DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Ram 1500 with the 5.9. When under hard acceleration in about the 3-4500 RPM range there is a weird rattling type noise. Any ideas what this could be? I really hope its not a motor issue...the truck sounds fine at idle and runs great at normal operating speeds, just when I mash it it makes that sound and it's rather unnerving...Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
112 Posts
is it a fast rattle like as fast as the rpm's? or is it a vibration rattle? could be an exhaust issue like something in your cat came lose or an exhaust shield came lose. most likely not a engine issue as if it were you would probably get a bang as well. but it all depends on what kind of rattle. could be a rocker, could be a wrist pin coming lose and banging. does it sound like its coming from inside the motor or outside? bottom or top end? does it do it when sitting still or only under load?how many miles on your truck?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds more like a vibration rattle and it sounds more like outside it only does it under a load and it doesn't affect the operation the RPM's don't jump or drop when it occurs and there's no loss in power. I have around 81,000 miles on the truck.

·
Registered
239 Posts
sounds like detonation to me. check to see if there is any oil down inside the intake. the belly pan gasket is notorious for blowing on these things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts