Registered
22,788 Posts

·
Registered
22,788 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
egr, it allows exhaust back into your intake. its connected to the egr valve which usually goes bad and should be blown up cause i believe it does more harm then good
LOL, spoken like a true non-mechanic. You need to google emission gasses and the you might learn that the EGR helps control the deadlest of the 5 gasses in the exhaust process.

·
Registered
247 Posts
LOL, spoken like a true non-mechanic. You need to google emission gasses and the you might learn that the EGR helps control the deadlest of the 5 gasses in the exhaust process.
true non mechanic???? 10 years working on cars and 50 grand in tools, pretty much a master tech, only missing the automatic and manual tranmission cert. manager and lead tech in the garage i work at. and im non mechanic, then i would like to meet a true mechanic, cause last i check i have a really good rep. in my general area and fix problems that other garages didnt want to deal with or couldnt figure out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
egr are valve are put on cars that arent properly designed to help with emission, a car with a good convertors and proper timing, perfect air fuel ration with a mass air flow sensor dont need egr valve or systems, built plenty of 5.0 mustang engines with 400 hps with egr deleted off them pass ct emission with almost strict emission laws as california. it allows hydro carbons back into the intake system which also turns into a gum/varnish that cakes up the inside of an engine, valves on top of pistions, found sea foam spray is the only way to help break this stuff up and blow it out the exhaust

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so deleting this will not hurt anything? I should not get any codes??? great info and thanks for the responses as well

·
Registered
247 Posts
oh the minute you unplug bam check engine light, probably a code for egr shorted open, the auto manufactor got us by the BALLS, THE MOTHER F-ING BALLS when it comes to engine something that robs us of engine power that will coat your insides like a cancerous tar. sorry dude you must keep for epa reasons

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I don't have to pass any inspections... they have block off kits..... $30 bucks and I have a tuner to disable it so no codes plus better efficiency and no gunk in the intake manifold.....seems like a no brainer

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can run a egr block off kit. There are even ways to disable the egr from the computer so no engine light in some cases.
thats what I'm saying......and no gunk in the intake manifold:smileup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
It is apparent that the L1 cert has not been taken or passed. For those who would like to understand the EGR system, a couple of links for you to read.

Back in the early 70's when vehicles were just starting to get the emissions treatment and the engines had vacuum tubes running all over the place and the engineers did not really know about making emission systems work properly, work sheets and booklets were made available telling techs on how to disable the systems. In fact, some of the Snap-on dealers sold some of these products under the table. Today, a different story. A lot has been learned and the different systems work together.

Started in this business back in 1971, took the ASE tests back when they first came out, have purchased more tools then I want to think about, was a business owner whose shop (25 years) was a vehicle inspection station and an emissions repair certification.

Hope the links below are informative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation
http://autorepair.about.com/od/glossary/gr/def_egr-valve.htm
http://www.innerauto.com/Auto_Part/EGR_Valve/

1 - 20 of 29 Posts