DODGE RAM FORUM banner

What are these things? (two bars on front of frame)

4K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Huffpuff 
#1 ·
I noticed these two square tube 'bars' mounted to the front of the frame of my 2012 2500. Anyone know what they are for? I was thinking maybe a snow plow mount or something?

Anyway, I took them off because they hang down precariously and I don't see a need for them :D

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
50 views and nobody knows what that is? Well I don't feel dumb anymore ;P

#4 ·
Those my friend, appear to be winch mounts. I could be wrong, woudl help if I saw them on the truck, then I could tell you for sure. Some dealer's make their 3/4 ton trucks "winch ready", especially in areas where they get alot of farm/work truck sales. Winches come in handy on the farm :)

#5 ·
Hmm, could be, I hadn't thought of that. I'm going from memory but they hung straight down off the frame about 18-24" back from the front bumper and sticking out maybe 3-4" lower than the metal part of the bumper. I've never had a winch, is that where you'd hang one?

#7 ·
Thanks guys :) I took them off before I thought to take a picture sorry. Regardless, I don't need a plow and I would love to have a winch but cant justify it.

#9 ·
I've seen those on cars but these things are very heavy duty and there's two of them. I'll have to ask the dealer next time I'm there but I doubt they'll know more than the folks here ;)

#11 ·
The same question was asked on another forum. According to Ram engineering the are called compatibility brackets? The are required for vehicles under 10,000 GVW to meet car bumper requirements. Since these trucks sit higher than cars they are there to prevent a car from going to far under the truck in a high impact situation.

Reactions: Bikenut
#12 ·
OHHH! That makes total sense! Thank You! Im going to try to do the Rep think for ya ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.