DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone my 3500 should be arriving in Upstate NY Tomorrow. I have the full vin and ordered a build sheet. ( must say Chrysler is really fast ) . My question is : " What are front and rear wheel spats ?? " I can't wait to get my truck starting to keep me awake at night !

thanks in advanced.
rich

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
Spats may refer to:

Spats (footwear), a type of shoe accessory
Spats (radio series), a comedy sketch show on BBC 7
Spats, automobile wheel covers also known as fender skirts
Wheel spats, British term for aerodynamic fairings that reduce the drag on fixed-undercarriage aircraft
"Spats" Columbo, lead gangster in the film Some Like It Hot

Chrysler decided to call mudflaps, Spats

·
Registered
354 Posts
Spats are what they call the little black plastic trim pieces at the bottom rear corners of your wheel wells. The go up about 6 inches and project out about half an inch. They are not mudflaps and don't do much to protect your lower paint from mud spatter or rocks. True mudflaps that will fit your truck are available from a variety of sources.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Spats may refer to:

Spats (footwear), a type of shoe accessory
Spats (radio series), a comedy sketch show on BBC 7
Spats, automobile wheel covers also known as fender skirts
Wheel spats, British term for aerodynamic fairings that reduce the drag on fixed-undercarriage aircraft
"Spats" Columbo, lead gangster in the film Some Like It Hot

Chrysler decided to call mudflaps, Spats
well look at u gtyankee......two for two hahaha made my day

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
that is strange, i didn't get those fancy type
My Build Sheet reads
MPPP rear wheel spats & i received mudflaps

But then i never got some other things either, like a front license plate bracket, that no one ever gets

·
Registered
354 Posts
I got the little plastic spats on mine from the factory. Every new truck I've seen at the dealer also has them. I'm going to be adding mudflaps. Didn't get any front plate bracket either, but this is Florida and we don't have front license plates here.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Spats are what they call the little black plastic trim pieces at the bottom rear corners of your wheel wells. The go up about 6 inches and project out about half an inch. They are not mudflaps and don't do much to protect your lower paint from mud spatter or rocks. True mudflaps that will fit your truck are available from a variety of sources.
Yep......same here......my sheet lists spats and I have those little plastic thingamabobs.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Mud spats are like mini mudflaps. They also changed them in 2011.

2010 and prior front:

2010 and prior rear:

2011 and newer front:

2011 and newer rear:

The older ones did next to nothing. The newer ones help a lot, not as much as real mudflaps, but they do help a lot. I think they look about 100 times better than mudflaps too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh yea live on a dirt road so I am gonna need real mudflaps not spats . thanks for the pictures. I will let you all know about the front lic plate bracket - the build sheet says that it will be there.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mud spats are like mini mudflaps. They also changed them in 2011.

2010 and prior front:

2010 and prior rear:

2011 and newer front:

2011 and newer rear:

The older ones did next to nothing. The newer ones help a lot, not as much as real mudflaps, but they do help a lot. I think they look about 100 times better than mudflaps too.

Do you have a part number for the older ones?

I am looking for the older spats (before 2011)

Thanks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey I'm on my phone right now but can get the numbers of the old ones later on. I can even sell your mine cheap if you want

Ok, Thanks

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Here you go. Didn't realize the "snap clips" on the front ones are broken. I don't think it'd effect it at all. But if you want them Ill give them all to you cheap.

Fronts:

Mids:

Rears:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Do you have to remove these to put actual mud flaps on?
I had to remove mine (2013) to put on the weathertech mud flaps.

·
Registered
818 Posts
theyre sort of nut / push-pins ;
you unscrew them (try pulling gently at the same time) then the hole push rivit pulls out

I pulled my 6 spats off and plasti-dip'd em white to match my truck ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts