to have the extra safety and control for my wife, as she does the big pulling. (2600# dry weight 10'2" Northern Lite camper with a 7-8k fully loaded 3 horse Trailswest horse trailer) And yea, depending on her feedback after the horse camping trips, we might invest in rear air bags. (Our old 2500 Dodge absolutely had to have the air bags)

Money won't be an issue after we sell the old truck, but that probably won't happen until after the camping trips.

Place that sold us the Trailswest recommended the equal-I-zer 4 point sway control hitch, but crap, that thing is spendy!!!

Hitch noise is not an issue.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Big Horn
102 Posts
I had this Fastway e2 hitch on my 2500 before I went to a 5th wheel. It is just as good as an equalizer and costs a lot less. They also have one with the ball mounted for a little more.

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Fastway/FA92-00-1000.html

You can also check craigslist in your area and may find a great deal on a used Equalizer.

·
8,090 Posts
I use the Curt Pro Series with the spring bars and chains pulling a 28' and 20' enclosed car hauler. Never had an issue with either setup loaded up to 10,000 lbs. I was in the same boat as you in not wanting to spend $800 on a hitch setup. Got mine for $250-ish from E-trailer and never looked back.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I don't have a WDH but Curt makes great stuff. My recovery shackle mount and hitches are all Curt and made in the USA, because they still do that

·
Registered
70 Posts
i also have e2 hitch from my half ton i currently use on the 3/4. as said it's similar to the equalizer but cheaper option. also nice because you don't have to disconnect it to back up.
i use it on my 3/4 because the truck is leveled (bought it that way)and i don't want it to look ridiculous but also peace of mind while driving during windy travel days and i don't need another distraction while traveling.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for the advice. Am looking at both the Curt Pro and the Fastway. Both look like good options, and neither one breaks the bank. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi--newbie here. Bought our first travel trailer for a trip from Alaska to NY. Got a Curt weight distribution system and had it installed on F-150. Decided the F-150 wasn't enough truck so bought a 1500. When I look on the Curt website they don't give you an option to fit a Ram of any kind with a hitch after 2010, and the spec sheet says it won't fit. Trying to figure out why...here's the link to the specs, and it's page 13...https://assets.curtmfg.com/masterlibrary/01resources/appguides/CURT/Trailer_Hitches_and_Custom_Wiring_Application_Guide.pdf Can I use the Curt I have on the Ram?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had the chain WDH for many years. Decided to get the Equalizer 4. Huge difference should have done it years ago. I didn`t want to spend the extra money either.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi--newbie here. Bought our first travel trailer for a trip from Alaska to NY. Got a Curt weight distribution system and had it installed on F-150. Decided the F-150 wasn't enough truck so bought a 1500. When I look on the Curt website they don't give you an option to fit a Ram of any kind with a hitch after 2010, and the spec sheet says it won't fit. Trying to figure out why...here's the link to the specs, and it's page 13...https://assets.curtmfg.com/masterlibrary/01resources/appguides/CURT/Trailer_Hitches_and_Custom_Wiring_Application_Guide.pdf Can I use the Curt I have on the Ram?

thanks in advance!
Not sure if it's the same, but my old 2012 1500 already had the hitch installed from the factory, but they didn't include the receiver. Cheap bastards. $120 at the dealer was a chunk of iron that bolted on. Look under your bumper - if you see what looks like a hitch w/o the receiver, get the hitch receiver piece from the dealer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts