DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Ram 1500 Laramie i want front hooks where can i get them and i would like to fit a hidden winch too. i have the stock 20s on it but i want to level my truck with the Bilstein 5100 kit and put 17inch wheels with 35inch tires iv heard that will fit. well thats what im starting with if yall guys can think of anything else i shoud try to get let me know

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just a heads up, the speedo will need to be recalibrated switching wheel and tire size. If you already knew that, whoops!

Anyways, I always liked the 2 tube bed bars (for the life of me can't think of the name) with the KC's on em.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Ya I would say the leveling kit and tires is a great idea, defiantly some tow hooks on the front and back and a winch and some offroad lights would be a great idea!!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
And a good snatch strap is a must

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont need a light bar i have 4 Hella 500's behind my grille. the toe hooks is the next on my list the back of my truck is fine i have a solid steel hitch with a 2 5/8 ball (if i break that i need to leave the truck where it is and walk away lol) the winch might be last because of money. and yeah a snatch strap is what iv been looking at for a while idk what brand i should get there's the bucked up snatch rope and the arb stuff idk which one i want.

·
Registered
752 Posts
There's definitely enough room between the bumper and the front cross member for a winch, the BIG problem is mounting.

The front of a 1500's frame has flat plates that the bumper mounts onto. This makes it impossible to use 2500/3500 tow hooks without heavy modification, it also makes it impossible to use the factory tow hooks with a hidden winch. The factory bar boxes in the front side of the frame adding stiffeness and strength, but making the room behind in completely useless.

These issues can be solved with the addition of an Iron Bull, Buckstop, Road Armor, Ranchand, or similar bumper.

Me and my buddy and Grandfather built a towhook system with two class I receivers that come out the front of the bumper. The D-rings/clevises/hooks mount onto square stock that my buddy milled and drilled out every inch and they can be removed and turned 90 degrees to pull from the side.

We are working on making a grill guard/light bar that keeps functionality while allowing you to turn over tow "plugs"

Here's a pic from right after we did it, I've since had it re-powdercoated black and red.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/Luke_Duke/Truck Pics/dsc00310.jpg

Luke

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's pretty cool what you've done but iv seen a guy on here that had the tow( for some reason earler I put toe lol) hooks but made some mods to put a winch in right under it

·
Registered
752 Posts
that's pretty cool what you've done but iv seen a guy on here that had the tow( for some reason earler I put toe lol) hooks but made some mods to put a winch in right under it
You could do it if you cut the bumper or cut a hole in the bar. The fairlead would still be aproblem though.

Luke

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
i woud put a good receiver on the front and get a winch for it. always use a synthetic strap with the winch. you most likely knew that though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts