Votes: 85 34.4%
  • Other (higher)

Votes: 62 25.1%
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im gunna be home from this tour in less then two weeks and im just curious about the octane tune people are using and there pros vs. cons..... What does it do when u set it to a higher octane and vice verse...... Let me know what u guys think....

·
Registered
666 Posts
I use the 91 octane tune and it seems to give me a little more seat of the pants omph. The mileage in the winter averages around 17 mpg on the highway. However I don't drive very much anymore, just to the VA for medical treatment and home, 210 miles round trip.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
I'm using the 93 tune, it's great. Just like the 91 tune, you're not supposed to tow or haul with it due to all the timing advance. That's the only drawback but I rarely have a lot of weight in the truck anyway, it's usually less than 500 lb and I don't worry about that. During periods where I am often hauling loads I'll switch to the 91 tune and still run 93 octane and this works out well. When towing heavy loads I used to run the tow tune, but it seems like most people run the 87 tune on 91 or 93 octane with good results.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you guys had any jerking when its shifting? Ive just heard from other people with the tunes on they experience jerking when shifting

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Nothing like that here (I use superchips)

Now there is some "jerking" such as a firmer shift due to the trans tuning and disabling torque management....but that's just a firmer shift, not "jerking".

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats good stuff i cant wait to go home and mess with it lol

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Cool. I've been thinking of trying out diablo as well to compare to the SC...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That would make one good write up comparing the two.....what mods are u running with your tune ...i mean is it customized down to tell it i have a CAI on and a exhaust?

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
I currently just have the tune, a drop in airaid air filter, modular intake tube from stock airbox to throttle body, and mech fan delete. I will be adding ram air, billet higher stall converter, aftermarket y pipe and a straight through muffler. Also may try to buy/make headers. That's about all I'll be doing.

I don't think so, although I saw on diablo's site they have "cai tunes"....superchips just has 87, 91, 93 performance tunes, tow tune, stock tune, and mileage xs tune (at least for my model).

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmmmm makes me wonder what kinda stuff ill be able to do i saw on there site the stuff im supposed to be able to which i had no idea what they were talking about..... so im hoping its as simple as saying ok this is the tire size i have and this is what i want outta this tune now do it lol

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
lol it's pretty straight forward. What'd you get, predator? trinity? intune?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
predator....... i heard they pretty much do the same thing so y pay more for the same thing??

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Yeah I've heard the same. I'd like the ability to adjust the tune on the go though.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
y not just have the tuner in the center console and pull off for a second throw it on and push on.....lol i guess thats my back up plan

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Yeah it's just that I know with my superchips it takes a minimum of about 10 min and up to 20 min to load the tune...

·
Registered
747 Posts
I got the Diablo
You will love it on the 91 tune, I love mine. Take some time reading up on the trans tuning, it makes a world of difference in driving. I can send you my current settings if you like. Best $160 ive spent.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts