DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello , i have a 2006 dodge ram quad cab 4x4 5.7 hemi with a 3.92 lsd rearend. i was wondering if anybody timed there stock truck in a 1/4 mile and what times they got. also what can be expected for 1/4 mile times with minor mods such as a cortex programmer set on performance , k&n cold air intake system, and a 50 hd series muffler with all the resinators taken out of exhaust system. mine ran a 16.35 in a quater mile with those minor mods which seems like stock times to me . maybe im wrong and thats why i would appreciate some input on this thank-you. rob

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
What was the temperature outside? What elevation? DA (density altitude) play a role.

My friend had a 3rd gen qc hemi laramie with 3.92 and LSD, I don't remember what it ran stock, but with longtubes, magnaflow muffler, no cats, K&N intake, and superchips on the 91 tune it ran like 15.1 IIRC. Had 20" wheels.

I think he ran about a 16.0-16.5 stock. He was 2wd keep in mind.

That said I'd expect you to be a little quicker than what you posted with the tuner. The other mods don't do a whole lot really, the tuner should drop a few tenths off your 1/4 mile ET though. Are you spinning off the line? What size tires?

For reference, my 2010 qc 4.7L with drop in airraid filter, modular intake tube from airbox to TB, and flashpaq 93 tune runs high 15's with 3.55, open diff, and stock size but heavy AT tires.

I'd think you should be faster than me, even though you have a few more pounds on me, you probably have 25-50 hp on me as well, plus the gearing and traction advantage.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the thing is i do not know how accurate the 1/4 mile results are with superchips cortex feature where you can do 1/4 runs with the times . that is how i did mine with the programmer timming me. also the temp was in the 50's . i live in ct . i do have 20" wheels that came with the thunder road package on my truck. i did spin off the line but not much , i also had it in od off and switched it on like when truck shifted 3 times. i thought i should of had better times than a stock truck considering the mods i do have.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Oh gotcha, I've never used my SC to time my 1/4 mile. It's supposed to be pretty accurate...maybe I'll time mine with it this weekend.

Wow, especially in the 50's you should run about as quick as you could. Higher elevation makes you run slower.

My runs are normally in the 80s and 90s temp wise since I'm down here in FL, but I am at sea level...so that helps.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hemilonestar, i would be happy to see those numbers for the minor mods i have but for some reason i'm in the mid 16 range and cant understand why my numbers are like stock. when i do the 1/4 mile i tried it two ways . one with od off and then the other with it on . i do spin the tires "very short spin on tires" but i dont know if that would take a second off my time ? maybe i should not gun it and try to do it without tires spinning.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i just went out and tried to run another 1/4 mile and i was able to get it down to 15.99 . i tried to not let the tires spin as much but i didnt floor it either . i think a lot has to do with tire spin also

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Yes tire spin will hurt your time a lot. I ran a 21 something at the track my second run due to tire spin lol.

For reference, I talked to my friend tonight he said his old truck ran ~15.8 stock.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
Traction is a biggie. The SC timer sets as soon as you stop and and starts as soon as the PCM detects rear wheel movement from the speed sensor. I leave the OD off and load the converter while on the brakes. I floor it and let off at the same time. If I do this wrong the tires just spin. First time I tried it I got a 15-something.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
I do it just to make sure it doesn't try to shift into OD on me with my crap 2003 trans program. Once I change cams I'll have to shift it manually just to be able to go to redline.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i wonder if i switched from the 20 inch tires and rims to a 17 inch rim and tire if that would give me a better 1/4 mile time ? also is it hard to change out cams in our 5.7 hemis and would that make a difference in the performance just by putting a better cam?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
17" wheels typically are lighter than 20" wheels and will have you running a bit quicker. Yes cam can make a huge difference...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
is it hard to switch out the cam ? also how much would it would roughly cost to have a garage to install the cam?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I've never done it on the hemi, typically a pushrod v8 would take an average handy guy a day or two days. You normally have to pull off the radiator and anything else in the way in front of the engine to be able to slide the cam out and new cam in. Also requires some dismantling of the engine, all pretty straight forward though...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can't remember for sure but I want to say either 15.7's or 15.9's several runs in a row. Sea level. Had AEM intake and cat back though. I was surprised.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I haven't the slightest idea. My ram was stock for about 2 hours after I bought it. lol I had a superchips from my previous truck so as soon as I ran through the initial tank of gas and put premium in I did the 91 tune and two days later exhaust and intake showed up at the door.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
how come a dodge ram with a 5.7 hemi doesnt come with a standard tranny? would that be a benifit to the ram with performance if it did over an auto tranny ?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Because typically trucks are supposed to be for hauling/towing and auto's can pull a lot more than manuals...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts