DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

What is the difference between 4WD Lock and 4WD High in terms of mechanism? I have 2014 Ram 1500 ST Express (I think), since I ran the VIN decoder and figured out the trim and some specs/features. Since I live in Korea, it's difficult to figure out and gather information about pickup trucks.

My truck has the rotary knob gear selector and part time 4x4 buttons underneath; 2WD, 4WD Lock and 4WD Low, while I saw some other trucks have 2WD, 4WD High and 4WD Low in Youtube. She doesn't have the axle lock button or any other buttons other than traction control off button. I watch tons of Youtube videos about them, but no clear answer yet only found general description like this,
, which says to give additional traction for loose, slippery road surface. The videos say the same thing; extra traction for both 4WD High and 4WD Lock.

Is 4WD High still open rear diff while 4WD Lock offers rear diff lock or some center diff lock? My truck may have "Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle" but I'm not sure... even I don't know the exact meaning of "Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle". Is it real diff lock or LSD? I wish I could lift the truck to turn the wheel freely, even to figure out the axle ratio 3.21 or 3.92.. But, there is no big lift around me.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
2WD is rear wheels driving.
4WD lock means front and rear wheels driving (4WD) in high range.
4WD LOW of course is 4WD but in low range.
Anti spin differential is the Ram terminology for what others call a "limited slip diff)
If I remember correctly the diff ratio is marked on the door pillar as well as on the diff itself.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
386 Posts
What is the difference between 4WD Lock and 4WD High in terms of mechanism?
They are the same, just different terminology depending on what year truck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys... with this thread, and lots of youtubes... I finally understood of all locking diff and LSD stuff of Ram. Which trucks are equipped or not.

·
Registered
160 Posts
You've got the most desired transfer case for offroading BW 44-45 with no clutches to burn down. 4wd lock is the same as 4wd hi since you're using the 1:1 relation of the TC. 4lo uses 2.72:1 in our case.

Reactions: John Jensen
1 - 5 of 5 Posts