DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got our Shasta Revere 21FBS LE today. What a pain to get the Reese Dual cam WD hooked up. Due to the huge A frame, angle just wasn't working out. Looks like they have it set up right but on the last chain link. Are your TT's A frames as thick as mine?
First tow ever, so not sure how it's supposed to feel like. The anti sway is not installed yet. Feels ok to tow, straight line but should i feel the truck pulling back and forth with trailer like tug of war? Or like someome giving gas and letting and giving gas and letting go. Not too pronounced bu feeling it. Is that normal?
Also, should i press the tow/haul button on dodge ram?

TT GVWR 7650
hitch weight 750
installed Reese Dual Cam HP - waiting on sway control part for install

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Just got our Shasta Revere 21FBS LE today. What a pain to get the Reese Dual cam WD hooked up. Due to the huge A frame, angle just wasn't working out. Looks like they have it set up right but on the last chain link. Are your TT's A frames as thick as mine?
First tow ever, so not sure how it's supposed to feel like. The anti sway is not installed yet. Feels ok to tow, straight line but should i feel the truck pulling back and forth with trailer like tug of war? Or like someome giving gas and letting and giving gas and letting go. Not too pronounced bu feeling it. Is that normal?
Also, should i press the tow/haul button on dodge ram?

TT GVWR 7650
hitch weight 750
installed Reese Dual Cam HP - waiting on sway control part for install
The last chain link seems wrong. With my equalizer hitch I have it set with 7 links hanging leaving 4 links between the bar and the connection at the frame. Yes that feeling is normal however I reduced it drastically by tightening up or going another link tighter on the equalizer. Once I did that she hardly bounced at all.
I only run tow/haul mode in the hills, if I'm running on long flat stretches of highway I'll leave her alone. If you find she is hunting for a gear run in tow/haul.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ball was angled at 15 degrees as per instructions at first but we couldn't even get the bar up to the first link. So the angle was changed to accomodate for TT 6inch A frame
Both trailer and truck look really gpod, nice and straight.
The tech installing the hitch phoned Reese and they offered a different system to bolt on A frame but also said the chain on last link was ok with mu configuration. Problem is the chucking rocking horse motion while driving. I have the 800 lbs bars, and tongue weight is 750 lbs on trailer. What if i go to 1000 lbs? Any drawback from that?

Here is my set up
2012 Shast Revere 21 FBS LE (Forest River)
Hitch Weight 750 lbs.
Ship Weight 5,370 lbs.
GVWR 7,650 lbs.
2010 Ram 4X4 Quad Cab, HEMI,

P275/60R20 5.7L V8 (EZH) 545RFE (DGQ) AXLE RATIO: 3.55 GVWR: 6,700 PAYLOAD: 1,310 BASE WEIGHT: 5,362 FRONT: 3,113 REAR: 2,249 GAWR FRONT3,900 REAR 3,900 GCWR: 14,000 MAX TRAILER: 8,450
Class IV hitch 1045 lbs max tongue weight

G

·
Yes, use your Tow/Haul system when towing (where you have hills, mountains, up and down elevation changes) but you won't need it on a relatively flat tow.

The push/pull you are experiencing is caused by two things...bumps/dips in the road that unload then load the hitch bar as the trailer moves and the shifting of your transmission when in O/D.

The weight distribution hitch and anti-sway bar together will dampen the up and down load and unload action. Using Tow/Haul mode will cut down on the frequency of the transmission shifting in and out of full O/D.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, use your Tow/Haul system when towing (where you have hills, mountains, up and down elevation changes) but you won't need it on a relatively flat tow.

The push/pull you are experiencing is caused by two things...bumps/dips in the road that unload then load the hitch bar as the trailer moves and the shifting of your transmission when in O/D.

The weight distribution hitch and anti-sway bar together will dampen the up and down load and unload action. Using Tow/Haul mode will cut down on the frequency of the transmission shifting in and out of full O/D.
Fantastic explanation :) now it makes sense
Do you think I should go for the 1000 lbs?

Thanks you all so much for your help you guys are THE Best

·
Banned
166 Posts
What you're feeling is normal. I have a 30 foot 7000 trailer and it does the same thing - even in Tow/Haul.

I'd go with the 1200 lb bars - that's what I have and they work well.

I have 5 links from trunion to hook - but as long as the bars are parallel to the trailer frame when loaded it will be fine.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bars are parallel to the frame and the chains are vertically parallel to the ground

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What you're feeling is normal. I have a 30 foot 7000 trailer and it does the same thing - even in Tow/Haul.

I'd go with the 1200 lb bars - that's what I have and they work well.

I have 5 links from trunion to hook - but as long as the bars are parallel to the trailer frame when loaded it will be fine.
is there a downside to using the 1200 lbs bars compared to the 800?
I have a hard time connecting the 800 to the very first link because the trailer A frame is 6 inch and the hitch mount is underneath so it makes for a much longer space between the bar to the hook thingy.
Would I be able to use the 1200 lbs if it's stiffer?

·
Banned
166 Posts
If I understand what you are saying, then when the weight of the trailer is on your truck it's so low the bars are pointed down and you are having issues attaching the chain?

If that's the case, either add some air bags so the truck doesn't sag as much, or attach the bars before completely dropping the trailer off the jack.

Can you post a picture with the trailer attached and full tongue weight on the truck - before you connect the bars? Maybe the shank is dropped too much?

·
Banned
166 Posts
And to answer your question on bar spring load - there should be no difference in how the 1200 lb bar connects and it's position in comparison to the 800 lb bar. It simply allows you to put a little more force on the truck and give you a stiffer resistance at the hitch.

·
Registered
194 Posts
is there a downside to using the 1200 lbs bars compared to the 800?
I have a hard time connecting the 800 to the very first link because the trailer A frame is 6 inch and the hitch mount is underneath so it makes for a much longer space between the bar to the hook thingy.
Would I be able to use the 1200 lbs if it's stiffer?

Be careful putting too much tension on the WD system with too large bars, you CAN bend the trailer frame, and they will also stiffen up the ride.

You can also make it easier to install the bars and get the chains on them
by using the jack on your trailer to raise the ball height. Many people
don't even bother with the "pipe", and jack up their trailer to hook and unhook the chains, especially if you have an electric jack. It's also a good way to check positive connection with the ball.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's the only way I can connect the chains up (by raising the jack. Before readjusting the ball angle, we had to place a block underneath the jack to raise it high enough. it also raises the truck pretty hight. I think it should be easier than that but it's the set up of the 6 inch A frame and under the frame ball coupler relationship. I still need to use the pipe to put it on but it's ok.
So I called Reese today and was told to go ahead and use the 1200 lbs bars as the 800 lbs won't distribute the weight once I load the trailer. the trailer tongue weight is 750. Told me the only drawback from using the 1200 bars would be a stiffer ride.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ended up with the 800 lbs trunion bars
the tech installing it ordered me the 1200 lbs but thought it would be overkill
tongue weight on trailer is 750 lbs dry so I was concerned but as it is now, I don't plan on adding much more than what is already in the trailer.
The truck and trailer sit nice and level, measurements on front wheels are the same as without attached trailer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have found when fighting a trailer loading up hitch weight works assuming all other things are taken care of ie air pressures. Have noticed this towing cars. Start fighting trailer, stop, move car up 6 inches, seems to do trick.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts