DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought my Ram and I noticed that the stock jack that came with the truck was a joke to say the least. I am still trying to decide what type of jack to buy for it. I am going to put a camper shell on the back so I was thinking it would be fine to get a floor jack for it but I'm still not sure. Does anyone use a bottle jack? They are cheaper and much less bulky but I'm afraid of stability issues with one.

My truck is leveled and running 33's and I don't plan to do any serious offroading, just driving a lot of "4WD" roads in remote areas, so I do want a jack I can count on in the wilderness.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at those as well, but are they safe to use on stock bumpers? I read you need special bumpers with jack points to use one of those jacks.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
i just use the stock one, it is snarrow but works quite well, I doubt they have changed them much from 04 to now... a piece of 3/4 plywood and a cut off of 2x10 for added height helps on the side of the road...

I guess to add, at my place I use a 3 1/2 ton floor jack but the other one that came with the truck i leave in the truck just in case

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I just keep various short lengths of 2x4 in the truck to spread the load when using it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
In my truck I have the stock jack, a 6 ton, a 8 ton, and 30 ton bottle jacks. I use the 30 ton as mainly a stand as to get it under my truck the truck has to be lifted with the tires off the ground anyway. Never any stability issues with the bottle jacks, just make sure to check the oil in them every so often. I've never had to use any of them on the side of the road but in that situation no jack is really good. Keep your stock jack, and use it for back up if your worried. I just can't see running around with a floor jack everywhere.

·
Registered
492 Posts
as far as in the truck, I have the factory one, it's designed for the truck so I'm not worried. At the house, I have a 3 1/2 ton floor jack that gets used with jack stands if anything is done to the truck.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
I have the factory jack under my passenger side front seat & it will only be a back up jack
i have a nice floor jack with a carry case, rated at 2 1/4 tons & it goes with me everywhere
actually i have 2 of this type of jack in carry cases
1 is from Craftsman, that is in my Ram toolbox
the other is an all aluminum racing jack, i believe it is made by Kobalt

of course i have a large heavy 3 ton floor jack for use in my garage

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well if you say bottle jacks work I believe you! I would prefer to go that route because they are so much less bulky than a floor jack.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
The only problem with a bottle jack is that you sometimes have to drive onto boards or sand bags to get the vehicle high enough to get the bottle jack under something solid enough to jack on

·
Registered
160 Posts
I used to keep a nice 2 1/2 ton Craftsman floor jack with foot pedal in the tool box of my 03, but it disappeared when the truck was stolen. After I got the 06 2500, I had to use the stock jack when I got a flat at work and was surprised at how good it was. Yes, it looks like a joke, but it was surprisingly very capable, so much that I don't bother to carry anything else unless I am hauling a trailer, then I bring along my 2 1/2 ton Harbor Freight floor jack (wasn't going to spend the money for a nice Craftsman again!). I've actually had to change more trailer tires than truck tires! My son carries one of those small 2 1/4 ton floor jacks in the plastic case for his Dakota.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I simply call road side assistance. I've gotten where I almost refuse to crawl underneath the truck on the side of the road to change a flat.

I do have a 2 ton floor jack that I use at home though

Exco

·
Registered
565 Posts
The only problem with a bottle jack is that you sometimes have to drive onto boards or sand bags to get the vehicle high enough to get the bottle jack under something solid enough to jack on
Both my 6 and 8 ton jack will fit nicely under either control arm, both also had a pad the unscrews to give it another 4-5" of lift. I've never had an issue using these jacks exclusively for everything I've done on either my Ram or F150. My Ram, like his is also leveled with 33" tires, actually I put my leveling kit on with these jacks. The only thing resembling a floor jack I have owned was a 2 1/4 trolley jack that I trashed as it was useless in getting a tire off the ground without a piece of 4x4.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just ordered a 20-ton bottle jack from Harbor Freight (perfect timing since they are on sale right now). I will just keep some blocks of wood in the truck as well in case I need something to jack on. I will also keep my stock jack in the truck since it doesn't take up any extra space sitting below the passenger seat. Just in case I need it. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
When I have the topper on, I carry a 2.5t floor jack and some scrap lumber. When the topper is off, I carry a 6t bottle jack and some scrap 2x6 under the back seat. Never had a problem with either jack, other than the floor jack is real sluggish at -30* and colder. I've had to use both on the side of the road in the past on older trucks and never once worried about their capacity or tipping over. Having some scrap 4x4's to utilize as wheel chocks are also handy to keep on hand if you have room in a tool box for them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I forgot to mention I do have wheel chocks and jack stands that I will keep in the truck also. You can never be too safe!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts