DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a new 2014 Ram 2500 SLT four door 4X4 Diesel six speed diesel. I think they all come with the 342 gear. I also have a 27 foot travel trailer aprx 8000 lbs. My question starts with when not towing I average around 25MPG. When towing at highway speeds 70MPH while on flat land with cruise and tow/haul button on with exhaust brake on. It feels sluggish, Motor running at 1500 RPM's. It has plenty of power but just seems to run better if I put it in 5th gear, motor at around 1800 RPM's. Mileage drops to around 13 MPG. Trailer is 11'5" feet tall. What gear should I be towing in and should I be using the cruise control? Also does the mileage sound correct. BTW I am a newbe to this site although I have driven many Dodge diesels towing horse trailers. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I'd try towing a bit slower maybe 65 as long as your not holding up traffic. I'd then trust Tow/Haul mode. I recently towed a very heavy load on a big 5th wheel flatbed trailer behind my hemi, probably 15,000 lbs. Put it on cruise control between 60 and 65 mph, towed about 150 miles and got 12.9 mpg. Unloaded and picked up a lighter load, maybe only 8,000 lbs. As it was getting late and speed limit was 75 mph, I ran between 75 and 80 all the way back, 9.9 mpg! Speed seems to hurt mpgs a lot!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts