DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lookong to get me torque and horse power. So far i have installed a cold air intake, throttle body spacer, hyper chip, and better plugs and wires. Is there anything else i can do with out costing an arm and a leg and taking apart my engine? like pulleys, sensors, programs? Let me know cause id love to get some more power for towing my toys around. Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
There are programmers available for your 2003

Someone will tell you about it

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Exactly what type of creature is the hyper chip you mention? My guess would be there are gains to be had by switching to a more popular handheld tuner like a Superchips. According to their website the Superchips Flashpaq adds 21HP and 34TQ at 3300RPM at the wheels on your model.....not too bad. Of course, that's the 91 octane tune so you would have to run at least 91 octane fuel if you aren't already and I don't believe it is recommended that you tow with this tune installed. The same tuner can also be set to a tow tune for your truck but I don't know how much of a difference it would make because the tuner cannot make transmission and shift adjustments to your model year.

Also, you didn't mention exhaust. Surely you haven't done all that and have a stock exhaust?? I highly recommend Magnaflow. Sounds great in my opinion and I noticed a very slight (but still noticed) increase in low end power and MPG by switching from a Flowmaster Super 44 to the Magnaflow 18" oval on my old 2006 4.7L.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
GEARS (4.10-4.56, if you already have 3.92's, then 4.56)
Torque converter
03's can be custom tuned to a point, but you can't take advantage of wilder cam profiles

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
ditch the tb spacer, does nothing for the hemi, do 180 tstat, get a real programmer. consider an efan, summit c2516 ud pulley... an most definitely gears,,

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
it's cheap, helps with detonation issues but will use a little more gas... a requirement when you get into the deep mods...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I have not done anything to the exhaust as of yet. The hyper chip is a canadian version of the super chip i guess. Its was the only thing available in 04 when i did the modification. I had a cold air intake but found that the gas milage was much worse and it was a pain to clean the filter where they had it located. I just rebuild my rear end last week. All my clutches wee gone, retainers broken and groving the inside of the rear end and i also needed to buy a new possi. I do tow a lot as i have a cabin up country and the hills are pretty steep and severe. I will consider the thermostate though. What pulleys would i be replacing and what is an EFAN? Sorry if they are stupid questions.

·
Registered
81 Posts
EFAN is an electric fan. If you want more tuning option, you can swap in an 05 pcm, and get the predator or superchips. Then you can tune the transmission through either of them, and take advantage of any cam profile you like. Just saying.

- Christopher

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
EFAN is an electric fan. If you want more tuning option, you can swap in an 05 pcm, and get the predator or superchips. Then you can tune the transmission through either of them, and take advantage of any cam profile you like. Just saying.

- Christopher
A little more involved than he makes it sound. If you are comfortable possibly tearing your harness all apart to do it and it isn't your daily driver, then it's easy. Once it's done though, your 2003 becomes in essence a 2005 and you can take advantage of all the stuff they get that we don't.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah, sorry. It is a little more involved than that because I would assume you have to wire the tcm into the pcm on that model, but I was just putting that out there that is was possible. I have considered it on mine, but have recently started back modding the car, so I have left the truck alone for now. Didn't mean to mislead anyone, but there you go. Sorry.

- Christopher

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its all good guys. I would of thought it was a simple unplug and plug in type deal. Does anyone how a step by step guide to doing the job or any pictures as a guide?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts