DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have a half a ton of tools that ride along with me. I guess it puts me in some kinda comfort zone,,, Well maybe not over 200 lbs,,,

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'll bite, a little late........My pride as a young mechanic in Montana was if it could be fixed on the side of the road, I probably had the tools to do it. Think about trucks in the early 80's, a (really f***in' heavy) handbox could hold pretty much all you needed. All the normal stuff, plus sockets big enough to pull the yoke off a transfer case to change a seal, couple of 4x4 front spindle sockets, pry bars, files to dress down a spun bearing trailer spindle, little selection of nuts/bolts, throttle return spring, tire patches, simple electrical repair kit. On the side, aluminum pipe wrench for bigger stuff, chain wrench, MAPP gas torch, small sledge with a blade welded to it break a tire bead and add/change/fix a tube. Highest quality I could afford. Proto from the parts house, SnapOn off the truck, American made quality anything from the pawnshop/flea market at like .15-.25 on the dollar, back when that was possible. KoreanWar vintage trenching shovel, Christmas gift from a 6 year old, maybe 5 bucks at a garage sale. Dug my truck out twice, way, way off road, more than paid for, memory of that child, priceless.
Nothing has changed. That old handbox is long gone, putos stole it, took awhile to build it back. A box of V10 specific parts, come along/chains/straps/farmer jack, air. Cell booster, solar panel, second battery. Hammock, backpack, fishing rod. I carry enough to fix/unstick myself from just about anything, take the long way home, try to rely on no one.

·
Registered
756 Posts
LOL we have had a thread like this over on a motorcycle forum. Some guys still carry tools like they had the old HD or Jap bikes. Most of have figured out if its much past plugging a tire, you will need a tow. So basic couple tools on the bike 10 thru 14mm wreches, my leatherman tool some zip ties and a credit card and cell phone.

·
Registered
129 Posts
An 8800GVW 3/4 ton 4x4 that can be fixed on the side of the road almost as easily as a points/carbureted PowerWagon is exactly why I drive an OBDI '95 2500 most of the time my friend....with a booster and laptop aircard of course.....if I have cell service, I have internet...and many places out west, I have cell service. All the above, 5000.00USD, a passport, and a SIG P226 .40, not too many situations that cannot be handled .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts