DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had some time to kill over the weekend. I stopped by the shop I use to service my other vehicles.

So I asked what it would cost to change the oil in my 3500 Dually! Are you sitting down for this. 145 bucks!

My jaw dropped and I crapped my drawers. 145 bucks for an oil change! I only want the oil changed, I'm not buying the oil company.

This has got to be another chapter in the book I'm writing.

Does anyone know what a good price is for getting the oil changed should be?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow that thing holds 12 qts of oil. Synthetic at that. The oil filter is about 10. The fuel filter is 40. That is about 120 just for parts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you crapped your drawers for the price of the $145 oil change for your 3500 dually, i am glad I wasn't at the dealership when you signed the paperwork to buy it.

·
Banned
2,118 Posts
Slot of people would see the fuel efficiency numbers of a diesel and decide they wanted one. Maintenance will cost you more in the long run.
I recommend paying the couple dollars more for the cummins fuel filter and change it religiously. Even though they aren't even really to spec, an sordid system is a good investment. Much better then $390 am injector.
Parts ain't cheap, the trucks called a heavy duty for a reason

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
the maintenance is why i didn't get a diesel, i use to have a 3500 but it was a v10

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don't know what dealer you went too but Chrysler sends me service coupons and I get mine changed at Lithia for $44.95. I'd never pay $145.00 thats nuts.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I paid 79.00 for an oil change and tire rotation at the local dealer and I thought that I was paying too much, but 145.00 just for an oil change, ouch!!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep... 145 bucks just for an oil change nothing else came with it. Not even a tube of KY! They even broke down the cost. 85 bucks for the labor and the rest was for oil, filter and shop fees. And it was just plain ole oil. The filter they said they did not have and would get a "Blue Label". They also stated they did not have a lift and would have to floor change it.

For my gassers I don't pay any more than 30.00, but they hold no more than 5 qts of oil. I can see more as it takes some many qts, but the 145 bucks totally threw me.

I knew the fuel was more. I've been using gas buddy to locate a station for that.

I've been paying 3.85 a gallon. It's as high as 4.25 in some places, even a few blocks down the road from that station that sells it for 3.85.

I'm telling you everything about this truck has been a pain in the butt. Can't park it in my assigned parking slot at work as they complain about the length and width. So I have to park it in the back 40, which I don’t mind. Was having issues at home as I live within an HOA and the truck tags were driving them nuts. I've got that ironed out as long as I don't use it commercially, have lettering or have stuff in the bed. Got busted from “EZ Pass” as it was classified as its commercial due to the weight, number of tires and tags stating truck on them. I had back up for that so I was able to get out of that. Even buying it was a pain. I ended up getting it out of SC as the nit wits here in Northern Virginia did not have anything in stock nor were they willing to get it. I went through Costco, USAA and another buying service. Those only work if they have it in stock. No body was interested in locating one. I actually ended up better off buying it out of state as it was much cheaper, less hassle, the sales guy was super nice. Got none of that wear you down crap that you normally get and paid only 150.00 processing fee where as it’s anywhere from 150.00 to 600.00 here depending on the dealer. In my mind I got a good deal on the wheels. But it’s been another full time job getting over the hurdles with it.

I’m going to call around and see what I can find. I’ve been able to change oil in my drive on my gassers, but it’s a no-no too. If I can get it done real fast and discreet it’s not been a problem.

·
Registered
312 Posts
52,000 lb GVWR

Parts
2 half gallon oil filters ($10 Each)
one cartridge type fuel filter ($6)
10 gallons of oil (11.50 each)
$10 worth of grease

Tax on parts excluding oil and grease.

Labor

Total $200

$145 seems excessive to me on a truck only needs one oil filter and one fuel filter.

I understand the fuel filters are very pricey. You might consider using a filter setup from the Medium Duty 6.7L or a Davco setup (They are approved by Cat, Cummmins, M-B/Detroit and Volvo). I can get cartridge filters that meet Bosch 3-5 Micron requirements for $6 for my Davco.

·
Banned
2,118 Posts
What kind of oil are you using?
We either use rotella or the cummins approved valvoline oil which is usually around $20 a gallon x3 there's $60 in just oil. $10 for an oil filter. $40-45 for a fuel filter. An hour labor at say $35 an hour plus tax and other misc. charges
Sadly that the cost of having a dealer do it. Even doing yourself isn't cheap.
I just did oil and filters on a dt466, 55 for fuel filter and water seperator, $27 for oil filter and 8 gallons of oil. Maybe took 45 minutes to do it all then another 3 hours to get it to reprime

·
Registered
1 Posts
Someone posted they paid$49.95 for a diesel oil change?
The parts at Autozone are $70 bucks!! They must be lying.
Yep... 145 bucks just for an oil change nothing else came with it. Not even a tube of KY! They even broke down the cost. 85 bucks for the labor and the rest was for oil, filter and shop fees. And it was just plain ole oil. The filter they said they did not have and would get a "Blue Label". They also stated they did not have a lift and would have to floor change it.

For my gassers I don't pay any more than 30.00, but they hold no more than 5 qts of oil. I can see more as it takes some many qts, but the 145 bucks totally threw me.

I knew the fuel was more. I've been using gas buddy to locate a station for that.

I've been paying 3.85 a gallon. It's as high as 4.25 in some places, even a few blocks down the road from that station that sells it for 3.85.

I'm telling you everything about this truck has been a pain in the butt. Can't park it in my assigned parking slot at work as they complain about the length and width. So I have to park it in the back 40, which I don’t mind. Was having issues at home as I live within an HOA and the truck tags were driving them nuts. I've got that ironed out as long as I don't use it commercially, have lettering or have stuff in the bed. Got busted from “EZ Pass” as it was classified as its commercial due to the weight, number of tires and tags stating truck on them. I had back up for that so I was able to get out of that. Even buying it was a pain. I ended up getting it out of SC as the nit wits here in Northern Virginia did not have anything in stock nor were they willing to get it. I went through Costco, USAA and another buying service. Those only work if they have it in stock. No body was interested in locating one. I actually ended up better off buying it out of state as it was much cheaper, less hassle, the sales guy was super nice. Got none of that wear you down crap that you normally get and paid only 150.00 processing fee where as it’s anywhere from 150.00 to 600.00 here depending on the dealer. In my mind I got a good deal on the wheels. But it’s been another full time job getting over the hurdles with it.

I’m going to call around and see what I can find. I’ve been able to change oil in my drive on my gassers, but it’s a no-no too. If I can get it done real fast and discreet it’s not been a problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts