DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at accident statistics and see that for one section of highway there is a long steep uphill grade and then the road levels out at the top of the grade. Of all of the spin out of control and loss of control wet weather crashes, 25% of all of the crashes are Dodge pickup trucks. There certainty is not that percentage of Dodge trucks mixed in the vehicles using this highway. Why are the Dodges spinning out, but not other trucks? Could it be the cruise control dropping down a gear and applying power because of the hill? Could it be the posi-traction? Are these trucks all hydroplaning when other trucks are not?
Any response would be appreciated.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
IMO it could very well be the tires the Ram comes equipped with. I'm not at all a fan of the Goodyears. I'm sure those stats don't account for the brand or condition of the tires though.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
No matter what book that you read on driving with CRUISE CONTROL, somewhere in the article or report, it will tell you to shut off the cruise control when it is raining or wet

How to avoid hydroplaning:

Don't drive with bald or badly worn tires.
Ensure your tires are properly inflated.
Check tire pressure and slow down when rainfall is heavy or storm water is standing on the road.
Don't use cruise control on wet roads

Winter driving with ice, snow and sleet can also cause hydroplaning. For your safety, cruise control should also be avoided during these wet and slick conditions.

another article about it

Lose the cruise control
Your new hot ride has all the latest electronically controlled traction aids; you’ve put on your winter tires; and you’re on a road you know. You put the car into cruise control and settle back into your heated leather seat, relaxed even though it’s snowing and the road is a tad slippery. The car handles like a dream until you hit that first sweeping hillside curve. As programmed, the automatic transmission downshifts when the speed drops below the preset threshold. The sudden surge of power causes the wheels to break traction, and the car begins to skid. If your ride is as awesome as advertised, that new failproof electronic traction system will work, but why test it? Leave the cruise control off. Human control is still the better choice in slippery conditions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tires

IMO it could very well be the tires the Ram comes equipped with. I'm not at all a fan of the Goodyears. I'm sure those stats don't account for the brand or condition of the tires though.
No all I have is the make and model of the vehicle and the weather/pavement conditions. Don't like those Goodyears? In wet or dry or both?

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
I don't like them for anything. I don't care for the way the wear, ride or handle and I've literally seen thousands of them on Rams over the years.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I have to agree with Randy, i have never seen a tire wear so bad, have such horrible ratings, blow belts, blow out...suck in pretty much anything! 20" wheels have become popular over the years which means there is a very large variety of tires coming in the size for the ram, your best bet is to change em while you can!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts