DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
** What are my options for upgrading the suspension?
  1. air bag insert - heard they can rupture/leak... so longevity issue.
  2. air bag to replace the springs
  3. Upgraded coil springs.
  4. other.
Hoping to get some advice/guidance on a suspension upgrade... 2020 Express, 3.92 axle ratio, specifically purchased for towing a travel trailer. I also have a BlueOx weight distribution/stabilizing hitch.

Yes, I am entirely sure my truck can handle towing my trailer... Based on tongue weight, capacity, and trailer weight.
But, the coil springs on these trucks are spongy... so I'm wondering:

(no I'm not getting a 2500 instead :rolleyes:)
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Lots of options since you have a 4th gen truck. That design has been around since 2009 so you should be able to search suspension and lift options for 2009-2018 RAM 1500s also (in addition to 2019+ Classic).

Too many options to list (strut/tophat spacer, adjustable shocks, new coils, etc.) let alone places that sell them (Zone, Rough Country, BDS, ReadyLIFT, etc.).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lots of options since you have a 4th gen truck. That design has been around since 2009 so you should be able to search suspension and lift options for 2009-2018 RAM 1500s also (in addition to 2019+ Classic).

Too many options to list (strut/tophat spacer, adjustable shocks, new coils, etc.) let alone places that sell them (Zone, Rough Country, BDS, ReadyLIFT, etc.).
Thanks for letting me know there are lots of options. Unfortunately, that is not very specific and as a truck 'nube' I've been having a difficult time determining the most feasible option between; safety, ride (towing / not towing), price, installation complexity.
I have a quote for new coils that I've been thinking about for the spring, but at this point am not entirely sure it the the best path.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
get a set of tufftruck variable springs, keep the oem ride and stiffen up as weight is added.

then, if you truly need more, go with an airbag, that fits inside the coil spring, but make sure each bag has its on hose.
onbaord compressor is nic but raises teh price.

thjis way, you keep oerm ride but get the most towing ability and nicest ride your truck can acheive

DO NOT GET THOSE DUMB ARSE TIMBREN CRAP OR A K&N FILTER>
Nothing screams I am total clueless nitwit as buying that crap.
Think of them as the Steve Urkel of the truck world.

Reactions: MOFOGO and Tkende01

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
get a set of tufftruck variable springs, keep the oem ride and stiffen up as weight is added.

then, if you truly need more, go with an airbag, that fits inside the coil spring, but make sure each bag has its on hose.
onbaord compressor is nic but raises teh price.

thjis way, you keep oerm ride but get the most towing ability and nicest ride your truck can acheive
Thanks for this. Validates what I'm learning about improving my truck.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Thanks for this. Validates what I'm learning about improving my truck.
don't forge to comeback with pictures and an Opinions.
Help another make up his mind, who knows when.

Reactions: MOFOGO

·
Registered
175 Posts
What's the weight on the boat?. Easier to start there. Based on your tongue weigth is easier to pick a new set of coil springs to help manage the weight s bit better. Tuff Truck has couple of coil spring options to help you achieve the goal if you want to keep your height stockish but want to have better weight control.also upgrading the rear sway bar will make things even better to manage the spongy feeling under weight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts