DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

My name's Andrew and I'm currently a Dodge Dakota owner. I am going to be upgrading to a Ram, either 1500 or 2500, I just can't really decide. This is where you come in! I've done some research and don't want a diesel anymore. I'm wanting gas engine for sure, either 5.7 or 5.9. If you guys could reply with your findings, experiences or any other knowledge you have about the engines(hemi/MDS hemi/magnum), drive trains, suspensions(live axle/IFS) or anything else to help me make a decision on my new truck, it would help a bunch!

To keep in mind, I do my own work on my truck and love Wheelin'!

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
Welcome to this RamforumZ

gasoline engines now are the 6 cylinder, i think 3.7 L
small 8 cylinder 4.7L about 318 size
Hemi 5.7L
Then the diesel

the 5.7L is in the 1500, 2500 & 3500 series, the 1500 has MDS, it cuts down to 4 cylinders when horse power is not needed, it can be bad or good, depending on how you use the truck
The 1500 has a car like ride with coil springs
the others have leaf springs & are a REAL use truck
The 1500 has a light use transmission

The rear ends available are
3.21 ratio, best gas mileage, would be ok if you only pull or haul stuff under a ton
3.55 ratio with or without LSD, fair mileage, a little bit better for towing & hauling
3.92 ratio with or without LSD, a bit less MPG, much better for towing/hauling, most recommended ratio with LSD
4.11 ratio less mileage again, great for pulling heavier loads

Get the tow package, no matter which model & rear end ratio that you decide to get, it gives you the heavy duty radiator, & other very useful advantages

I suggest that you don't get a Ram with the RES radio, it is the Base model radio
The 3 letters will be on the radios face, lower right bottom corner

Good Luck & keep researching

·
Registered
21 Posts
I highly recommend getting a regular cab short bed outdoorsman, as long as u don't need room for more then 3 passengers (most people want it but don't need it) and u don't need an 8 foot bed (again most people don't) then this truck should satisfy all ur needs, it'll tow 10,000 lbs, its a little faster than a crew cab since it weighs atleast 600 pounds less, its also available with nearly every other option including hemi 5.7 alpine system nam power seats etc. bit if u can do without all the extras than get the express or tradesman, they're probly the best deals in full size trucks today. I have a 2012 express.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I had a 97 regular cab, a 2007 hemi quad cab, and now an 05 4.7 regular cab again, all 1500's. I'm looking for another quad cab, those back seats come in handy and now that I'm married I got dogs. A short bed regular cab with a leer shell is really pratical, otherwise I need the quad. You can't go wrong with a 1500 quad 5.7 hemi, the 4.7 is a pretty strong engine also, mpg is about the same. Oh yeah the quad seems like twice the truck than the regular cab when you wash it.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Are you looking at used or new? As said the new engines are the v6, the 4.7L v8, and the 5.7L Hemi v8. Personally if you use it for anything at all more than a daily driver, to and from work, and want it to have some oomph get at least the 4.7L. The 4.7L is fairly strong, I like mine. If you want to race or whatever then get the hemi. All the engines are great and reliable.

If you are looking at used, I'd definitely get the 5.7L over the 5.9L. The hemi will get better mpg, it is more reliable, and has way more power.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Also, if you didn't know, the 4.7L was changed in 2008 and the older version was 235hp 295lbft, the newer version is 310hp 330lb ft. It's a pretty significant difference. The 5.7L hemi was also changed around 2009 I think, the old version was 345hp 375ish lbft, the new version is 390hp 410lbft.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would recommend the 1500 crew with the HEMI 5.7! I purchased mine after a lot of research and test drives. It has more hp than any stock truck I have driven and better handling. I also have the tow package and wouldn't recommend purchasing one without it!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I got the 2500 for these reasons:

I need to tow 10K. I mean comfortably within the capacity of the truck, not at the limit.
I wanted the Mega Cab with the 6.5' bed
I wanted a solid front axle 4x4 (Hated my IFS 4x4 previously -weak)
I believe the truck will be longer lasting with stronger parts throughout
HUGE Brakes!
The cost of the 2500 was negligible considering the overall price tag
The ride quality of my 2500 is Fantastic (compared to my 04' duramax)

I came from diesel to the Hemi. also and have been very content with the capability of this motor :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
As was said, if you're looking at used, definitely go hemi over the 5.9. The 360's were bulletproof motors, but were bolted to trannys that had a limited life it seems like and they def. don't produce the same power. Especially at the mpg's. Hemi is miles ahead of the 5.9. I love my truck, I got a Quad Cab 4x4 Larami. It's 3rd gen, but it's perfect for me and I'll never ever go back to a single cab, I got too much crap to haul around for no back seat. Plus, seating for 6 comes in handy on bar night... lol.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
If you can, go 4th gen. Worlds above the 3rd, and not even in the same league as the 2nd gen. I sacrificed the Hemi to have the rest of the truck the way I wanted (bought used), but if you dont have to, get a 4th gen with the Hemi, you will NOT regret your purchase.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Which truck

Get the new 2500 dodge is going to make or already has, it has a 8 gal gas tank to start on and then switches to Natural Gas. Just had a wright up in our local paper.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
when people say go 5.9, they are generally speaking of the cummins diesel. or at least i am.
I, personally refer to the it as the cummins myself. When I say 5.9 im talking about the old monster 360. Just my .02 cents. :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Get a 4th gen. with 3.92 rear axle with you incline to buy a RAM HEMI 1500. I am very happy with my 2012 RAM. Dodge dealers are giving about 10.000 off off the sticker price on new trucks.

Take in consideration about your needs:
- heaving Towing vs. occasionally towing
- 4x4 vs. 4x2
- 5.7 vs 4.7
- 3.55 vs 3.92 rear axle
and other options

Do you really need a 2.500 HEMI?. My 1500 tow my trailer without problems.
2500 is stronger if you need towing more than 10.000 lbs.

I used to own a Chevy 2500 HD and had a poor MPG, that was my last 2500 I owned. Now I know a 1500 will be enough for my needs.

Good luck to you!

Read this article if you can http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2010-dodge-ram-2500-laramie-mega-cab-4x4-short-take-road-test

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can only speak from my experience, but I found a 2011 1500 crew cab with the sport pkg and the 5.7 hemi and I get pumped up every time I get in it. I use my old beater truck (14 years old and 160000 miles) to work in and just use the new one for trips and around town, but love the way it drives and cant complain about the gas mileage. (17 in town and 20+ on the hwy). Got all the luxury crap in it and the wife even likes it. Dont tow with it but could if I needed to. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I really don't mean to talk negatively about the 1500. The Sport I test drove gave me the biggest grin, it's a fantastic truck. But coil springs on a trucks rear end? That's what Suburbans have and if you've ever seen a suburban with a load, you can tell.

I've said this before, but the fact is that it all depends on what your intention is. I strongly believe that if you're ever going to haul or tow more than 80% of the rated capacity of the truck: go to the next level.

That said, I think the 1500 will be totally fine for most folks, especially if you put air bags on to give you that stable feeling when loaded.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
I really don't like that people spread word around that coil springs on a truck is a terrible idea. It's not the fact that it's a coil spring setup, it's the fact that if you load something to it's limit then it is simply that; at it's limit. If you take a 1500 with leaf springs that's rated at 8,000 lbs and put 8,000 lbs on it and it sags and feels somewhat usntable, does that mean that leaf springs are not a suitable suspension for trucks? ...no...so why does it mean that with coils?

I've had a few leaf spring trucks and now this coil spring truck. I will say that I rarely tow, but I do haul a lot. Not only that, but I often haul more than the truck is rated for. I find the coils to handle the loads equally as well as the leafs. They give a better ride supposedly (I don't really care or pay attention to this, but I'm sure it's true...). The biggest benefit to me is just simply a better design, better suspension travel, articulation, tracking, etc... without any capacity sacrifice. There is more overall suspension travel maybe, but why is that bad?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts