DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies if a similar thread has already been posted. I did a search and couldn't find any actual thread on engine oil preferences.

Yes, there are many threads where people are talking about changing oil, and some state what they're using.

Again, if I screwed up my search and this is a duplicate, please delete.

Ok, so the question. What brand of engine oil do you use in your truck?
And change times, too, if you want.

I am thinking of doing my first oil change at 3k, switching to something like Castrol full synth(only because of past good experiences). But have also read good things about Mobil and Redline.

After the first 3k, will be going to 5-8k, depending on what the computer tells me and my driving conditions.

Comments/opinions?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I was using Royal Purple API but recently switched over to Valvoline full syn for both. High mileage for the Ram (78,500 mi) and regular for the Durango today. Its like $15 cheaper for a jug of Valvoline

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I was using Royal Purple API but recently switched over to Valvoline full syn for both. High mileage for the Ram (78,500 mi) and regular for the Durango today. Its like $15 cheaper for a jug of Valvoline

Valvoline might be just fine nowadays. But I won't use it, just because of working as an auto parts store counter guy for a couple years(early college) in the early 80s. There were some serious horror stories about it back then in the auto parts industry. But that is just early life bias, on my part.

It might be completely different now. I honestly haven't kept up on that stuff in the past 30+ years. Just have used Castrol for a long time, with early bias due to my motorcycling days way back when. Just started to get back into that stuff when I joined this forum.

This forum has been great for re-opening my sleepy eyes. :)

Also, Thunder, 78k isn't high mileage for a truck, especially since you obviously take good care of it.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I don't consider it high mileage until 200,000 but thats when they recommend changing it. The additive package is all thats different

I know there are a lot of oldsters who won't run Pennzoil, never heard that about Valvoline. That's what dad used in our 275,000+ mile plymouth van. I don't like Castrol because of their chickenshit legal victory that made "synthetic" a meaningless marketing term

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't consider it high mileage until 200,000 but thats when they recommend changing it. The additive package is all thats different

I know there are a lot of oldsters who won't run Pennzoil, never heard that about Valvoline. That's what dad used in our 275,000+ mile plymouth van. I don't like Castrol because of their chickenshit legal victory that made "synthetic" a meaningless marketing term

Yea, Penzoil was also an evil brand back in the 80s to us oldsters....lol.
(Penzoil had much worse horror stories than Valvoline)

Good info on Castrol. Thanks!

Still wanting to hear from the Redline fans, as I currently know next to nothing on current oil brands plusses and minuses.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I use Redline for my diffs, but as often as I change engine oil I want something off the shelf

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,662 Posts
Royal Purple HPS, don't care what the manual or FCA says to put in from sponsors. Their HMX line is specifically formulated for 75K+ mile engines.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
About 75K on the dash and after first dealer oil change have used PUP last two oil changes, and have enough for the next one. After that considering going to Valvoline full syn as its off the shelf. No sign of lifter/cam problems yet. Bought the truck used two years ago, have no idea what previous owner used. The next change I'm going to send out a sample of oil for analysis.

·
Registered
115 Posts
There's many fans of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum specific to the Hem 5.7 I have read about in several places with its high Moly additive and potential ability to address the lifter issues.
Redline and Royal Purple have there various fans as well...Redline has the momentum it seems along with the Pennzoil.

I'm also heading to my first oil change as I just now approach 1500 miles, probably hold until just over 2k and start hunting more in earnest for a synthetic to be preferred.

I used Castrol exclusively in my many Hondas over the years and it always kept flawless performance.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I am a fan of Royal Purple too, I'm just not sure its $15/jug better when I'm changing at 6000 miles.

Pennzoil is the factory oil and tye recommended oil from FCA-I think its probably the most used oil in these engines and if it were the solution to the valvetrain issues they would be less common. But I also don't think the valvetrain issues are an oil problem, I think they are a cam or lifter QC concern

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am a fan of Royal Purple too, I'm just not sure its $15/jug better when I'm changing at 6000 miles.

Pennzoil is the factory oil and tye recommended oil from FCA-I think its probably the most used oil in these engines and if it were the solution to the valvetrain issues they would be less common. But I also don't think the valvetrain issues are an oil problem, I think they are a cam or lifter QC concern
Seems the theory of the valvetrain being a QC issue can be argued as much as anything else for available info. As many of the reported failures just around here have come from folks "babying" the trucks, you could assume top quality care included good oil.
Admittedly, the lifter/cam issue has me running for all available potential remedies to keep it away.

I don't think the Pennzoil "Ultra Platinum" is the factory recommended oil is it? That's where the extra Moly comes in.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
The regular platinum doesn't have moly? Ultra plat isn't available off the shelf anywhere I've ever been so at that point I'd just as soon use a real group 4 or 5 synthetic like Redline or Amsoil

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,662 Posts
Here are a couple Blackstone reports I found from a few years ago. I'm sure there are more out there and the chemical properties may have deviated slightly since.

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,279 Posts
The OP for this thread has a 3500 with the 6.4 Hemi, as do I, but most of the comments in this thread so far are from people with the 5.7 Hemi.
Best I can tell from shopping around there's a lot more brand choice on store shelves for 5-W20 viscosity oils than there is for the 0-W40 viscosity specified for the 6.4.

FCA recommends Pennzoil Ultra 0-W40 specifically for this engine, and the local RAM dealer put Pennzoil Ultra in our truck at the free 3000 mile oil change. I haven't seen that oil on the shelf anywhere, not at any auto parts store or box store.

I just recently gave the truck its second oil change and used Mobil One Full Synthetic O-W40 because that was what I was able to find on the shelf at a reasonable price.

My own preference is to change the oil about every 5K or so, and with that kind of OCI any quality oil which meets the viscosity specs is going to be just fine regardless of brand, so I shop around for whatever bargains I can find. I'll use almost any off-the-shelf nationally available brand at all—Penzoil. Mobil, Quaker State, Castrol, Valvoline, whatever—so long as it meets the viscosity specs, and I've never had an engine failure that could be attributed to inadequate lubrication in more than 50 years using this approach.
I've never used the upscale (ie, more expensive) "boutique" brand oils simply because I've never felt that with the relatively frequent OCI's I use, the extra expenditure is justified. I'm sure they're great, and if I ran my engines on a less frequent OCI schedule, I'd probably be tempted to use them.

So far as the "synthetic" label goes, I've not yet seen any oils on the shelf anywhere with a 0-W40 viscosity rating which are not labeled "full synthetic". Or any 0-W20 oils either for that matter, which is the viscosity specified for our Subaru.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
About everyone with a 5W20 synthetic makes a 0W40 in the same line, I don't think its possible to make a 0W40 non synthetic

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
About everyone with a 5W20 synthetic makes a 0W40 in the same line, I don't think its possible to make a 0W40 non synthetic
That's good to know.
All I could find on the shelf in 0-W40 around here, and I really spent a bit of time looking, was Mobil One and one other but I've forgotten what brand it was. I've not forgotten that it was $3 a quart more expensive though.
There were several more brand options on the shelf for the 5-W20 though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I get the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 shipped from Amazon. With Amazon Prime and using the "subscribe and save" feature, I get 15% off because I bundle it with other items we use regularly. I get a case shipped every 3 months, I change the oil every 5k miles.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I get the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 shipped from Amazon. With Amazon Prime and using the "subscribe and save" feature, I get 15% off because I bundle it with other items we use regularly. I get a case shipped every 3 months, I change the oil every 5k miles.
OK, with the 15% off, what do you end up paying per quart?

·
Registered
44 Posts
OK, with the 15% off, what do you end up paying per quart?

With 15% off, it is $6.29 per quart + tax. What's odd is, you can buy a case of six quarts, but it's more than buying six quarts separately. My subscription is for seven quarts, which is a few dollars less than a case of six. Go figure...

Per quart $6.29:
https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550...32454440&sr=1-2&keywords=Ultra+Platinum+0W-40

Per case $45.48:
https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550...32454440&sr=1-1&keywords=Ultra+Platinum+0W-40

1 - 20 of 46 Posts