DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I have a question,
For some months now Ive noticed that everytime i start my truck i hear this clicking(pinging, tapping, etc but not as loud as a piston knock) noise coming from the driver side near the manifold. Ive taken it to two different shops (one was a service shop and the other a muffler shop) and was told that it was either A) my exhaust manifold gasket is gone or B) the oil pressure is off because at start up the rpm's will struggle to get to even 700-800. The weird thing is as the engine warms up from driving around a bit the noise goes away. I have a CAI and an exhaust kit but the noise was being heard before those were installed. Any and all help is appreciated!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have the exact same problem but some times when it warms up i can still bearly here the clicking and it is mostly under medium acseleration

·
Registered
34 Posts
well they can ping some when first start up. oil needs to circulate. when its cold out they can do it worse oil is thicker. but then again this newer fuel with 10% ethynol. it has changed alot of things. killer on small engines and im sure its hard on older things. but the oil weight could be wrong from oil change. most places think 10w30 is fine in all. but its not. gotta make sure you use right oil weight and at right times.
but also looking at what motor you have in heavy trk everyone i drove in the rams around here with 4.7 has pinged . epecially with a trailer and trk behind them.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have had the same noise out of my 4.7 since I bought it almost 3 years ago. It doesnt seem to cause any harm though. Ive searched on it as well and it seems that a lot of trucks do it but no one really seemed to know what it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 04 1500 with the 4.7 has just over 100,000. when I bought it at 80,000 it was quiet as a church mouse. Around 90,000 it started ticking when I would fire her up, but the noise would go away after 10-15 seconds. I had been using Baldwin oil filters on it since I have great luck with them in my shop. I switched to a Wix filter one day because they didn't have the Baldwin in the parts place and found the ticking, while still there, didn't last as long on a cold start. I run a semi-synthetic 5W30 and I'm now sold on Wix filters :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
My truck makes an awkward tick/click sound that comes from under the dash somewhere while the truck is colder. It doesn't come from the engine bay at all. Had my dealer look into it and they said it was my exhaust coming loose, so they tightened it. Never went away. They told me to turn the heater off until the truck warmed up to see if that was it; that too was a no go. Still haven't figured it out, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything, so I just live with it. These trucks do seem to make some weird noises.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Many 4.7L's make a tapping noise upon cold start. It is due to the valve lash adjusters (lifters basically) not being primed with oil at cold start, and they have not adjusted yet. It should go away once the engine is warm, and after a few minutes of driving. Usually this is not any sort of problem. If the noise doesn't go away or is excessive (ie you can hear it over your blasting radio or something) then you may have a collapsed lash adjuster or just too much clearance and it might need shimmed.

My truck does it sometimes, usually it goes away after a minute though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Before you spend too much time and money on it I'd double check and make sure you have the right oil weight in there, might be too heavy. Also sometimes bad gas will make them ping like that as well. Or as stated above valve lash lifters

1 - 8 of 8 Posts