DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well since Fiat got caught cheating on the way it calculated fuel mileage I can give you my observations from real data I've collected off the display.

2015 Eco diesel 3.92 rear 8 speed.

2018 Eco diesel 3.92 rear 8 speed.

I just took a 250 mile trip to Disney and at 78Mph I got 23.7MPG at best on the 18 Eco. with green diesel tune no pedal commander.

The same trip in my 15 Eco a few years back I did 28.4 no green diesel tune but with pedal commander.

Still good mileage but was hoping for better.

Florida flat land mileage..

Weather for both trips was hot and no rain.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
How many miles on the 18 vs when the trip was done in the 15?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I know your pain all too well. I has a 2016 Eco which the dealer did the “software update” and it totally screwed the mileage from that point forward. At the time, FCA was telling all it was just an update but in reality it was removing the cheat software that permitted the terrific mileage. I dumped it shortly after as the writing was on the wall and Inwas done with the Eco.

Fast forward to May of this year and Inwas trading for my current 2018 Hemi Longhorn Southfork Edition. The salesman did all he could to get me to bite in an Eco and admittted the mileage isn’t what they used to get but still better than a Hemi. I thanked him politely and purchased the Hemi. Sorry to hear about your pain. Hope it gets better but my experience with two Ecos was enough for me.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know your pain all too well. I has a 2016 Eco which the dealer did the “software update” and it totally screwed the mileage from that point forward. At the time, FCA was telling all it was just an update but in reality it was removing the cheat software that permitted the terrific mileage. I dumped it shortly after as the writing was on the wall and Inwas done with the Eco.

Fast forward to May of this year and Inwas trading for my current 2018 Hemi Longhorn Southfork Edition. The salesman did all he could to get me to bite in an Eco and admittted the mileage isn’t what they used to get but still better than a Hemi. I thanked him politely and purchased the Hemi. Sorry to hear about your pain. Hope it gets better but my experience with two Ecos was enough for me.

I'm going to keep this one for a few years providing it turns out to be as good as my 15 was. I'm not complaining too much because it still beats the hemi's which I've had a few. I basically bought this truck for the mileage and i don't really tow anything.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just remembered something my 15 had air suspension and it went into an aero mode at speed my 18 has no air suspension and does not lower the front. That may have helped in the 15s mileage as well.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I just remembered something my 15 had air suspension and it went into an aero mode at speed my 18 has no air suspension and does not lower the front. That may have helped in the 15s mileage as well.
Maybe your 18 evic is actually reading closer to real mileage than your 15.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
The emissions equipment mandated by the EPA is harmful to your engine and detrimental to fuel efficiency, which is why there are certain engine protection measures allowed to be used by manufacturers. FCA didn't disclose all of the ones they were using on the original EcoDiesels which is what got them in trouble-now would those have kept it from certifying EPA compliant? IDK, but since they had to dial back the engine protection measures you're going to get worse MPG. In the interest of longevity I would delete EGR at least, if not the DPF also; those regen cycles where the truck dumps fuel into the engine to burn out ("clean") the diesel particulate filter just torpedo your fuel mileage.

This is why I see all the indignance directed at VW as disingenuous; they found a way to give customers a reliable, fuel efficient car like they wanted. The people mandating the emissions standards are aloof from the reality of the harm the systems used do to the engine.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The emissions equipment mandated by the EPA is harmful to your engine and detrimental to fuel efficiency, which is why there are certain engine protection measures allowed to be used by manufacturers. FCA didn't disclose all of the ones they were using on the original EcoDiesels which is what got them in trouble-now would those have kept it from certifying EPA compliant? IDK, but since they had to dial back the engine protection measures you're going to get worse MPG. In the interest of longevity I would delete EGR at least, if not the DPF also; those regen cycles where the truck dumps fuel into the engine to burn out ("clean") the diesel particulate filter just torpedo your fuel mileage.

This is why I see all the indignance directed at VW as disingenuous; they found a way to give customers a reliable, fuel efficient car like they wanted. The people mandating the emissions standards are aloof from the reality of the harm the systems used do to the engine.

My EGR is deleted but I kept the regens..

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

By the way I agree when it does it's regens the fuel mileage and performance suffer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts