DODGE RAM FORUM banner

181 - 200 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Was talking with my go to mechanic friend the other day about OCIs and as an aside he mentioned that he recommends that the fuel filter needs be changed on a regular basis. I acknowledged that fact but neglected to mention that it had been more than a little while since I had changed mine. I'm not even going to make a guess on the interval but here's a pic:

Both filters are Baldwin PF 7977s. I guess it's pretty clear that an R & R was indicated:158:. For some reason or another I couldn't exactly remember when I replaced the last filter but was pretty sure it needed to be done! As many know, it's not too tough of a DIY job but a shorter 1/2" drive ratchet would have been helpful. I did watch a couple of YT videos to make sure that I didn't miss anything. One vid, by a backyard mechanic, mentioned using a 1 1/8" socket for the "nut" on the top of the filter cover. Another vid, by a professional "appearing" mechanic said that the "nut" was 29mm. I believe that the 1 1/8" socket would be a better fit than the 29mm. The 29mm socket is about 1/2mm larger than a 1 1/8" socket. Just sayin' :i_rolleyes:.
Flex

·
Registered
56 Posts
got the drag link safety recall repaired and oil changed today
I didn't realize that there was a fix for the drag link safety recall. My recall notice said "The remedy for this condition is not currently available." I guess I will have to investigate this with my current RAM dealer and see if they can get this fixed.

This drag link may already have been come loose on my truck at one time as my steering wheel ended up in the 1:00/2:00 position for me to drive straight. I took it to a local repair shop (non RAM dealer) for an alignment and they told me that that jam nuts were loose so they gave the truck an alignment and tightened up the jam nuts when the steering wheel was put in the correct position. It's been OK for the past 2 years since that fix was done.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I didn't realize that there was a fix for the drag link safety recall. My recall notice said "The remedy for this condition is not currently available." I guess I will have to investigate this with my current RAM dealer and see if they can get this fixed.
I just had my rig in for three recalls today...one of which was the drag link. I declined their "fix". Their fix is to weld the jam nuts to the sleeve. Dumb. I'm going to keep an eye on it...probably throw some thread lock on it at some point.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Add RC Stearing brace

My son, 15 years old, did all the "heavy lifting" and I supervised. :)

Hardest part was finding the correct sockets and then getting the bar to fit correctly. Had to loosen everything and re-tighten. Seems to really help the dead play in the steering wheel, but the truck still tends to wander on the road. Not sure if i should replace the steering damper next.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I just had my rig in for three recalls today...one of which was the drag link. I declined their "fix". Their fix is to weld the jam nuts to the sleeve. Dumb. I'm going to keep an eye on it...probably throw some thread lock on it at some point.
its just a tac weld that is easily ground off so you can still adjust the drag link from a day of wheeling or if you lift the truck. it's not a permanent fix either. i'm told that Ram intends to offer a new drag link in the future.

far as what i did with mine today... i washed it and stared at it for a while. i can't wait to hook the camper back up to it and head to Tennessee... one more week.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What I did

Not today, but within the last 2 months (because of a busy schedule) I replaced the cam and lifters with non MDS.

Started out with a self diagnosed bad lifter, narrowed it down to the driver's side bank. Did some research and opted to replace them all and the cam with non MDS. I further decided to save a bunch of money and do it myself (couldn't be to difficult, I did do my wife's old Avalanche without too many problems, besides a stripped head bolt hole...) When I inspected the lifters, the culprit was the last lifter on cylinder #7, collapsed. Got everything tore down in a few days and then had to leave for a 4 day work conference and then our 20th wedding anniversary trip. A couple days after I got back I started to put the thing back together. This was all a PITA because my garage is only 24 X 24 and I had to push/pull the damn thing part way out and back in each time plus the fact I only had an hour here or 2 hours there to do the work. Finally got it put back together to find out that the damn timing was off!

I decided that I WAS NOT going to eff around with this any longer because; 1. I had to leave again for 2 more conferences. 2. Climbing up and over and laying on concrete and all that crap was wreaking havoc on my already herniated discs. 3. I was drinking entirely to much beer...

A friend of mine owns a shop and has all the tools (some that he let me use during this fiasco) and employees who do this stuff every day. Plus, at this point it made more sense to me to spend a little extra money to have less frustration and save my liver a little. They were extremely busy and said it would be a couple weeks before they could get to it, which didn't matter to me, because my liver needed a break anyway.

They got the timing re-set and all that and I picked it up a few days ago. But, during the process at my house, I dropped the damn fan clutch and had to order a new one, and opted to go with the cheaper priced. Now this damn thing runs constantly and is quite annoying! That and now I need to replace the intake short running valve, because when I accelerate hard she spits and sputters and throws a code for that (verified by my friend and his high tech Snap-On equipment).

A couple things I wish I'd have done.... Just replaced the lifters on the drivers side with OEM (which were on national back order), would have been SOOO much easier or Just bit the bullet and paid my buddy to do the job to begin with.

On the plus side... the mechanic that re-set the timing said he got to work on his first 6.4 hemi, glad I could be of assistance..

My biggest question on all of this....Why the hell is there an EGR cooler on the 6.4???

Screw my liver, I let someone borrow my ladder jacks and walk plank a while back, they brought it back 2 days ago and gave me a case of Coors Light, I gotta make room in the beer fridge for it, which means drinking what's in there first.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
starting to load it up for the trip to Tennessee. can't wait for Friday... :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
unpacked it and washed it. i still have bugs all over it. :doh:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wished I could drive it, as I am several thousand miles away....... in China, even if I had her, she would not ever fit here, even in a parking spot...

Just gotta wait till Tuesday...

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
put a yakima rack on the topper shell.
KBKzpvJbQJCfbE+td4T3Gw.jpg

Reactions: Ridin' High

·
Registered
52 Posts
I replaced all 4 brakes including the parking brake shoes on my 2015 Limited 2500 with 35000 miles on the clock. The underneath of my truck looks like I park it in the ocean. I can't believe the amount of rust at every seam and rust is why I had to change the brakes. They were frozen and rusted to the point the pads were coming apart. The lining fell off the parking brake shoes due to rust. I have a lot of work to do.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Well today I took the truck in for the latest two recalls. (drag link and tailgate) I thought I ONLY had 13 or 14 recalls to date. I decided to find out for sure so I asked the service tech to print out all my service records. Seems I under estimated and the total recalls are 16. BEAT THAT!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Never even seen mine in person yet. Nother week at sea, then I get to "get aquainted".
Same here. Ordered mine 6 weeks ago and left for work, then work got busy and my trip got extended. Not gonna get home until around February when I can finally pick up m,y new RAM.

181 - 200 of 227 Posts