DODGE RAM FORUM banner

7301 - 7320 of 7330 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 Ram 1500 Express ST | 5.7 Hemi | 6-speed Auto.Trans.| Crew Cab | 4WD
12 Posts
What model of springs did you use? I’ve got their 1223’s in my truck. They’re much better then the stock ones.

You trailer your car to shows? 😱 You could take it to Hot August Nights if things will allow it in August.
Hey, NevadaMike. I installed the 1211's. Their supposed to be designed for towing, apparently they're designed pretty good. I haven't noticed a change in the truck's ride while unloaded. The ride height did raise by an inch in the rear, but it's hardly noticeable.

Yeah, I trailer my cars when I have to go long distances. One of the reasons is the availability of fuel, aviation fuel, that is. It has no ethanol, about 100-octane, and it has lead. The old V8's love the lead. Smells great, too. A buddy of mine from church who has an airplane gave me the gate code at the local airfield. I can pull right up to the pump and fill 'er up. Pricey, though. Before the crash in oil prices, it was $5.15 per gallon. I haven't checked their price yet this spring.

Tell me about Hot August Nights. My August is open so far (I like to go somewhere each month during the fair weather). Is there a website I can read?

Keep on truckin'.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When tetraethyllead was first introduced 100 years ago the General Motors engineers in their testing found that this additive to reduce pre-ignition was killing the engines. The head of GM, Sloan, said it did not matter as GM owned the patent and was going to make a lot of money from royalty payments by the oil companies.

After TEL was removed from gasoline to protect catalytic converters two things happened. First change was that engines lasted much longer. It is now common to have a car engine last for more than 300,000 miles but in the leaded gas days an engine that lasted for 100,000 miles was not at all common.

Second thing was a downward trend in crime as the leaded gas fumes were damaging the brains of children and these children were more likely to commit crimes. Lots of politicians were bragging wrongly that their "tough on crime" that put millions of people of color into prisons was the reason why but scientists were able to easily prove that the crime statistics correlated to areas with large amounts of auto and truck traffic and so lots of lead exposure to the exhaust fumes.

·
Super Moderator
34,648 Posts
Got it washed and waxed last night after work. Just in time for a wind, flood, and hail advisory today

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks to YouTube and all of the comments that members here have posted, I changed the front and rear shocks in my 2015 1500 RCLB Big Horn. While doing the rears, I also swapped out the factory springs for the TTC-1223V variable rate springs. Total cost for the springs and Bilstein 4600s all around was just under $500, and the labor was just over 2.5 hours. I am not really mechanical and it was really easy!

Sometime in the next week my Katzkin Saddleback seats will be installed. Life is good!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Continued to work on my rear parking brake repairs. The parking brake pedal was not fully returning home due to a common problem with the lever in the parking brake assembly seizes up and will not fully return. Probably more common in the snow belt areas. The person who designed this assembly should be shot and pissed on for not leaving any room to r&r this assembly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Took my sweet time baking in the sun and cleaned my throttle body (wasnt even close to dirty at 41k but went over it anyway) and finished installing the last led light strip under my passenger seat. All internal lighting is now led including the footwells forward that I added!

Got some pics of the rear also, all lighting aft is led now I'm just waiting for my fronts!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,403 Posts
Finally got a nice day. Detailed my RAM inside and out.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Continued to work on my rear parking brake repairs. The parking brake pedal was not fully returning home due to a common problem with the lever in the parking brake assembly seizes up and will not fully return. Probably more common in the snow belt areas. The person who designed this assembly should be shot and pissed on for not leaving any room to r&r this assembly.
[/LMAO

·
Premium Member
2013 Ram 1500 Express ST | 5.7 Hemi | 6-speed Auto.Trans.| Crew Cab | 4WD
12 Posts
What model of springs did you use? I’ve got their 1223’s in my truck. They’re much better then the stock ones.

You trailer your car to shows? 😱 You could take it to Hot August Nights if things will allow it in August.
NevadaMike: I thought I replied to your reply, buy I don't see it here. I installed TufTruck's 1211 springs, the ones designed for towing. They're doing great; I can't notice any change in ride comfort. They raised the height of the rear of the truck by just 1 inch.

I drive my antique car a lot, but I do tow it to shows that are a long distance away, mainly because of fuel availability. I use aviation fuel (avgas) for its high octane and lead. I checked into Hot August Nights online. Yeah, that's a long distance away; I live in West Virginia! But, I'm retired now, so it could happen. I would make a long holiday of the trip, stopping at shows along the way to and from Reno. I'll drop you a note here if I actually do it.

·
Super Moderator
34,648 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Big Horn 4x4 Crew Cab with 5.7L Hemi
24 Posts
Believe it or not I wasn't on the bump stops and actually the ride was not bad at all. The steering however did feel a little "loose" with the front end unloaded. I just took it slow and easy for the 10 mile drive home.

Not to get too far off subject but I have been a GM guy my whole life and this is my first non GM vehicle ever. I have to say that I am very impressed with the build quality, ride, power, payload & towing capabilities of this truck. I will definitely buy another one when it is time for a replacement.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Finally got my headlights and front turn signals replaced with led last night! Using the H11-HLV4 from superbright. Fantastically bright. Cant even tell the high beams are on with those lol.

Only problem was during installation as I couldnt get the dust caps back on. Any suggestions about that one?

I'll post a review in a few weeks after I've had time to enjoy them.

Also I found this 2 pin connection hanging just on the passenger side of life behind the grill. Any idea what it might be for?

Attachments

7301 - 7320 of 7330 Posts