DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know about things like changing the exhaust to dual. That'd eat up about $200 or so.

What else can I do for my budget?

·
Registered
1 Posts
CAI (cold air intake) will help performance. Possibly a high performance distributor. Those are probably the cheapest

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
First things first. Do you plan on keeping the throttle body injection or swap to carburetor? Either way, best thing for the 318LA is a better cam. Which one depends on whether you keep the FI or go carb. Are there emissions issues to consider?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is this an LA or Magnum block?

I'm sorry Brutus. I don't know what you mean by "LA", but I'm pretty sure it's not a Magnum. All I know is, it's a 318 with a 2-barrell Holley (stock?) on it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First things first. Do you plan on keeping the throttle body injection or swap to carburetor? Either way, best thing for the 318LA is a better cam. Which one depends on whether you keep the FI or go carb. Are there emissions issues to consider?

The truck has a pretty big Holley 2 barrell on it (if I knew how to post pics on this site I'd show you what it looks like), so I don't know if it was a fuel injected engine and was converted or has always had a carb on it. But I doubt '90 Rams came with Holley's on 'em, lol.

Either way, it's got a carb on it now and I wouldn't know the first thing about how to put it back to FI, even if I wanted to.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can only post pics from websites, it seems. And the only website I have pics on is Facebook, but when I try to paste those, I just get a box with a red X in it. ...sigh....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Does your 2 barrel look like the one pictured on the intake at this link?
http://www.steigerperformance.com/products/sp01014.html
if so, it's a Holley fuel injector, not a carb. Need to know that before you do anything.

Well I'll be damn! That's exactly what's sitting there! I thought that was a carb! Hell, I was even adjusting the idle with the little horizontal screw coming out of the back of the thing, just like you would with a carb.

Damn!

I have no idea how to work on something like this...

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Aside from fresh injectors, sensors, and gaskets there's not much to do on the throttle body. CompCams makes a nice roller cam. It is considered by them to be a stock replacement cam. What that means is that it works fine with the stock computer and injector. It does not mean the stock valve springs will work. Since their cam has considerably more lift you have to use the matching springs. It's their 254HR cam. DO NOT skimp on the springs. Use new locks. Stock retainers are fine. The stock 318LA (meaning pre-Magnum) cam is pathetic. If you want any performance at all, you have to start there. Add a new timing gear and chain, you'll be in about $450 at that point. Everything you do from there will maximize the improved baseline. Beyond that you have options, but you need cash. The Injector from a 360 along with matching computer was one of the few mods Mopar offered to upgrade 318 performance back then. You can also do 360 head swap, Magnum head swap, carburetor retrofit. You name it. The 318LA is a great foundation to build from. These things can belt out 400hp at 6000rpm with a streetable cam if you're so inclined, but it'll take more like $2500 to do that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i have an 87 with the 318 and ive got a few upgrades that seem to work pretty well, edlebrock intake, 650cfm 4 bbl carb, cam (not sure what size, was already on truck) true duel exhaust-flowmasters. port/polished valves/pistons. i think theres more cant remember off hand..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts