DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stock 2010 5.7 140,000 miles new coil packs and iridium plugs.
Stumbles upon light load or acceleration. Downshfts and runs fine.
Graph on scantool shows timing at 4 deg BTDC and dips to 2 deg ATDC with light load at 1500 rpm stumbling down the road. Cruising is around 20 deg BTDC. Downshift to 2500 jumps to 24-30 deg under load. Checked vacuum manually and is steady and smooth. Replaced MAP sensor and both knock sensors anyway. Removed and cleaned throttle valve and noticed oil puddles in the plenum. Installed oil mist separator.
Replaced upstream O2 sensors. Then got smart and got a scantool.
NO CODES at all during the months this has been going on. Even with 2 plugs per cylinder, I can't see how this engine will run right at 4 deg BTDC.

Anyone out there got the smarts to fix this dang truck?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
20 degrees is a lot; the PCM controls timing advance/retardation based on input from the knock sensors. If your knock sensors are ok (you should be able to tell if your scanner tells you KR) then you may have carbon fouling making it necessary to pull that much timing, or perhaps your timing chain/tensioners are stretched (prob not at 140k) and/or worn (maybe, they are made of plastic).

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Are the new coil packs the correct ones for iridium plugs. ?

I do know that the early 4th Gen 5.7L didn't come with iridium plugs & the ppl that installed them said that the HEMI ran like crap with them installed

The factory installed either NGKs or Champions

auto parts stores use the underlined #

NGK 92174 {#LZFR5C11}
Twin Spark System; Gap 0.044"; Actual OE Part

CHAMPION 446 {#REC12MCC4} Copper Plus Info
2 PLUGS/CYLINDER; Gap .044; OE Type

more plugs & information
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...park+plug,7212?a=Referer+www.google.com+URL+/

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I have a 2011 2500 with the 5.7 giving the same problem. I dont have iridium plugs, and I'm at my wits end with this thing. Have you had any success with it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I have a 2011 2500 with the 5.7 giving the same problem. I dont have iridium plugs, and I'm at my wits end with this thing. Have you had any success with it?
o2 sensors I’m having same problem and I have a scanner and it’s saying o2 sensor and a bunch of other bullshit

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having problems with my 2013 ram 5.7 hemi. I had to replace my cam and lifters do to defective lifter which cause a constant misfire in cylinder 8. And now it's making a knockin sound. Knock sensors have been replaced and Rod bearings were defective as well. But yet the knock continues. I'm assuming spark knock but the check engine light doesn't light up. I replaced the broken exhaust bolts and manifold. I also changed the rubber gaskets on the intake manifold since the knocking sound seemed to be coming from the intake manifold. And still all I hear is knocking the second I turn the truck on. Constant knocking. I'm in need of some help. Can anyone help me concur this problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having problems with my 2013 ram 5.7 hemi. I had to replace my cam and lifters do to defective lifter which cause a constant misfire in cylinder 8. And now it's making a knockin sound. Knock sensors have been replaced and Rod bearings were defective as well. But yet the knock continues. I'm assuming spark knock but the check engine light doesn't light up. I replaced the broken exhaust bolts and manifold. I also changed the rubber gaskets on the intake manifold since the knocking sound seemed to be coming from the intake manifold. And still all I hear is knocking the second I turn the truck on. Constant knocking. I'm in need of some help. Can anyone help me concur this problem?
Could be wrist pin slap. Knock sensors will pick that up, and retard the timing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In my case, it turned out to be over-tightened knock sensors. I loosened them both and re-torqued them to 14 ft-lbs. Problem solved...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts