DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...just taking a poll to see what type lift jack everyone is using. I've got a bottle but am thinking of investing in a floor jack for my 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 4x4.

Thoughts?

TY

NY

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
I would not buy a jack from Harbor Freight, i would not trust it

2 nights ago i was at the local Tractor Supply Store, they had several floor jacks in stock
I saw one brand that i would not buy, because i never heard of it.

They had several sizes of the Torin brand Big Red
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catalog/jacks-stands-ramps

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I would not buy a jack from Harbor Freight, i would not trust it

They all are made overseas anyway including Torin Big Red. I had mine for 20+ years and the only thing i did was replace the casters on it.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Jack I stole from my Dads Body Shop or his Car Dealership, can;t remember which, about 35+ years ago. Biggest one he had. Thing is still a Beast.

Took it in, to get worked on, just because, but the tech at the hydraulic place took one look at it and said it will outlive all of us.

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
I have one floor jack that i lent out, it came back inop, i still want to get it repaired, it has a steel lifting pad on it that must be twice as large as the modern lifting pads

There used to be a guy here in town that only worked with hydraulics, his shop used to be seemingly cluttered with every kind of jack.
He would not work on anything made in China/Taiwan, because the O rings were almost impossible to replace, size wise & quality of the rubber.

I talked to a guy at Discount Tire & they have a guy that repairs all of theirs, i need to find out who it is

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I have a 3 ton floor jack that I have put on blocks so it will lift my truck. It’s been too short since I put taller tires on it. Mines just leveled, not lifted. What do people use for their taller trucks?

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
If i am going to be working on any vehicle that does not include the tires being removed
I use ramps
If the vehicle is on asphalt, i use the plastic ramps
If it is on concrete, i can use either the steel or plastic ramps
https://allgaragefloors.com/5-best-car-ramps/

because i have the air damn, i have to use 2 X 6s to lengthen the approach angle
Then i scoot the wood out of the way to work on the truck

companies make floor jack extensions, i don't know how tight fitting they are

https://www.google.com/search?q=floor+jack+extension&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjFsfKXvcnfAhXFilQKHcArDk8QsAR6BAgBEAE&biw=1333&bih=655

You can also buy rubber pucks that give you some extra height

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
He would not work on anything made in China/Taiwan, because the O rings were almost impossible to replace

If you have the old packings(seals o rings etc..) You can send them out to get matched up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts