DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so when i change my cam i am looking for a very noticeable difference in power! I love the top end of the 268 but like the wide torque of the 260. The 273? Or whatever seems like just a top end adder and i want full range. So will the 268 be what i want? I would like to have the extra torque for my quad cab but i want some badass pull top end! I know there are other cams out there as well so im open for suggestions... My goal is when i lay into it the first time after the swap i want there to be no doubt that its faster ya know? Make my friends go Damn this is fast! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If you do put a bigger cam in first off your gonna need a diablosport tuner so you can get a custom tune unless you have a local shop that will custom tune it for you.

Also i would get a diablosport tuner for the simple fact that you may go to hop in your truck one day and for whatever reason it running like crap and the tune decided to crap out well now what are you gonna do since you dont have the tune to reload onto the truck?

Here are a few other questions you need to ask yourself. Do i have the tools,time, and resorces to make this cam install work. Do i have the proper instructions ie: Torque Specs, Spring compressor, Crank Pulley Puller, I would go out and get a Chilten for you year model ram it may help out a lot. You are gonna need head gaskets, new springs, pushrods, you might want new retainers, If you could get some ported heads that would make for a nice addition as well, If it were me i would call Stu at inertia motorsports and see if you can work out a trade + some cash on a decent set of ported heads with new retainers and new springs so that when you do the cam swap you just throw the new heads on and you dont even have to mess with old heads... Stu can also set you up with a good cam and pushrods too.

But if you are dead set on a billet comp cam i would get something thats going to produce high low end torque thats were your gears will use it so thats what i would do im sure Fred will chime in he might help you pick out something better. I know alot of folks like that Sidewinder cam.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you do put a bigger cam in first off your gonna need a diablosport tuner so you can get a custom tune unless you have a local shop that will custom tune it for you.

Also i would get a diablosport tuner for the simple fact that you may go to hop in your truck one day and for whatever reason it running like crap and the tune decided to crap out well now what are you gonna do since you dont have the tune to reload onto the truck?

Here are a few other questions you need to ask yourself. Do i have the tools,time, and resorces to make this cam install work. Do i have the proper instructions ie: Torque Specs, Spring compressor, Crank Pulley Puller, I would go out and get a Chilten for you year model ram it may help out a lot. You are gonna need head gaskets, new springs, pushrods, you might want new retainers, If you could get some ported heads that would make for a nice addition as well, If it were me i would call Stu at inertia motorsports and see if you can work out a trade + some cash on a decent set of ported heads with new retainers and new springs so that when you do the cam swap you just throw the new heads on and you dont even have to mess with old heads... Stu can also set you up with a good cam and pushrods too.

But if you are dead set on a billet comp cam i would get something thats going to produce high low end torque thats were your gears will use:str: it so thats what i would do im sure Fred will chime in he might help you pick out something better. I know alot of folks like that Sidewinder cam.
Thanks for the info, im planning on getting a shop to install it i have a buddy who has one,
Wouldn't happen to have a contact number would you? Also even now you think i would benefit from switching to a diablo? Only thing that has kept me from it is i hear superchips tranny tuning is better

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Thanks for the info, im planning on getting a shop to install it i have a buddy who has one,
Wouldn't happen to have a contact number would you? Also even now you think i would benefit from switching to a diablo? Only thing that has kept me from it is i hear superchips tranny tuning is better
I dont advise this but i hear people use both the superchips TCM tunning stacked with the diablosport tune. Now having said that i wouldnt do itjust for the simple fact that these were not made to doit. But if you were to i would load just the superchips tranny adjustments and keep everything thing else stock and then load the diablo tune on top of that. Thus the diablo will think that your stock tune is the superchips tune and go from there...

Here is inertia motorsports website it has his email and phone numbers right on the homepage. Stu is the go to guy when it comes to these motors.

http://www.inertiamotorsports.com/

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont advise this but i hear people use both the superchips TCM tunning stacked with the diablosport tune. Now having said that i wouldnt do itjust for the simple fact that these were not made to doit. But if you were to i would load just the superchips tranny adjustments and keep everything thing else stock and then load the diablo tune on top of that. Thus the diablo will think that your stock tune is the superchips tune and go from there...

Here is inertia motorsports website it has his email and phone numbers right on the homepage. Stu is the go to guy when it comes to these motors.

http://www.inertiamotorsports.com/
I dunno about stacking tuners lol ill check it out thanks man

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Talk to Stu...but if you want to be shocked when you hit the pedal...his crazy jay or spartan cam will put a smile on your face.. crazy jay's power comes on early (great for every day driving)...the spartan is more midrange.. I went from a mild 6.1 cam which had good top end to a spartan which woke my truck up at 2500 rpms and above...

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
When it comes to cams you have to be very honest with yourself about how you plan to use the vehicle. Will it be a daily driver with occasional track use, do you have the gears/t-verter to compliment your cam selection. I just went through this choice myself with trying to fit myself into the comp cam selection, but when I broke down my needs, I ended up calling Stu at Inertia and we worked out a custom grind that would suit my driving style and intended usage. There's nothing like getting a custom cam to match exactely what you want rather than trying to fit yourself into a certain cam.

I ended up with a custom blend of a super spartan and crazy jay on a 114lsa to compliment my heads and the intended 125shot for the track; couple that with my 2800 stall converter I should be seeing good power made across the board without putting major limits on my top end (peaks around 5800rpm)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great info guys sounds like i need to give him a call!! Im def ready for more power! (Tim Allen grunt)

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
make sure when you talk to him you also let him know what mods you have and what mods you want to get...he'll definitely get you a nice grind..

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
make sure when you talk to him you also let him know what mods you have and what mods you want to get...he'll definitely get you a nice grind..
Awesome yeah that sounds like what will make me the happiest! I think ima get it dyno tuned not use Diablo... I hear great things but i just can't see it being better than getting your truck dialed in exact. So for just a cam swap i need cam, 6.1 springs, and pushrods i think... Anything else besides seals i need to do or will that do me good?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Awesome yeah that sounds like what will make me the happiest! I think ima get it dyno tuned not use Diablo... I hear great things but i just can't see it being better than getting your truck dialed in exact. So for just a cam swap i need cam, 6.1 springs, and pushrods i think... Anything else besides seals i need to do or will that do me good?
Only way to custom tune your truck is through SCT and Diablosport CMR tuning. If you get it dyno tuned it will be excact just make sure the dyno shop you take it to can actually tune your truck cuz most dont have the Mopar CMR tuning from Diablo and even fewer have the SCT tunning... So in acctuallity you will be getting a diablo tune might as well get the tuner too... That is if the dyno you take it to can tune mopars...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay cool ill have to look more into that thanks

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Interia seems to be exactly what I have been looking for and missing around here. Looks like i could do some serious damage there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts