DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, would like to see what you folks out there with 2007 Ram 1500 (5.7 HEMI) are towing and how does it handle. I am looking to tow a 25ft Travel Trailer. Would any of you care to share your stories?:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I tow an older 17' pop up that weighs about 3000 lbs, and have never hit the tow button. It will roll down the interstate at 90 MPH like nothing in behind me. We have friends who also have Travel Trailers and the only ones who compain about how thier half ton pulls are the ones who are pulling 30 footers and maxed out on weight.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I dont have the Hemi but i tow a 6,000 lb boat and i can tell its back there but doesnt handle bad at all

·
Registered
250 Posts
I dont have the Hemi but i tow a 6,000 lb boat and i can tell its back there but doesnt handle bad at all
I came to this thread just to see if any one that had a similar truck to mine was towing any thing! I plan on purchasing some type of pop up or small toy hauler if I can with my 2007 4.7 V8. In do time! :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
17' Hybrid with mine. She is around 3900lbs and tows like it's not even there. Mileage is around 11-12 but the Hemi hardly even knows it's back there.

·
Administrator
2017 Ram Rebel 5.7L Flame Red
42,039 Posts
17' Hybrid with mine. She is around 3900lbs and tows like it's not even there. Mileage is around 11-12 but the Hemi hardly even knows it's back there.
Nice looking Trailer now that is something I need to look into!!

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
The only other piece of advice I could give would be if your going the trailer route get a dual axle unit. This little one isn't bad but can get choppy. Dual axle trailers pull as smooth as glass, you don't get the bobbing (for lack of a better word) like you do with a single axle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't have a 2007 (or a Hemi), but I used to tow this with my 5.9 '97 1500:

The trailer was about 800 pounds, the car about 2600. The truck towed great as long as I wasn't going up steep hills. Every time I was going up a hill and watched the speedo drop from 70 to 60 to 50 to 40 I wished for some Hemi power. Or Cummins power, even. :4-dontknow:

When I first bought the trailer I was towing it home, it towed so good I completely forget the trailer was back there. I went to change lanes and nearly crushed a car that was in the lane already. Oops.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there, My 2004 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi had 208,000 kms when it threw a rod punching a hole in the block. Only going 70 km (43 mph) coming home from camping on first trip out towing a 2002 5th wheel with a gross weight of 3300 klios (7,600Lbs.) I was assured by the RV dealer that sold me the truck it would easily tow my 5th wheel. I was taking it easy on the truck, wanting to see how it would handle. Thank God it broke down on a secondary road and not going up Cochrane hill. No motor equals no brakes. I was very dissappointed to say the least. This isn't the first truck or RV, I have ever owned. I have purchased a used hemi with 135,000 kms on it and a auto trans with 70,000 kms on it. Fiquired I might as well change both because if the motor was driven that hard, the trans would be next. I won't know what happened to the motor until I pull it out and strip it down to see what all went wrong. I would have been better off to have paid a few thousand more dollars and purchased from a owner that had taken care of proper maintenance. My $7,000.xx Truck is turning into a $10,000.xx truck with me providing the free labour. I got a deal on used for $3,000.xx There were no others to be had. Dodge dealer rebuilt was $6,000.xx exchange plus $3,000.xx for R&R. A rebuilder in Calgary was only $500.xx cheaper. Trans would be extra. If I had known how expensive and hard to get these motors were I never would have purchased this truck. This truck sounded real good and drove nice when I tested it. The next time I buy one I'll do a car fax to get history on it. I tell you I really thought about dropping in a 440 cammed up and a 5speed standard trans. Would have been cheaper but the electronics scared me off. Maybe next time I'll buy a Dodge Dually-Cummings motor. Jim in Calgary.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Purchasing a used truck is risky in itself but a used truck to tow a fifth wheel @ 7K lbs is even riskier with 129K miles on it.
Personally I wouldn't buy a vehicle with more than 60K miles on it, too risky when you plan to haul a fifth wheel or some thing of that similar weight.
That really is terrible that it happened to you though!
I would really be disappointed and want to trash the vehicle.
Good luck with the repairs though Jim!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts