DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question. Please let me know if I should put this in a different place.

My wife and I are considering a Ram 1500 crew cab for our family of five (the two of us and three young boys).

We have some fairly specific requirements:
2013 or 2014, crew cab, 5.7L, tow package, power driver's seat AND 40-20-40 front bench (to accommodate extra kid or to split the kids up). There are not many trucks out there that fit our specific needs.

Here is my current situation: A dealer has a loaded 2013 5.7L SIX speed Big Horn SLT with all of our requirements on hold for us. It is very nice and it will sell quickly apparently. Another dealer has told me I would be much better off spending exactly $5000 more for a very similar truck (Big Horn or Outdoorsman) but brand new with an 8 speed 5.7L Hemi.

Is $5000 more worth a brand new 8 speed? :4-dontknow:We are on a tight budget. I need advice please!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi potentialramowner,

First is the 2013 a new leftover or is it used? If new then you have to decide which better fits your needs. The 8 speed is a nicer tranny but there is nothing wrong with the 6 speed either. If money is tight then go for the 6 speed, if you have an extra 5 grand laying around get the 8 speed.
Welcome

preachp

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have a 8spd 2013 sport, they are out there just takes some searching. The 8spd is a 1k option when ordering new so I don't know how the dealer can justify a 5k markup on it??
Personally I wouldnt have bought the 6spd and I held out for the 8spd.
VERY happy I did!!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Also the 8spd will hold its value longer in terms of resale down the road.
I had a 09 4x4 sport CC that averaged 600kms a tank, my 2013 4x4 sport QQ averages 900kms per tank
Test drive both before making your decision and I think you'll end up with the 8spd. Completely changes the truck for the better IMO
Just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
989 Posts
5K in the college fund vs. 8 speed.
5K for a family trip to Disney World or 8 speed.
5K saved up to buy that first car that all those kids are gonna need to be driving soon or 8 speed.

8 speed it is! HAHAHAHA
Whenever "another dealer teals me it's better to spend $5000 more" I usually start backing away.

·
Registered
877 Posts
It's not just the 8 speed, it's a year newer... Also, the '15s are right around the corner, so that '13 is going to be 2 years old pretty soon. No question, get the '14 if you can swing it...

·
Registered
806 Posts
Calculate your yearly mileage, you can get estimated mpg's on both the 8/6 speeds. Knowing that you can figure yearly fuel cost, and how long the pay back on the 8 speed will take. Just my .02

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi potentialramowner,

First is the 2013 a new leftover or is it used? If new then you have to decide which better fits your needs. The 8 speed is a nicer tranny but there is nothing wrong with the 6 speed either. If money is tight then go for the 6 speed, if you have an extra 5 grand laying around get the 8 speed.
Welcome

preachp
preachp, it is a used 2013 with 20K km on it. Still a tough choice!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 8spd 2013 sport, they are out there just takes some searching. The 8spd is a 1k option when ordering new so I don't know how the dealer can justify a 5k markup on it??
Personally I wouldnt have bought the 6spd and I held out for the 8spd.
VERY happy I did!!!
Thanks, Warwagon! I think the markup is due to it being a brand new vehicle vs. a used one. (+1K for the tranny, +4K for the new truck).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
5K in the college fund vs. 8 speed.
5K for a family trip to Disney World or 8 speed.
5K saved up to buy that first car that all those kids are gonna need to be driving soon or 8 speed.

8 speed it is! HAHAHAHA
Whenever "another dealer teals me it's better to spend $5000 more" I usually start backing away.
Ha, great advice spoiler! You are living up to your username! You've summed up my dilemma perfectly.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Ok the 2013 is used vs a new 2014 so apples to oranges there. Since the 2013 already has a year's worth of miles on it, it's even older than it seems. PLUS a new 2014 can be negotiated easier than a used one due to incentives. You should easily be able to get INVOICE minus half to 100% of holdback PRIOR to rebates. What's the current price on the 2014? Have you really negotiated with him/her or is just their initial price? Resale and 8 speed and being new would easily drive me to the 8spd 2014.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok the 2013 is used vs a new 2014 so apples to oranges there. Since the 2013 already has a year's worth of miles on it, it's even older than it seems. PLUS a new 2014 can be negotiated easier than a used one due to incentives. You should easily be able to get INVOICE minus half to 100% of holdback PRIOR to rebates. What's the current price on the 2014? Have you really negotiated with him/her or is just their initial price? Resale and 8 speed and being new would easily drive me to the 8spd 2014.
Thanks, Blackhawk13! Both trucks are negotiated, two different dealers. 2013 6 speed = 40k on the road, 2014 8 speed = 45k on the road. Both have options we need. I have pretty much backed away from the 2013 at this point. I'm getting cold feet about spending so much since I've never bought anything even close to new!

·
Registered
7 Posts
5K for moving up a model year and getting a much better option doesn't sound exorbitant to me...anytime you cam move up a year, when a truck is that new, for 4k, you're not doing to bad.

Now if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. That's a different question.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Like the others said, if you can swing the overage, the 8spd is the preferable trans. Both prices on the '13 and '14 seem high to me though?:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought a nicely loaded '13 6 speed a few months ago for $34,000, same needs as your's. I would think you could find a '14 8 speed for under $40,000.
Keep looking. You will be happy when you find your Ram.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts