DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have been looking at some Rams that I would like to buy. A big question that stumps me on buying one is; what are the differences between a 2500 and a 1500? The reason why I ask this is because I like the 2500 is because it looks like a tank! Most 3/4 ton trucks do.( I assume this is only because of a beefier suspension) Where as you have a 1500 looks more like a regular truck. No offense!:smileup: Is it just because it sits higher, this makes the front look bigger as well? Hell, I even like the wheels most 2500's come with over the 1500.

Is a simple solution to my crossroad simply lifting a 1500 approximately 6 inches to give it that 3/4 ton appearance and swapping wheels? Or is there more to a 2500 that I am unaware of?

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
Mostly it is the type of springs, leaf instead of coil
to me coil springs are for cars & a car like ride
Leaf springs are for hauling & towing, which the 2500 does well

Another other thing is the transmission, the 2500 model has a heavier duty transmission

The 3rd thing is the 1500 models have MDS, ( the engine can cut out 4 cylinders, & supposedly get better fuel mileage )
The 2500s don't have that function, they always use all 8 cylinders

·
Registered
573 Posts
The 2500 front bumper is different than the 1500

·
Registered
88 Posts
The driver of the 2500 is tougher :LOL:

As far as the cosmetics go it's the front grille and bumper, stance and badging. Other than that they look identical to my eyes.

Underneath though it's rear leaf springs, heavier axles front and back, different tranny, no MDS and heavier suspension pieces. Plus some options and cab/bed configurations you can't get on the 1500.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just about everything about the truck is different. The suspension, steering, the entire drive train, solid axles, brakes, the frame, rims/tires, towing capacity, the way it rides, way it drives. The only thing that isn't different is the interior. Its a heavy duty truck.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Lots of differences between the 1500 and 2500, night and day diff. Not so much between the 2500 and 3500 though. The 3500 has one more leaf spring in the rear and doesn't have the tire pressure monitoring system like the 2500, that's about all.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
If mpg is a concern, you will want the 1500.

If MPG is a concern, a truck is not the direction to go; perhaps looking at a car from Honda or a Toytoa might be the way to go..... I haven't seen any mileage number on the new Dart that is coming out

Exco

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Mostly it is the type of springs, leaf instead of coil
to me coil springs are for cars & a car like ride
Leaf springs are for hauling & towing, which the 2500 does well

Another other thing is the transmission, the 2500 model has a heavier duty transmission

The 3rd thing is the 1500 models have MDS, ( the engine can cut out 4 cylinders, & supposedly get better fuel mileage )
The 2500s don't have that function, they always use all 8 cylinders
Is there any physical differences between the two?
The driver of the 2500 is tougher :LOL:

As far as the cosmetics go it's the front grille and bumper, stance and badging. Other than that they look identical to my eyes.

Underneath though it's rear leaf springs, heavier axles front and back, different tranny, no MDS and heavier suspension pieces. Plus some options and cab/bed configurations you can't get on the 1500.
Depends on how you get it equipped on whether the trans is different.

If you get a 2500 with a Hemi, its the same 5.7L and same Trans you get in a 1500, with different gear ratio's. The rear end is beefier and the suspension is as well.

Really thats the only difference in a diesel is the engine, the transmission is pretty much the same, minus the bolt pattern on the bell housing.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Just about everything about the truck is different. The suspension, steering, the entire drive train, solid axles, brakes, the frame, rims/tires, towing capacity, the way it rides, way it drives. The only thing that isn't different is the interior. Its a heavy duty truck.
Well.......not exactly. Even the interior is affected. LOL You cannot get the console with shifter in the HD trucks. It's strictly a column shifter. OK...OK...your right, I'm nit picking a detail. ;)

As Moparornocar72 indicated, the entire front clip is different. Hood, fenders, grill. I'm not 100% sure but I believe the headlights are the same as the 1500's.
Behind the front clip, I have not been able to identify an difference in the body as far as the cab and box are concerned.

The differences between the 1500's and the HD trucks so great that it is easier to list only the things that are the same, and that appears to be limited to the cab, box and for the most part, the interior.

BTW - Even the Hemi in the HD trucks is different then the Hemi in the 1500's. Part of the difference is in the MDS, but it does have a different HP/Torque rating. Some of this difference is in the PCM, some is in the engine. There are many internal parts with different P/N's.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the heavier duty cooling systems (engine coolant, engine oil, transmission).

This is all assuming you are talking NEW. The sheet metal and interior differences apply to the 4th gen truck, but not the older trucks. The only exception to that being in 2002, when the 3rd gens came out only the 1500s upgraded, the 2500 and 3500 were still 2nd gens and upgraded to 3rd gen in 2003. Also, the base motor in the 3rd and 4th gen 2500 and 3500 is the Hemi - none of the smaller motors that are available in the 1500 are available in the HDs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts