DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the electronic key ignition and I need to make sure that my radar detector does not come on until I turn on the ignition.

The problem is that if I remote start the truck, with the radar detector connected to start up power, the initialization tones of the radar detector trigger the glass sensors on my alarm, which shuts down the engine and sounds the alarm, thus defeating the whole idea of remote start.

The easy solution is to plug the radar detector into a circuit that does not get power till the key is in the ignition and turned. That way, the radar detector won't come on till after the glass sensor is disabled.

As it is, I have to unplug the radar detector, when I get out of the truck and then remember to plug it back in, after I get back in. It's the second part of that statement that is causing me problems. I often forget to plug in the radar detector, till I've been on the road for some time.

Can someone tell me if there is a circuit in a 2018 Ram 1500, with electronic key, that does NOT get power till the key is in the ignition and turned?

·
Super Moderator
34,458 Posts
Pretty sure the 12V in the front console is only hot when the truck is on. A lot of dudes wire their dashcams through it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want a circuit that is hot any time the engine is running. It must be hot only AFTER I put the key fob in the ignition and turn it.

With my alarm, the alarm remains activated after the engine starts and until I disable it, to enter the truck. That means that the glass sensors are active, when I remote start the truck. If the radar detector comes on with remote start, before I disable the alarm to get in, the radar detector sets off the alarm and kills the engine. That's why I need to have the radar detector on a circuit that is active only AFTER the key fob is in the ignition and turned to the run position.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't want a circuit that is hot any time the engine is running. It must be hot only AFTER I put the key fob in the ignition and turn it.
I don't think there is such a circuit. Best way to find out is after you remote start, get in the truck and see if there is any component that is not working but would be working after the key is turned on.

The best solution may be to wire your radar detector with an on/off switch.

Good luck - let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Yes, since you're asking an elementary electrical question I recommend using an external switch as well so nothing gets damaged or hurt.

If you have an electrical schematic or multi-meter it can be done, but I'm not going to do your homework.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions.

The radar detector has an on/off switch. The problem is that for way too many years, my radar detector has come on with the ignition, so I forget to turn it on, till I'm 5 miles down the road.

I suppose that I'm going to have to do a remote start, with the hood alarm shunted. That way, I can use my VOM to determine which circuits are not yet hot. Then I'll unlock the truck, put the keyfob in the ignition and turn it, and go back to see if any of those inactive circuits have become active.

I was just hoping that someone else had already encountered this issue. I suppose I'm the first, so I'll have to stop being lazy. Bummer… I was so enjoying goofing off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts