DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at 43,000 miles so I'm past my warranty. It's been a good running truck with no major issues but all of the sudden little things are happening. The tailgate was one as it kept falling for no reason and an "adjustment" at the dealership seems to have fixed this and I know a recall has been announced since I had it fixed. But the shifter knob is acting up and needs replacing. I'll spin it to D and it locks the truck down and just flashes. I redo it and it runs fine. One of the front end sensors has gone out meaning the entire front end sensors are not working. And the back driver door will not lock with the remote and this needs replaced. Again, all fairly minor issues but concerns me seeing as it is only a 17. Anyone else seeing any of these issues?

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
I suggest that you check out your paperwork

I found out that the Finance Officer at the Dodge Dealership had sold me an Extended Warranty that was good for 5 years with my 2009 Dodge Ram, It was just a basic extended warranty, it didn't cover all the bells & whistles.
He had not told me about it, until i brought it up & he just said that almost everyone gets some kind of extended warranty & because i use my Vehicles for business & put on about 20,000 miles year, he more or less just added it in.
Afterwards i decided to upgrade it to a Maximum Care Lifetime Extended Warranty

When i bought the 2016 Eco-diesel, i tried buying the same Maximum Care Lifetime Extended Warranty, but they don't allow it when the vehicle is a diesel

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have mentioned I did get the Maximum Care warranty meaning that the work they are doing soon will only cost me the $200 which is the deductible. I'm still not happy that these issues are starting to pop up already. I purchased this after totally my F-150 with over 100,000 on the odometer and it had practically no issues beyond routine maintenance. Hopefully these issues will be the end for a bit.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think he wants to get a sense of what kind of stuff fails on these trucks after the basic warranty expires.

An extended warranty is not a bad idea: chryslers don't age very well because they're built with alot of substandard parts - thats just how they are. They're not terrible, but its just something to be aware of. Thats the hidden price we pay the lower price tag. You can't really neglect these things like you can a ford. I personally came from a 2001 Chevy 2500, which was totaled at 220k with plenty of fight left in it.

I'm used to working with cars, and I own a jeep myself, so I don't mind dealing with chrysler's shenanigans. Most people however just want a cheap reliable form of transportation without being super anal about maintenance or dealing with random miscellaneous crap that breaks.

I have 82k miles on mine. Heres a list of things I've replaced so far outside of maintenance (in the order in which they occurred):
(Note that I do my own maintenance - so the price shown is only the price of the parts, not labor.)

- Injectors (~$500: hard start, got worse with a strong gas smell on cold start. leak test confirmed injectors were leaking)
- Sway bar bushings (~$30: noticed they were shot when installing leveling kit)
- Muffler (~$35: noticed it bulging at the ends - i simply replaced it with a 3 inch pipe)
- Transmission Solenoid ($350 not including fluid: sudden awkward 1-2 shift, limp mode, CEL P0750)
- Rear coil springs ($180: bottomed out when i grabbed a bunch of mulch for a friend)
- Evap Purge Control valve ($55: An intermittent P0456 turned into a P0441)

These aren't including various connectors and bolts that I noticed were in questionable shape, or things that likely had accelerated wear from offroad use (I also needed struts, a CV axle, upper control arm bushings, and had to rewire my drive side headlight wiring harness).

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I had a fuel pressure sensor go at 62k, $70 to replace.

I had to replace the rear main and DS front axle seals 2 months ago; I think that has more to do with my wife letting it sit for 8 months on my last deployment than a problem with the seals themselves. The parts weren't expensive, but the rear main is a bit of a **** to get to.

I did the front wheel bearings at 75k. I attribute that to them not being greasable and driving through high (flood) water and mud, but I've also read of a couple people who only got about that out of theirs also.. OEM brakes lasted to about 75k also

Other than that its just been fluids and regular maintenance. I am right at 80k now

1 - 5 of 5 Posts